main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

See You Space Cowboy: The Cowboy Bebop Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    It wasn't that I found it confusing or anything. I found it silly, overblown, and trying too hard.

It was funny too, because my friend was a HUGE fan. He had been waiting for End of Evangelion to come on DVD forever. The night it came out he envited me over to watch a marathon all the way through. He sat there in his NERV shirt, with Evangelion posters all over. Then we watched the final movie...

And then he stayed silent...

And then he watched it again...

Then he went in his room and ripped down all his posters and threw his shirts out and his action figures and the manga...

Needless to say... he took it badly.

2. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Your friend definitally seems like the zero effort type.... What did he expect out of Evangelion? Seems like a very week willed unimaginative type.

And really, what was "overblown" about EoE? That was a story that had no choice but to involve the whole world like it did. The anti had to be upped time and again.

-P!-

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    What's so bad about End of Evangelion? I thought it was rather good.

4. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I will admit he isn't the most imaginative person, more the type to write fanfictions of others work because he can't think of an original thought of his own... that's me venting though. lol

Anyways, the reason I didn't like it (But I had a downhill effect with Evangelion), and it's a reason I don't like a whole lot of anime, is that it tries to be smarter and bigger than it really is. Explaining the obvious, but using big words to do it. That kind of thing bugs me, in any media forum, but it's especially bad in anime, and I can't help but point fingers at Evangelion as a whole because that's where it became a fad. Don't get me wrong though, I like more of Evangelion than I dislike of it, just there were things that made me roll my eyes, and say "come on... seriously?"

Again, I like Evangelion, just the ending (and a few other things) let me down.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hey folks, can we bring this thread back to the subject of Cowboy Bebop? Thanks :)

6. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Sn4tcH can you repost that in the Eva thread (or Anime thread in Amphitheatre) we can use that as an opening post for a discussion I'm quite interested in hearing more.

Anyway about Cowbep Bebop...well there's not much to discuss is there? :p

7. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    The thing about Bebop is it's something you experience. The ending closes so much, there's not discussion AT ALL on what happens next. But it's one of the best rides to get there. I think the absolute #1 thing that the show has above a whole lot of other anime is a truely lovable cast. By the end of the show you feel for every member of the crew.

Not to mention, for an anime it's very American styled. Look at the fight at the cafe in Astroid Blues, it's animated like someone holding a steady cam! That's freakin amazing. Not to mention extraordinary dub we got. How many shows can honestly say they got a better dub than the original Japanese cast? I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to anime, subs only. But not Bebop, I have to watch the dub. I'm almost want to say Shinichiro Watanabe made an AMERICAN masterpiece rather than Japanese. You can watch Bebop right along side stuff made by Tarantino and not miss a beat, it just plays that way.

It's not exactly deep, but man oh man... is it good.

8. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    The thing about Bebop is it's something you experience. The ending closes so much, there's not discussion AT ALL on what happens next.

What about to Faye, Jet, and co?

But it's one of the best rides to get there. I think the absolute #1 thing that the show has above a whole lot of other anime is a truely lovable cast. By the end of the show you feel for every member of the crew.

True.

Not to mention, for an anime it's very American styled. Look at the fight at the cafe in Astroid Blues, it's animated like someone holding a steady cam! That's freakin amazing. Not to mention extraordinary dub we got. How many shows can honestly say they got a better dub than the original Japanese cast? I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to anime, subs only. But not Bebop, I have to watch the dub. I'm almost want to say Shinichiro Watanabe made an AMERICAN masterpiece rather than Japanese. You can watch Bebop right along side stuff made by Tarantino and not miss a beat, it just plays that way.

Truer words have not been spoken.

It's not exactly deep, but man oh man... is it good.

I don't agree with that first part completely but still, it is good.

-The Scummy-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.