main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seduced by cover art...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Jan 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Just wondering if anybody else shares this problem (and it is a problem) with me: I find my self enraptured by the beauty of EU cover art (usually Drew Strutzan's) and so I buy the thing, only to find out that it's contents are a pale shadow of it's cover. I'm trying to get over it but I keep falling off the wagon!

Perhaps the biggest culprit was "Planet of Twillight". I love Drew's work on it but the situation is a little self explanatory. Same thing with "Children of the Jedi" and I must admit, "Vision of the future". Though, much of this is exclusive to the Bantam era since I don't really care for the some what crude covers of the NJO series to begin with.

A few comic books have also failed me in this area. They promise to pack a punch and some how just don't deliver story wise.

Judgeing a book by it's cover, indeed! So which works of cover art have caused you as much grief?

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Struzan's work was, for the most part, very good. Quite stunning.

The NJO art sucks, pretty much. The prequel hardbacks seem to be the only consistent good covers that Del Rey puts out.

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    The Hunt for Aurra Sing

4. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'm actually not a huge fan of the prequel book art...and I'm not a particularly big fan of the art on the NJO novels either. I'm really not partial to either.

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Once again I pose the question that I'll be asking until the day I die...

Why isn't Hugh Fleming doing the novel covers? Just look at his jaw-dropping covers for the SOTE comics, SotME, Dark Lords of the Sith and The Sith War. The man is better than Struzan most times, IMO, because he doesn't use the same 5 production photos to base his paintings on.

6. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I'm a big fan of Paul Youll's Bantam covers.

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    While I like some of the cover art, I have yet to base my expectations of the books by the cover art. However, I would like to say that I despise the cover art used on the paperback to CoPL. The dustjacket cover art to the hardcover was so lovely, a bit etheral. And then we get commando style for the paperback. Why change to something that's a bit less apealing? Seems it's more something like what happened with the hardcover to TPM where you had four different dustjackets. Different covers so if you want to get both, you have to buy both the hardcover and the paperback.

8. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Flemming's amazing. Why isn't he still doing comic covers? I think his last work was on The Phantom Menace covers, wasnt it?

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, I think it was. Those covers were good too.

10. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I like both the NJO and Bantam art. As long as the characters and objects look believable, I like it :p

The prequels, though, are usually pretty boring. They show no action. Especially the TPM novelization. Four different covers, and they couldn't come up with anything new or original!

11. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    I don't know quite what rubs me the wrong way about NJO art, I guess it just doesn't feel like my idea of star wars, "more like... suicide!"

Another deciever was "Union". "Darth Maul" had it's moments.

Whatever happened to Drew? Did somebody give him the axe? Was he turned off by the Del Rey sitch? Or has he just found his nitch in Harry Potter? 8-}

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    He still does the movie posters for the prequels.

As for the books, he probably ran out of different ways to paint Han and Leia in the same 3 poses.

13. GenoSuke

GenoSuke Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2002
    Dunno who did em but I like the covers to the bounty hunter wars trilogy. The story itself wasn't too bad, though the portrayals of some of the characters wasn't very accurate.

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, I think that's the guy who did the Tales book art. Very photo-realistic. I saw a profile on him recently, in a science-fiction magazine. It showed his Star Wars art and other franchise paintings for other books. Is that Paul Youll?

15. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    I like the covers to the bounty hunter wars trilogy. The story itself wasn't too bad

Oh, Gen... your one sick puppy!

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Their likeing Bounty Hunter Wars does not make them sick. I liked the trilogy myself, though I will admit it is not one of the better trilogies, though it certainly isn't one of the worst either. Likeing a particular trilogy, or hating it, where as others feel the opposite way, is just a matter of personal taste. As I have said before in other threads, one should not ask what others like and what they hate and then just read what they like. They should read the material and make up their own mind.

17. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    If you are considered sick for liking the Bounty Hunter Trilogy, you are considered terminally ill if you like the BFC. The BFC rules...ALL BOW DOWN TO TERMINALLY ILL EU READERS! My Yahoo name is blackfleetcrisis...it reflects one of the best trilogies ever! YOU RULE, K MAC!

18. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    I got the Anakin/Watto cover, and the CoPL paperback cover, which i felt suited the story best. I could easily get into that particular wilderness mood when i saw that cover. I didn't even know there was a different one until i saw it in a library. I must say though, i prefer the PB cover, even though artwise it was of poorer quality, it fit the story better.

Please, please, please don't get me started on the Barve Hunter Wars. Not bad covers, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.