Seiously, what was so BAD about Padme?

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by jewlmc, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    I notice that quite a few of you have a problem with Padme. While I don't see her as one of the BEST SW characters ever, I don't understand the contempt shown by some people. Did she not live up to your expectations? I noticed they were high before the film came out.

Personally I liked her. She was a decent character who I connected with just fine. If there was any complaint I had it was that she didn't quite jump out at me enough. But that's fine, she isn't that type of character I guess.
  2. JediMaster21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Padme is a goddess. For reals.
  3. woody_1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    She doesn't have an accent of any sort. So people think that she can't act.
  4. QueenDorme Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I think a lot of people were expecting a more outspoken Padme since she was quite restrained in her opinions in TPM. The sad thing is that GL had scripted her as quite outspoken and domineering; but alas the translation between script and screen lost that. Instead of Amidala yelling at the Senate to "Wake up!" she was given the dramatic line - "Do you know who is behind these attacks?"

Ptoohey.
  5. JediMaster21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hey jewlmc, I noticed your icon has a picture of Han and Leia kissing. I could be your Han and you could be my princess baby yeah! I am a way better kisser than Harrison Ford anyways. So you should like me baby not Han. I know your thinking about it.
  6. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    She's no worse than Leia, and no better. She is simply Leia - sass mouth, if that makes sense. She is the product of a more conservative age, yet like her daughter she seems to be a very skilled fighter. Not only that but she can pick locks! Did anyone else find it just a bit peculiar that she had this talent? I mean, I suppose she could have been trained to do this as part of some defensive training, but it just seems strange to me.

Oh well, I guess she's full of surprises.
  7. QueenDorme Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I guess when you have unlimited supplies of bobby pins in your hair, you pick up certain 'talents.'
  8. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
  9. JediMaster21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    No I am serious! Psychologists rule!
  10. Promiscuous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Padme was alright. When we really look at her, does she seem twenty-four years old? Maybe that's the beef people have with Padme- that she doesn't seem as old as she's suppose to be perhaps?

She seemed more like 22 than twenty-four.
  11. alfy Jedi Youngling

star 1
    People hate Padme because she is boring beyond belief, and shows no (realistic)emotion.

It's called wooden acting, which Portman apparently picked up from Jake Lloyd a few years ago. Too bad she can't shake it.

Anyways, maybe there are really people that flat and that boring in the world....but if there are, I sure don't want to watch a movie about them.

So that's why people hate Padme. A wooden actress, a boring character, and a death that was ensured before the prequels were even made. That last one may be Padme's only saving grace....we know she won't survive, which makes her crappiness more passable.
  12. Red-Talon Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh man Alfy! That was great. Although my feelings for Padme aren't quite as strong as your's, I'm not to fond of her myself.

It was 80% wooden acting from my view point, in her love scenes with Anakin I just could believe a word she was saying.

For me, the saving graces for her are:

a) Natalie Portman is a fox.
    b) She was much better in AOTC compared to TPM. Maybe she'll be better in Episode 3.
  13. Captain-Communist Jedi Knight

star 3
    I thought she did well. who cares about the acting. it was believable.
  14. sdj Jedi Master

star 4
    Her looks of concern for Anakin on Naboo in the field (after his dictatorship speech) and her acting in the Lars garage was great. I know that she had her low points but these high points were very subtle and convincing.
  15. QueenDorme Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Her picnic scenes were the best.

I think bad editing really ruined the rest of it.
  16. KosmicKnine Jedi Master

star 4
    Jar Jar:Not only that but she can pick locks! Did anyone else find it just a bit peculiar that she had this talent?

I loved that Padmé knew how to pick locks. I thought it added a nice shadowy dimension to her character. It made me think, "Ok, here's this Captain Democracy, and she knows how to do something as sly as lock picking. What happened in her life that enabled her to learn such a skill?" Personally, I don't think she used a hairpin to pick the lock of her restraints on Geonosis; I think it was flat-out a lock-picking tool.

As for the "wooden" acting: I don't see it. I do see a person portraying a character that's been trained since she was little to be an extraordinary diplomat. To be Queen, Padmé had to wear traditional makeup that essentially becomes a mask for her and consiously force herself to talk in an accent in order to prevent the general public from discovering anything about her true self. After a long time of being in the possitions she's placed herself in dealing so heavily with politics, it is understandable, and a bit expected, that she isn't adept at expressing her emotions without sounding a bit hesistant in openning herself up to others. From a young age, she's been trained to deal with others and their problems, which has left her without that many skills do deal with her own personal issues. I don't think it's "wooden" at all; instead, I see it as a great, subtle characterization.
  17. alfy Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I see fanboy excuses.

You excuse the wooden acting by explaining that she's a "trained diplomat." Yea, I'm sure that's it. They probably cut her family scenes on Naboo because contrasted next to a family of real people, her wooden acting would appear even more out of place.

You excuse the obvious minor plot contrivance of her knowing how to pick locks by calling her crafty or some such thing. Totally doesn't sell. She would not know how to pick locks...the plot required it, so she did it.
  18. cratylus Jedi Knight

star 2
    I don't usually agree with Alfy, but I have in fact met a real life person who talks just like Padme does most of the time. it makes her seem kind of vacant, even less than intelligent--although these impressions are not necessarily true. I will say that although I was not disappointed in the performance, I think it could have been done differently in a way that would have been better.

George may be the one to blame here. I heard he asked for a flat delivery except in the most dramatic moments. Also I noticed that Natalie Portman was less good at acting with invisible creatures and items than the rest of the cast. Her picnic scene was surely the best because her character got to relax--no complaint there at all. But through the rest of the film I thinght she was almost always good enough, not Good.

As for the character, if people are complaining I have no idea why.
  19. alfy Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Portman is a good actress, on her own, but she just seems stifled in the prequels.
  20. Darth_Prozac Jedi Master

star 3
    JediMaster21, didn't I see Triumph the Dog talking to you on the street?
  21. Masterkyp44 Jedi Knight

star 3
    She seemed more like 22 than twenty-four

There is just so much of a difference bestween 24 and 22. :D

Come on!! that's not much of an age difference. Now if you said she looks more like 18 instead of 24 then you'd make sense.
    To me she passes as a 24 year old. Some people age better than others.
  22. KosmicKnine Jedi Master

star 4
    I see fanboy excuses.

You excuse the wooden acting by explaining that she's a "trained diplomat." Yea, I'm sure that's it. They probably cut her family scenes on Naboo because contrasted next to a family of real people, her wooden acting would appear even more out of place.

You excuse the obvious minor plot contrivance of her knowing how to pick locks by calling her crafty or some such thing. Totally doesn't sell. She would not know how to pick locks...the plot required it, so she did it.

Thanks for flaming me; it's a bit chilly in my house. I'm glad that you are quickly dismissive of the possiblity that I could just by strange chance have a very different perspective on the issue. But, it's ok, I don't need you to even seen my opinion as being valid for me to have. I like my opinions about Padmé very much, and no amount of simple-minded dismissiveness will change my mind.
  23. Pooja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    *sigh*

Had Lucas left in the family scene, we would have gotten background on Padme- which included defensive training in her earlier youth. I'd IMAGINE she was taught the tricks of the trade- how to pick locks, fight with blasters, and other things. She basically went through a Nubian boot camp when she was younger. :p

However, it IS Lucas' fault that a lot of people didn't know this. Perhaps he will stop cutting his films up so badly.

As for Natalie's acting, she doesn't inject fuel into the scenes; nor does she take away. I feel that she does a good job in Episode II, good enough to bring her character out and move the plot forward. She is not the best actress- not by a long shot, but I certainly don't think she is bad by any means.
  24. Sophita Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know. I like Padme. She's an interesting character.

I see fanboy excuses.

I see dead peo...er, sorry...I see flaming. Touche. :p

Uhm...Picking a lock is not exactly rocket science. Even *I* know how to pick a lock, and I'm just a regular schoolgirl.

Now, had Padme magically discovered she had force powers, teleported her, Anakin, and Obi-Wan someplace safe, then built a Death Star and destroyed Geonosis while doing the tango with Jar Jar, I would agree with you. But she just picked a lock.

If you can believe Yoda can float an x-wing or pick up a lightsaber and fight (let alone exist) in a movie, there's no reason to get upset because Padme picks a lock. It isn't something that's going to cause the audience's suspension of disbelief to come crashing down, especially concidering that's one of the more normal things that's happened in SW.

Oh, and I hope we get to see the family scenes on the AOTC DVD; It's a shame her backround gets cut out. :(
  25. Jar Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, it's not just a simple lock I'm assuming on the handcuffs, so picking it would just not be a snap but she made it seem that way. Not only that, but she did it almost casually like it's something she's done many times. I dunno it just seemed weird. Not like "Oh my god this invalidates the whole movie!" weird just weird.

I guess I'm saying that if I expected anyone to do that, it would have been on of her two Jedi friends. I figure they would know more about it then her, and Anakin could have got one of her pins to do this while they were together. Anyway, whatever!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.