main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

See Threepio and Artoo Detoo lost their mind!?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Nicholas, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicholas

Nicholas Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2003
    Why couldn't see threepio and artoo remember that Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker was threepio's maker or why couldn't they remember owen and beru lars in A New Hope?

Mabye ep 1&2 was made after the Trilogy.

But Darth Vader did not remember too!

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Why couldn't see threepio remember that Darth Vader aka Anakin Skywalker was his maker or why couldn't remember owen and beru laus in A New Hope?

This will presumably be explained in Episode III. I have a feeling that Threepio and Artoo (at LEAST Threepio) will be going through a memory wipe.

But Darth Vader did not remember too!

Oh, really?

The one time he and Threepio share the same room, Boba tries to shoot Chewie (who is carrying Threepio on his back) and Vader stops him. Vader doesn't want his old pal Threepio hurt!

There is a WONDERFUL comic called "Thank the Maker" that goes into more details about this...

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2003
    I don't remember that part about Vader stopping Boba,Adam.

Which episode is it?

Is it the empire strikes back?

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes. It's the only movie where Vader and Boba are in the same scene together.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    EDIT:

I = OWNED

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    Memory wipe would seem the most likely explanation. The EU claims that droids are memory wiped every few years to keep them from entering counterpart mode or something. In the EU Luke stops them from wiping R2 and Threepio because they are already running somewhere near 35% above efficiency...and he has an attachment to them... Vader may not remember because of the events that turn him into Vader, but that's pure speculation...

Anyway, let's hope Lucas will explain this. :)

7. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think the reason Vader doesn't remember threepio is because threepio has different coverings in ESB then he did in AOTC

and astromech droids are so widely used I doubt he could remember R2 after so many years, there are to many to keep track of, they probably all look the same to him

And the droids are memory wiped, so no one remembers

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It's believed that 3PO either had his memory wiped, or (keep in mind, this is from the Radio Dramas and isn't mentioned elsewhere) had knowledge of his past locked by Captain Antillies prior to the attack on the Tantive IV in ANH.

My personal opinion is that 3PO got a good chunk of his memory wiped, but Artoo's memory is still intact. Obi Wan's intro in ANH is what clinches it for me. Artoo seems to recognize Obi Wan while 3PO has no idea who he is. Also, wiping 3PO's memory but not Artoo's would be the logical choice, IMO, because we all know Artoo isn't nearly as talkative as 3PO is, and is more likely to keep his, erm "mouth", shut than 3PO.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    There are two possibilities for why Artoo is friendly to Obi-Wan. One is he remembers Obi-Wan, and the other is Leia simply told him Obi-Wan was someone he could trust.

I like the idea of Artoo remembering the PT, though. It's happened a lot throughout the saga that Artoo had a better idea what was going on than any of the heroes and had to bail them out of various problems. Basically, he's the smartest character who's not evil. ;)

10. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I was under the impression that 3PO got a memory wipe, mainly because he wouldn't shut the hell up, but R2 may or may not have. He didn't seem to have much trouble finding Obi-Wan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.