main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

See what you think of this...;Terra Incognito: people from another universe tumble into

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by illuminatrix, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illuminatrix

illuminatrix Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2002
    Um, I've been thinking about this for some time. It all started when I saw a documentary about Alternate Universes, in brief, Our universe and all others are "bubbles" floating about something called the Multiverse, and that there may be an infinite number of Realities. I've always wanted to write a Starwars story, but wanted to put my own spin on it. I'd thought up some original characters, who are from a humanoid race called the Voistocki, but I didn't want to muck about with the Star Wars Galaxy too much. After, that documentary, I had it! The Voistoki are from another Universe! They get sucked into Star Wars just after ATOC and despite their best efforts, muck the whole thing up.

I hope you like this. Let me know if it's crap, or if there's anything needed changed.

Just a note of guidance: The Voistocki are made up of different races and cultures: Tiahn, Jadrith and Glidath have Scottish accents, Raskovik is 'English', Dr Cholly is black and has a Manchester accent, Elori is 'Chinese', Blim is 'English' and Mrs Brasti is my version of Mrs Doyle in 'Father Ted'. (if you haven't seen this hysterically funny Channel Four series, try to. It's fantastic!). And Chrrk is a seven foot long beetle. Because I like insects, and I'm sick of seeing insectoid aliens portrayed as kill happy invaders, Chrrk is the nicest person you could ever hope to meet.

Anyway, enough of this! Here's the first chapter. I really hope you like it...

TERRA INCOGNITO

What you need to know:

Two Universes.

They are billions of light years apart, and closer together than clothes are to skin. They are connected in subtle and powerful ways, and it is possible to pass from one to the other. Such things occur in all Universes, for there are more than one: they are of a number far greater than any mind can think.

In a galaxy even further away from one you might be familiar with, the Gatehouse Installation is under going final preparations before it goes online. The biggest undertaking of the Voistocki people and their allies, Gatehouse is a means of travelling through a weakness in Reality ? to go to another Universe. Staffed by a skeleton crew of nine, who are watching over the powered down construction, the Installation appears to be stable and working well.

Something is about to go wrong. Soon, the disparate desperates on board Gatehouse will find themselves stranded in a strange new galaxy, one tearing itself apart by war. They want nothing to do with it, but will be forced to get involved in a battle that will alter the fate of both Universes?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away?

Her?

He hadn?t thought of her in years, scince he genuinely believed he?d never see her again. He?d pushed her memory away.

And yet here she was again, sneaking up on his thoughts. Why? A lady from another world, one that could not be found on any map. They?d been thrown together from opposite ends of space, culture and belief, yet had loved each other. Then he had to leave, and he could not take her with him. They both had duties beyond themselves. He must go, she must stay. They would not see each other again.

Scince then, he?d tried not to think of her. It grew easier over time; he had important duties to focus upon. His life was not without incident, even now. Especially now.
    So why was she on his mind again? He had much to attend to, and that ripple in the Force he?d sensed over the past few weeks was getting stronger, becoming a wave. Soon, it would be a tsunami. Attempts to discern its cause led him again and again to his memories of his lost love.

Could it be possible?
    Was the Passageway opening again?

He gave a mental shrug. Whatever was going to happen, it would happen soon. He?d doubtless discover all then?

One

At the same time, in a galaxy even further away?

?I?ve got a very bad feeling??

?What?s wrong, old thing??

The temperature dropped. Panic rose.

?Konni, I think we s

2. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    "A long time ago, in a universe far, far away..."

Wait. WHAT??????

I'm in. Tell me more!!!!

Good job, and good post!

3. Velvet_Elfin

Velvet_Elfin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2002
    Wow this has a great begining. The first thing I thought of with the ship is the 'Liborator'. Oh and the bomb that destroys organics but leaves the surrounding tecnology intact was cool.
    Old Paly is up to his old tricks already. :mad:

Vely

4. starwoid

starwoid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    A very nice beginning. You've intrigued me - I'm anxiously waiting for the next post! ;)

starwoid

5. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Thank you all so much! I have to admit I was really nervous about doing this. I'm glad you all like it.

'Course Palpy is up to his old tricks - wouldn't be Palpy if he wasn't. See these Sith and their preoccupation with big shiny toys... *rolls eyes*

Next episode: Chrrk makes her first appearance, the gang meet Palpy, Tiahn and Jadrith get a nasty shock, the Jedi show up, Palpy asks Tiahn out on a dinner date, and Count Dooku rears his naughty head. Hopefully I'll get it up soon...

I'll be watching out for updates on all your stories!

P.S> Geo3 - What happened to "Best out of Three"? What happens next?

6. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Um, humble confession time: "Best out of Three" is by Idgie, not Geo3. My humblest apologies to you both! My excuse is that I was traipsing about like a zombie due to another dose of the flu. Again, sorry!

7. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Here y'go then part two. Hope you like it...

Author?s note: conversations using the Force are denoted by < and >

Chapter Two

A hushed and expectant group waited in Palpatine?s office; Jedi masters Yoda, Windu and Koon, several of the Chancellor?s Guard in their spiffing scarlet uniforms, Chancellors Aide Sly Moore and of course, Palpatine himself

?The visitors have arrived, my Lord.?

?Excellent! Show them in.?

All their eyes were upon the door, which opened to reveal their guests. The visitors peered back apprehensively.

?Ah!? Palpatine got up and came forward, all smiles, ?Please, my friends, come in!?

He watched, beaming, as they filed in. That beam faltered a moment as he caught sight of Chrrk ducking into the room at the rear, then was quickly recovered. ?Slick?, thought Raskovik, watching the man intently. Chrrk had caused a bit of a stir when troopers from the Defender had cautiously stepped on board Gatehouse. She was a seven foot tall insectoid, an Ophid from the giant Hives on the Prosk Moon. Resembling an enormous beetle, she had fearsome mandibles and multifaceted eyes, and was the most polite and kindhearted sentient being you could ever hope to meet. They?d found her at the back of the Engine Room just after the conversation with Captain Brommen, recovering from a nasty blow to the head. Herzlos? Focus grenade had slammed her into a wall.

Yoda watched the Voistoki party keenly, measuring them with the Force. Mostly decent people, full of anxiety and eager anticipation in equal parts. Only to be expected, in their situation. He looked at the tall military figure of Raskovik, at Cholly who was glancing at both the Colonel and a petite woman standing beside him ? Tiahn Magog, if his memory of Brommen?s report served him. Both the Colonel and Miss Magog looked like they?d had a rough time of it recently. Then there was Elori Ritonko, her almond shaped eyes alight with intelligence and fury ? she was chewing over the events in the Engine Room ? and Blim Norfis, a young man with a shock of blonde hair who was looking about nervously. The insectoid Chrrk was serene, she did not have emotions in the sense that the others had. Beside her was Glidath Nagigg, a willowy lady who was holding the arm of the stocky Mrs Brasti. Mrs Brasti smiled at him shyly; he couldn?t help but grin back. Finally, there was Jadrith Magog, a middle aged, handsome woman with sad green eyes.

Yoda?s attention went back to Tiahn. This young lady was very strong in the Force, he?d sensed her approaching the office. And she didn?t have the first clue what to do with it.
    As he looked, she frowned slightly, then dipped her head to look straight at him. Yoda found himself fixed with a hard, intense stare, the green eyes fairly blazing. Her mouth clamped shut firmly, a vertical line appeared between her brows.

The ancient Jedi master was openly gawking now. He?d seen THAT expression before.

The young woman stared a few more moments, then her gaze softened and he smiled at him. Somewhat shakily, Yoda smiled back.

?Please, be seated,? Palpatine was saying, ?This is an event without precedent, indeed. Allow me to welcome you all to our universe.?

?We are honoured, Supreme Chancellor. I am Colonel Konstan Raskovik.?

?Delighted,? Palpatine was still smiling like an indulgent uncle.

<His cheeks must be fairly aching by now.>

Yoda glanced at the lady with the Stare. That stray thought had come from her. She noticed his attention, and looked back at him.

<You and the two lads in the bathrobes can do the same as me, right?> She quirked an eyebrow at him. Yoda was at a loss. Those who were untrained in the Force, and he knew that this girl was among that number, could not speak to others in their mind. Yet this young one had apparently found a way.

<Yes. > he told her.

<You?re - Jedi, right?>

How could she know? She should never have heard of the word!

<S?long story. I?m Tiahn. Sorry about staring at you earlier. I?ve never met anyone else who

8. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    OK. Imagine the scene. I am glued to my computer monitor, taking in every word of this story, and then I get to the part about Dooku and Qui-Gon and I BURST OUT laughing so hard I have to stop reading.

I pause and go to get a cup of coffee.

I return, continue reading, and get to the part about the cigar.

The coffee goes everywhere.

You have GOT to keep up with this story, and I hope it's a very, very long one!!!

Gothic, over-the-top Sith...

I'm still giggling in bursts.

Edit: Oh, yes, the part about Palpy's cheeks hurting from smiling....

9. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Cheers, Geo3!

If Qui wasn't dead and Dooku gone off to be a Sith they'd be in BIG trouble! To get it into perspective, Jadrith and Dooku fell in love, and as Jadrith said, they both felt that they might not see each other again and didn't want to pass up the chance. Jadrith and Qui were like big sister, little brother, which is why she's devastated when she hears the bad news...

Just wait till she gets her hands on Dooku. There will be an awful row. And possibly violence.

Glad you liked the bit about the cigar. I couldn't resist it... :D

10. Velvet_Elfin

Velvet_Elfin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2002
    I apologize for not responding earlier. Chapter two was great also. The conversation between Master Yoda and Tiahn was enlighting. Poor girl having Dooku for a father is horrible.

Looking forward to reading the next chapter.

Vely

11. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Thanks Velvet! :D

Hopefully I'll get the next chapter up sometime next week. Tiahn will meet Obi and Anakin. And Dooku. She'll have lots of things to say to him, or rather, SHOUT at him... Find something sturdy and hide behind it...

12. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Here y'are then, the next chapter. Hope you like it...

Chapter Three

As long as she lived, Chrrk would never understand vertebrates. They were so mercurial. She'd watched Tiahn and Jadrith swing from profound grief to tearing rage in the space of a mere hour.

Like the others from Gatehouse, Chrrk knew of Tiahn's missing father and the - for lack of a better word- talents she'd inherited form him. The Ophids were naturally telepathic, being of a hive mind, and Chrrk felt faintly pitying of those who were not. To be locked inside one's own mind; to be all alone in the prison of your skull. It must be awful for them!

She'd been delighted to have befriended Tiahn, alone of all her species to speak with her thoughts. Tiahn better understood the Ophids, whose emotions could not really be understood on humanoid terms. Many Voistoki felt the Ophids to be cold and unemotional: the death of their Hive Queen a few years back had been a case in point. They'd got on with the business of the Hive, apparently paying no heed to the bulk of the Queen's corpse as it was taken through the tunnels and corridor outside to their place of the dead. The Voistoki delegation come to pay their respects had been appalled. Their Queen, the mother of them all (for each Queen laid all Ophids during her reign) was dead, and they didn't even seen to notice!

But Tiahn, who had more than her eyes to see with, felt their pain, heard their mind hymns to speed their Queen's soul to the afterlife. She alone understood that the Ophidi way of grieving was to carry on, as life carried on. The departed monarch would expect no less from them. Had she not laid their eggs so that they could continue beyond her?

The Ophidi could hold the most sacred rites through their link and yet carry on with the most mundane tasks as they did so. Chrrk had noticed Tiahn standing there, eyes closed, with tears dripping down her cheeks. She told Chrrk later that it had been one of the most beautiful things she'd ever experienced. And in their own way, the Ophids had been touched by that.

Now, Chrrk was witnessing the Voistoki way of dealing with loss. It was most confusing, even with Tiahn's thoughts helping her.

Jadrith had stopped cying and was now stalking around the plush apartment they'd been given. Her green eyes were alive with fury, her hands curled into fists.

"When I get my hands on that little git he's gonna be picking his teeth up from a gutter! In the next bloody star system!"

She turned to look down at Tiahn. Her daughter was sitting cross legged on the couch, her shoulders hunched, head lowered, glaring out into space. Chrrk caught her thought:
    <How could he? Why would he DO that?>

"A Sith? Has he COMPLETELY lost the plot?" Jadrith continued to rage, "He TOLD me about them. Utter swine the lot of them. One of them murdered Qui, for the god's sake! How could he BECOME one of those-"

"What are we gonna DO, Mum?"

"I don't know love. I really don't."

Chrrk had never seen her friend look or feel so lost. She scuttled over and placed her foreleg on Tiahn's shoulder, knowing that vertebrates found physical contact comforting. Tiahn grasped the leg gently and smiled up at her.

<Thanks Chrrk. I'm glad you're here. We need someone sensible.>

<I am glad to be here. I wish I could help you and Jadrith with this.>

<You are helping, love. Just having a friend around helps.>

"This visit is going to be so much fun," sighed Jadrith< "We're stranded in another universe, they're having a war, someone's nicked our only way back home and we don't know where he is or what he's done with it, my friend is dead and your father's a Sith Lord."

"Great summary, Mum."

"Thanks."

"Look on the bright side, Old Thing," said Raskovik from his spot by the window, "At least we'll have some spiffing soveneirs and holiday snaps to take back to the relatives."

Both Magogs glared at him. For a nasty moment, Chrrk was certain that Raskovik was soon to be the recipient of a beating. Then

13. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Oh, joy, another chapter! You are really very generous. You give us so much with each post!

I loved the description of Chrrk's nature and culture. And using the Force (or some variant of it) to communicate with Tiahn (sorry- I'm sure I haven't spelled that correctly) is the best use of the Force I can think of.

Your herione is superb. Original, believable, and incredibly likable. Dooku is wonderful. All the characters are. Obi-Wan's horrible mullet hairdo...LOL! Yet you don't belittle him.

Your sense of humor is wonderful.

I love this story. Please keep going.

14. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Sorry it has taken me so long to check in on your story. There's no excuse, really, so I won't attempt to fake one. :D

This story is outstanding!! The premise is very creative and extraordinarily well executed. You capture the spirits of the Star Wars characters so well. And your original characters are interesting, diverse, and very fun!

Most of all, though, the humor in your writing is truly brilliant. In the time I have been reading this, I have been laughing OUT LOUD constantly. I never do that -- I chuckle or maybe giggle. Busting a gut is not usually my thing. But your story is that funny.

I will make one confession -- I tend to be a bit of a parochial American in the "We beat you in 1787 and we'll do it again!" sort of way. ;) And, truly, I have no idea the nuances in the Scots, English, and Manchester accents... Nevertheless, your writing is amazing, even :p the British Isles colloquial usage, and I am having no trouble at all buying into it completely! Just be warned that, for me at least, their voices all pretty much sound like John Cleese... [face_laugh]

Fantastic work! Keep it up!! :D :D

15. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Thanks to everyone! [face_love]

Geo3 - You're too kind as always. The reason I have Chrrk in this is that I quite like creepy crawlies. It's the usual thing, if it isn't pretty, it's evil. Rubbish!

As for Obi - he was one of my favourite characters in AOTC, but that haircut was AWFUL. I'm giving him a haircut in this... :)

Darth_Lex - no problem! I sometimes miss posts for days on end. Life gets in the way, despite our best efforts...
    Glad you liked it. I'm never too sure how people will take my odd sense of humour.

As for the accents - watch Shreck for the Scottish one. As far as I'm concerned, Mike Myers is the best non Scottish speaker of the accent. Or get a video of Billy Connolly (I warn you, he likes to SWEAR).
    As for the others, get The Full Monty for Manchester. You'll probably be alright using John Cleese for Raskovik, though!

I'll be more than happy to provide a glossary of Scottish words if you're interested. Astound your friends and confuse your enemies!

Thanks very much to you both!

16. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Thanks!

Now that I think about it, you're right -- I can tell the difference between Shrek (or Ewan McGregor, for that matter) and Cleese. Also, the Irish accent I can tell apart too. But the guys in The Full Monty just sound like regular "English" folks to me... :p

To be fair, at this point I can tell whether an American southerner is from Texas or Georgia or North Carolina -- and they no doubt all sound alike to those of you across the pond... [face_laugh]

UP!!! :D

17. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Confession time - I've insulted quite a few Canadian tourists by asking which part of America they're from! And my UNCLE lives in Canada! The best policy is just to ask "Where abouts are you from, then?" and try no to act suprised when they tell you...

18. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    I really enjoyed writing this part! I love old fashioned villains...[face_devil]

Enjoy!

Four

Tiahn crouched by the fallen Kenobi. He wasn't badly hurt, she saw with relief, a bruise formed around a cut on his forehead: but he was completely away with the faries. Which meant she had to think of a way out of this all by herself. Oh gods?

She pulled her jacket off and put it under the Jedi's head. He was going to have one hell of a headache when he came to; a pillow might help.

"You need not be concerned my dear. Master Kenobi has survived far worse."

She looked over at Arkadi Dooku. The Seperatist leader had seated himself on a bench by the parapet of the garden balcony. One leg crossed over the other, long elegant hands interlocked over the knee. He was watching her intently.

Tiahn sighed tiredly and stood up, "I know he has. I saw what happened on Geonosis."

Those amazing eyebrows of his rose, "Indeed?"

"You really are a nasty old swine, Dooku," she told him. And then, with the image of Anakin Skywalker wrapped in blue lightning appearing to her, wondered if that had been entirely a smart thing to say?

The Count gazed at her for a moment, then dipped his head; as if he were considering a valid point in a philosophical debate.

"It is possible you are correct," he said mildly, "Come closer and let me look at you, Miss Magog."

She hesitated. The Count smiled broadly, "I mean you no harm, my dear. I assure you I did not intend to injure Master Kenobi either, but he was so determined to be gallant. It could have been so much more unpleasant other wise."

She had to concede that punching someone's lights out was sometimes the only way to stop violence from escalating. Despite her best efforts, she was the veteran of a few street fights, and knew of occasions when someone tanked up on adrenaline would carry on when they really should have backed off. Kenobi could have gotten himself killed trying to defend her. Tiahn didn't really think that was worth dying for. She studied the Count. He didn't seem to be here to make trouble; he was curious about the daughter he'd never known about. But HOW had he known? Only the Gatehouse mob, the Jedi and the Supreme Chancellor had known about her heritage. That Palpatine would have a fit if he knew happenings in his office, the nerve centre of the Republic, were leaking out to the ears of Count Dooku. And how had he got here? This was damn worrying to say the least.

The Count of Serenno held a hand out to her, indicating the space on the bench beside him with the other. Tiahn cautiously approached, halting a foot or so away from him. She decided not to sit beside him; she didn't feel brave enough to go any closer. He nodded in understanding, then sat back and studied her.

Dooku had to admit that this young woman rather impressed him. He sensed her fear, but it did not rule her; she wasn't the type to panic.

My daughter!

Well, she certainly hadn't inherited his height; she was barely five foot, if that. Her dark wavy hair was up in a loose bun, careless and unfussy. He took in her long solemn face, the pale skin and high cheekbones; those green eyes exactly like her mother's. A rather more feminine version of his own nose, Jadrith's delightful cupids bow lips. And she had the Force too; he could see it dancing within her. So much potential?

And as she looked back, he saw what else he had bequeathed to her. He'd been aware for years of his fearsome Stare and the effects it had on those in it's path. The Count had been using it to his advantage recently. Well, it certainly helped when one's associates tried to be difficult. He found it particularly effective with that cringing little twit Guneray.

Tiahn was Staring at him.

He was now having the singular experience of having it used upon himself. The way the eyes focused, never wavering, never blinking; as if the subject were the only thing that existed. Formidable attention, like a bird of prey waiting to strike.

He held her gaze for

19. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Another wonderful long chapter!

A swordfight with the Dark and Elegant Count, her father! And Tiahn is good at it! And she can practically *Stare* him down! And she slugs him!

This is all too good to be true. You capture her humor and bravery and his smooth, evil elegance so beautifully. I can't get enough of it.

Love the sneaky Jedi haircut reference.

And Chrrk saves her! And she can fly!

This just gets better and better. I have the feeling the old man is going to have his hands full with her.

20. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Seriously, you have written the best Dooku I have ever read. Better than the screenplay, better than the novelization, better than any fanfics. It was so remarkably easy to imagine Christopher Lee delivering these lines and thinking these thoughts. Amazing!! :D :D

And, as always, the humor in your writing is phenomenal. I was laughing aloud again. Tiahn is a fabulous character.

Great work! Keep it coming!

21. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    I've gone all red! :8 Thank you both very much!

Geo3: Tiahn starts the sword fight out of sheer desperation; she's competent at it, but but she's not good. And Dooku was merely toying with her, the dastardly rotter! I was a bit worried that Chrrk turnng up would be a Deus ex Machina, but the alternative was jumping off the balcony into a passing speeder, and we've all been there and done that. I gave Chrrk wings 'cause lots of species of beetle have them under their shell.

If you think Dooku's going to have trouble with Tiahn, just wait till he bumps into Jadrith! (Next Chapter!)[face_devil]

Darth_Lex: I'm glad you like Dooku. I've been a Christopher Lee fan scince the age of 14 (I'm 27 now!). Having him in Star Wars (and wielding a lightsabre) was a dream come true! I was lucky enough to meet him at a book signing a few years ago. Those eyes of his are even more compelling in real life, and he was a complete gentleman, very friendly and kind. I wanted to give that old fashioned courtly charm to his character in this fic. I glad you think it worked! :D

I'm sorry that "A Bumpier Road" is going to end soon...:_| I'm going to miss your version of Ani and Padme...

Thanks very much to you both! You've been a great encouragement! Hopefully I'll get Chap. 5 up in the next week or so.

Lotsa Love xxx :X

22. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    "I - in case of any confusion - was the one with the beard and the brown suit. The other one [looks around anxiously] I think I'm alright for the moment. Anyway, to you his regards he sends; and says he is unable to come in fact because of his lightsaber skills, trying to improve." - Christopher Lee, accepting the Sony Ericsson Award for best scene of 2002 at the Empire Film Awards. Guess who "the other one" is!

Mr Lee, this chapter is dedicated to you! [face_love] Here's to the Dooku/Yoda Spat, Round 2! :cool:

Five

The Voistoki delegation tripped, staggered and wobbled their merry way into their apartment. Needless to say; they were somewhat the worse for drink. Captain Brommen had decided to accompany them; Elori Ritonko had been smiling at him in a way that made his pulse race, and he'd lost the keys to his own quarters. He'd have to get the locks changed tomorrow.

"Tiahn's not back from the Temple yet?" Jadrith was looking about for her daughter, "Didn't know those lads worked late?"

"It's four o'clock in the morning, Madame Magog," Brommen said, "Perhaps she's staying for the night?"

"There's a message here for you, Jad," Blim held the answering machine out to her with an unsteady hand, "It's private."

"Hmm," Jadrith took it, "I'll see it in my room. Back in a tick."

She carried the answering machine into her room without staggering too much. She heard Mrs Brasti offer Brommen a cup of tea, and smiled. Mrs Brasti was a rock. The End of All could happen tomorrow and she'd be offering the destroyer gods tea and biscuits, because destroying universes must be awfully hard work, the poor dears. Mrs Brasti could more or less cope with ANYTHING.

Thank the gods she was here.

Jadrith set the machine upon the bedside table and switched it on, after a few fumbles. Probably Tiahn, letting her know where she was. The hologram sputtered then coalesced into a figure. She stared at it.

It wasn't Tiahn?

The shimmering form of Arkadi Dooku gazed back at her from where it hovered over the answering machine. He was older now, the dark hair become silver, more lines on his long face - but she'd never fail to recognise him. Age suited him; like a fine old wine, he'd improved. Jadrith felt that old fluttery feeling in her stomach. Gods, he was still damn handsome?

He was smiling, like he'd just heard a really good joke and was about to tell you all about it. Then he spoke: Jadrith couldn't believe such was possible, but his voice had actually got deeper these past three decades.

"Jadrith, my dear. If I were you, I'd look behind you."

Eh?

She turned. Saw something. Looked up. Then looked up a little bit more.

Towering over her, grinning broadly, Arkadi Dooku looked down upon her.

"Boo," he chuckled.

***********************************************************************************

Tiahn liked it here.

She sat on a fallen log half way up a forested mountain. A lake glittered a few hundred feet below her, above, the sky was breathtaking blue. This place wasn't of the real world; and yet Tiahn got the impression that it was MORE real than where she'd just come from. A sort of ultra reality. There was peace here, complete harmony; a sensation she'd never had back in her own time and place.

She knew she wasn't awake. She distinctly remembered lying in the foyer of the Jedi Temple, feeling more tired than she'd ever been in her life, Kenobi's smiling battered face, drifting off in Chrrk's forelegs. This must be a dream then. Didn't feel like one, though. Tiahn experienced dreams as a fuzzy, dulled sequence of events. Time didn't flow quite right, movement was sluggish, sight and hearing muffled. This wasn't like that at all. She felt the rough bark of the log she sat on, felt the breeze on her face and smelled flowers. She saw more clearly and heard sharper than she'd ever done.

So what, exactly, the HELL was occurring?

"Ah! You're here. I wasn't entirely sure that was going to work."

It was a nice voice. Strong: but

23. geo3

geo3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well, another rare pleasure from the wonderful quote at the beginning (did Lee really say that? What a charmer)to Jadrith walking off into the sunset (OK, space ship) with the ever-elegant Dooku.

I'm completely hooked by Qui-Gon's explanation of the alternate universes. I just kow you are going to make everything that happens perfectly plausible, because it already has a completely compelling internal logic. All the reader has to do is sit back for the ride. Marvelous!

I see where Tiahn gets her feistiness - Jadrith is wonderful, too, but despite their similarities you have given them very distinct personalities.

"Madame Chrrk." Isn't he wonderful, our Count....

24. illuminatrix

Oct 17, 2002
    Thanks Geo3! I can't thank you enough for your kindness and encouragement [face_love]

Yep, he really did say that - you can read the speech at the Empire Film website. You can also download his full speech - hearing it in Mr Lee's beautiful rich voice is MUCH funnier! I nearly fell out of my chair laughing... :D

Needless to say - it's influenced me in this latest chapter! I see Dooku as a completely unflappable gentleman with a dry sense of humour, who's willing to take the pee out of himself.

You've probably noticed that despite recent revelations; Jadrith still loves him... ;)

Glad you liked Qui's explanation about alternate universes (I rewrote that part roughly 5 times - my brain melted!) - The Infinities comic series is as much an influence as that documentary. This story is (OBVIOUSLY!) set in an A.U. Even as Tiahn and the gang are in this one - the "Real" Star Wars Universe continues as in the films. Qui's seen this and doesn't like it, one little bit. He hopes Tiahn may help Anakin stay on the straight and narrow, and the Jedi survive - but it's early days yet...[face_devil] Nothing's ever simple with my mob...

Thanks again for your encouragement! [face_love]

25. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Boo.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Oh, wow, that really made me laugh.

Once again, your Dooku is absolutely remarkable. He is so believable is it truly uncanny.

I loved the scene with Qui-Gon. I was not expecting it at all. And I agree with how you wrote him -- if he did see a future in which Anakin becomes Vader, he would do anything he could to stop it.

And, as always, your humor is fantastic. Another great post!! :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.