main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Security at Celebration II?

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by GullyFoyle, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GullyFoyle

GullyFoyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2002
    Anybody have any idea on the security requirements? I know there's already been a discussion about costume weapons, but what about other things? Electronic devices? Backpacks? Bags, etc? Some people mentioned to bring backpacks in with you so you'll have some way to carry stuff around, but unless they have metal detectors, or the conveyor belt x-rays like at the airport, do you think they'll allow people in with big bags and backpacks full of stuff? I know people did it for Celebration I, but this is post 9/11 world now, and this is going to be a huge convention.

I can easily see bags being outlawed at the entrance, and then WotC selling "official Celebration II souvenir bags" once you get inside, and we'll all be forced to buy them in order to be able to carry stuff around.

Anybody have any info on this? I'd hate to be all ready to get in line and then find out I have to haul a bunch of stuff back to the car.

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I've e-mailed Rob Bane at WotC on the costumes and weapons thing and other security issues but I haven't heard much other than "case by case basis."

I seriously doubt electronics will be a problem, there are certain events where flashes are prohobited, events where videography or photography is prohibited, by I imagine most electronics shouldn't be a problem. I doubt backpacks will either. Some people think 9/11 is an excuse to run around like a chicken with it's head cutoff, even going so far as to confiscate "weapons" such as Ghostbuster Proton packs and lightsabres. It's understandable that smaller conventions can't afford anyone with training but I am willing to bet that WotC is paying for some people who know what they are doing. There could be a bag search, though.

But this is just fan speculation, for the real story you should e-mail Rob Bane at WotC.

3. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Just wanted to say that I love your name Gully. Everyone should read that book. Besters collections of short stories are even better, maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.