main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Security (Crossing the boarder between the US and Canada)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by YoungJediNiagara, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I'm not to sure about how secure the boarder crossings are in the Prairies (having the longest unprotected boarder in the world) or out east, but here in Southern Ontario the security was ?stepped up? after 9/11.... at least that was what we were told.

Wednesday night (Thursday morning) I left Canada to take a day trip to Baltimore, Maryland. For those that may not know, I drive trucks for a living and the trip was a "informational trip" to find out if it was something I wanted to do on a more permanent basis. (I'll be able to visit more with other FF Chapters :).)

On the way back I was dropped off on the Lewiston NY side of the Queenston/Lewiston boarder crossing in Southern Ontario. I was dropped off because the driver had to make a route change, and was unable to bring me back into Canada. So I had to walk across the bridge.

After hearing all about how much the security was increased, I figured I?d have to go into a building and empty my gym bag and give a reason why I was walking instead of driving along with showing some form of ID as to who I was and where I lived.

To my shock (and even disgust) I walked UNNOTICED AND UNQUESTIONED right past all the tollbooths and other boarder buildings. (Note: there were no sidewalks, I was walking on the street/bridge.)

For those that have not met me yet, I'm a fairly big guy: 240 lbs, 6 ft 1 in. tall, and I now have a shaved head. I was also carrying a very large gym bag and a large lunch box.
    NO ONE EVEN LOOKED AT ME.

In theory I could have been smuggling drugs in my gym bag, or even carrying a bomb onto the bridge, or even a terrorist trying to escape the US.

I'm thinking of calling them to complain ;).

2. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
  3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    You shaved your head again??

4. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Thats right call them to complain. Demand your full body cavity search! ;)

What time was it when you crossed. I know when I came back from D*C at Windsor that I had a courtesy stop as well. Wasn't even asked if I had bought anything! But it was the only booth open at 2 in the morning when I crossed.

5. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    It was 4:00am when I crossed.

Although I don't think time should make a difference. Yes there is less traffic but the security should still be the same.

6. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    that does really sound kinda scary? now does anyone think the situation would have been different had Chris walked from Canada into the US?

Maybe the boarder people just didnt' care because no person would do anything to Canada? thoughts?

7. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Although the going to the US is a little different, they still ID you going either way...well at least in a car they do.

I can honestly say I'm sure it would not have made any difference what direction I was walking last night.

8. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Hmmm...wonder if I can find any places like that here in New Brunswick? [face_devil]

That is kinda freaky...I don't think you would get away with something like that in New Brunswick. Then again, I'm sure we have a lot more places you can sneak through, with all the woods and stuff around here...

Hey, Chris...when ya gonna make your way out east, huh huh huh??

9. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Although I don't think time should make a difference.

I do. It's a well known fact that terrorists and drug smugglers only work certain hours. :p

10. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    ...and they have hair. [face_laugh]

11. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Thats right call them to complain. Demand your full body cavity search!

The cavity search is becoming very enjoyable, the gaurds are getting better and better. I almost only cross the boarder for the search now. :)

12. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I thought they would step up security as well, but when I crossed the border headed to New York they didn't even check my bags or anything. The conversation basically went something like "I'm a student, I just have clothes." And they let me bring produce in o_O which apparently is illegal (seriously, I don't understand why bringing an apple across the border is not allowed). On the way back, basically same deal, except easier. Maybe I just looked innocent, or maybe it was the Canadian bandana I was wearing on my way back *shrug*.

13. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Its because you are so darn cute ;)

14. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Oh was she wearing the Spidey costume off the shoulder again?

Yeah, that'll explain it.

15. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Hmm well that doesn't explain anything!

I'm just as cute as Debbie is and they search me!

16. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Chris... just a thought, but you were coming into Canada at 4 am. lol. I rememeber a bit about boarder times from when I did Midnights.lol ;)

Coming into Canada seems hugely different form going into the US. Keep in mind that this side isn't trying to find ways to get 30 some billion dollar (so some stupid insanely high amount of cash) for " strengtening" national security while they pull the money from other prgrams... ( ok, so I am a snarky Canadian want-to-be)

As to the cavity Search... Ask for Sarha and tell her you hidden a few bags and want to play hide and seek... You'll get you search;)

17. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    You are not the first to have done this Chris. One guy did it in the middle of the afternoon and reported to the television stations over the summer. The reporters showed how easy it was to do it. Apparently nothing has changed. I guess no one wants to attack Canada. All the terrorists are going the other way.

18. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    I still feel that Chris should try the border into New Brunswick (not that he has to do that coming from Ontario,though, but I think he catches the hint). ;)

19. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Have you seen Chris' driver's license photo?
    That is pretty shocking that you didn't at least get held for questioning/body cavity search.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.