Seeking Fellow Michigan SW Fans

Discussion in 'Detroit, MI' started by KevinRawJedi, Mar 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DETROITAN Jedi Knight

star 1
    sup everyone. Im 15 and i live in DETROIT. I only realy do two things, something to do with Star Wars (ie fanfilms,novels) or yo yo ing. Im open up to anything. So may the force be with you and dont watch the WB.
  2. theSpaniard Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm 16 and a HUGE Star wars fan. My siblings like Star Wars but not as much as I do, so I spend a lot of my free time online to see what other people have to say that is interesting to me. I live close to Ann Arbor.
  3. Jedi_Kettch Jedi Knight

star 1
    hi! my name is sam, and i live near detroit. i'm 15 and have found one mega star wars fan around here and he has a really bad personality so i can't stand talking to him. i know there are more around here though. i went to toy's r us at midnight the night episode 1 stuff came out and there were tons of really cool people there. they were all soooooo nice too. well, just thought i'd say hi!

sam :D
  4. Dunc_Tracen Jedi Padawan

I'm Dunc (also DesignSith on here, but passwordless for that account at the moment). I think I'm the oldest one here to post, at 22.

My RL friends DO like SW, but different parts than I do. Sure, we see Ep I together, and occasionally talk about it, but one is a Fetthead (a character whose appeal I just don't get) and the others are just kind of... general. It wasn't until I got online that I found a group that enjoys the same SW type things that I do. Real life is flawed. <g>
  5. FearAndBullets Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hate to say it, but i'm in the running for the oldest. I actually saw it in the theater the first time around, when I was 4.
  6. Dunc_Tracen Jedi Padawan

I'm crushed. :)

No, in many of my groups I tend to be one of the younger ones... Must have something to do with starting out on AOL back when it was hourly. There were very few teens on there, too, most being 17 or older.

So what SW type things does everyone enjoy? I like the mythology aspects, and watching Sith fight. My only favorite thing about EPI was the final lightsaber battle: Otherwise I just shut off my brain and enjoyed the pretty pictures.

I've read most the novels: that doesn't mean I like them. Back in the day I was a rampant KJA critic; now I can barely muster the energy to care. I liked the Zahn trilogy (although now methinks it was WAY too dry, and Hand of Thrawn was more of the same. The only novel I can really appreciate now is Truce at Bakura) I consider it a compliment if I can get through an NJO novel without skipping large chunks.

I've been around the fanfic community since before fanfix.com was fanfix, although I'm a bit out of touch now, due to all the prequel stuff (and poetry... What the hell is up with SW poetry? I'm sorry... But that's just SAD.) I used to run a web zine called CPOV (you've never heard of it, unless you were a fanfic fan, or really into Jedinet, about four or five years ago). Now I'm the webmaster for my primary mailing list, archiving fanfic, being slightly snarky, and redesigning annually. It suits me.

I think Jawas are cute, but Ewoks make great appetizers. My favorite characters are Han and Artoo. I'm a girl. In case that wasn't obvious.

Now, let's start some conversation... please?
  7. Jedi_Kettch Jedi Knight

star 1
    i must say that i actually love reading the novels. i am in the process of collecting all of them. EP1 was okay. it definately wasn't my favorite. i like all kinds of star wars stuff, including mythology. i'm not really into the making of the movies (behind the scenes & that) i'm more into the character's and their lives.
    i've read almost all the stories on fanfix.com, the good and the bad (yes...i even gave the poetry a try...i totally agree with you on that)
    i'm not really an ewok fan, but the whole kettch thing was just too hilarious to pass up. i remember when i was reading that i was in the middle of class after i finished my final and everyone was silent and i could not help but laugh at the story. thank goodness it was mostly seniors that i'll never have to face again:)
    BTW, my fave characters are Mara Jade and the rogue squad pilots.
    for those who haven't read my other reply on here i am 15 and a girl.

xxxSam
  8. Dunc_Tracen Jedi Padawan

Kettch? Is that like ketchup? I wouldn't think of using that condiment... I perfer lots of black pepper. But hey, whatever works. <eg>

Well, I started reading the books at 13... it's been nearly a decade. I think I just kind of grew out of them. I'm just a baseless addict, I guess.

Ahh, Mara. I used to be big on her... now I'm just mildly sarcastic. They married her off and... ehh. I never did like Luke much... Or I just read so much good fanfic back in the day that HOT was a major letdown.
  9. Jedi_Kettch Jedi Knight

star 1
    kettch was an ewok in some of the x-wing books. really cute guy.

i don't care much for Luke either, but i figure that if they didn't get married she'd fade away. at least now she's guarented to be in the rest of the books.

xxxSam
  10. MiraxTHorn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hi All,

I'm another Michigander SW fanatic. I'm 30 and live in Highland (North of Milford) and like most of you, my friends, my students, and my husband don't get it. I do have a brother and one friend who are super fans, but that's it. Everyone else just laughs. Oh well, we develop thick skin, right?

I saw ANH in '76 and vividly remember having the 'Darth Vader is Luke's father' thing spoiled for me before I got to see ROTJ. I do like the EU and read most of the books, but I'm not thrilled with the New Jedi Order. I much prefer the X-Wing Books and Zahn trilogy and duology. I'm currently gearing up to make Ep II costumes for next May. I made several for Ep I, but this time I'm going to do more detail work. And I can't wait to get down to Toledo next week for Magic of Myth.

Regards, C.
  11. TheHuntressDiana Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, I totally forgot about this thread. Sorry 'bout that.

I'm 28 (for a little while longer) and living in Clarkston.

I've read most of the novels (haven't bought "Cloak of Deception" yet, might not, still haven't decided) and have most of them as well. I'm itching for the newest NJO book to come out...it's been a bit more interesting than I thought it would be.
  12. JediFrankenstein Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, Star Wars Heaven is only an hour's drive away. How many of you are going, or have already gone, to Toledo's Star Wars: the Magic Of Myth exhibit? This is the big one, the traveling Smithsonian show and its TOPS. We just had Doug Chaing speak over the weekend and have many more great speaker events coming up.

C'mon down, ITS STAR WARS!

JF

www.toledomuseum.org
  13. FUNKRHCP Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well i talk star wars any time of the day,,, royal oak here, and no my friend im the biggest fan here,,,,hehehhe we sound like kids,,,,,

MTFBWU
  14. BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey, i'm from Ann Arbor, 17 and going to University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (makes sense). Any way i was just checking in, first time going to this post in the forum. i usually hang out at the lit forum.
  15. SwordChick Jedi Knight

star 2
    I already went to the Magic of Myth in Toledo, Jedi Frankenstein. It was amazing! Apart from the great exhibit, I went dressed as Aurra Sing & won a couple prizes for the costume on the 28th of October. The props & costumes were so cool! Especially the Boba Fett costume & the speeder bike.
  16. GS335 Jedi Master

star 4
    I am from Michigan, too.

I am 24 years old, and I am earning my Masters at the Univ. of Michigan. I am in the Business school.

I am also working full time. :D
  17. solo11 Jedi Padawan

Hey what up all.My names Raven, I'm 26 yrs old and I'm from the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area. My favorite character is Han Solo. He's the greatest. If you haven't already, please read the HAN SOLO TRILOGY. It's the reason why he's my favorite. He's debonair, nifty with a gun, has so much compassion and he doesn't whine as much as Luke. Gotta love that. BTW... hey SWORD CHICK, My freind Mike from hollywood video hooked me up with the address to this site. he said I would like it. Well, I do. So let him know that at least I got to get on it.
  18. SwordChick Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hi Raven! I'll tell Mike for you if I see him anytime soon (I had to drive a bit to find him). Glad he passed the info on, it's always great to see more Has Solo fans here!
  19. solo11 Jedi Padawan

His computer doesn't have a modem so he only get's on the net when he's at my house. But eventually he's gonna be on here. He did sign up for an account but he hasn't posted anything yet.
  20. DarthPhelps Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hello, everyone. My name is Eric, I live in the Flint area. I saw Star Wars when I was 9, a nice age to get hooked, so of course I am a huge fan like the rest of you. :D
    I know how you feel when it comes to finding others of our kind. My friend growing up was big into it, but it has faded away :(. I have a coworker that I can talk star wars to, but he's a LOTR geek mostly, so we can chat about each, using each other as an Obi-Wan for each subject. A recently former co-worker was the biggest fan I met randomly, but he's now living and working in Taylor, which is a far cry from here.
    Today I signed up for the JC Forum for the first time, so I have a post at the Welcome area also.
  21. Idgie Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome DarthPhelps!Always good to have another fan around.I now what it's like to not really have anyone to talk about SW with,but that's never a problem here.

Have fun!:)
  22. DarthPhelps Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Don't worry FearAndBullets, I've got you beat on the age thing. Saw Star Wars at 9. I've virtually got one foot in the grave.

(forgive - not SW related) At work I've predicted the Rams, but I'm rootin' for the Pats [Tom Brady - make Michigan shine!]

Are any of you a part of this Fan Force thing? What can you tell me about it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.