main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seiously, what was so BAD about Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jewlmc, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    still pickin i see. natalie did a good job. tpm she was a political robot who talkes stricktly buisness. aotc she got to be more herself and what do you want in the deleivery of political lines? the love scenes were good i beleived she loves him but may have rushed things just a bit considering shes only dated twice in her 24 years. the acting was fine if you want crying boohoo love letter crap go watch titanic.

2. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    EDIT: Ack! Sophita what have you done with your icon?!? [face_shocked]

?[face_plain] Switched it to Vader for a day? Switched it to this one? What's wrong with it? :(

-During the fireplace scene I really don't see any struggle in her face, or in her voice. Actually she sounds kinda bored to me.

Well, she's a politician, so I would hope she knows how to keep her emotions off her face.

I don't think she sounds bored at all, but that's a matter of opinion.

Believe it or not, you can have looks and acting skills in a character, Carrie Fisher is an example of this.

That's a matter of opinion-The bad thing about what makes a "good" actor/actress or a "bad" one is that it's all a manner of opinion. :p (I'd agree with you up until ROTJ, although Ms. Fisher isn't the only cast member in that movie who just more or less just walks through it without bothering to act much.)

I do NOT want carbon copies, I want some enthusiasm, some sparks. Padme is so DULL and she doesn't stood up infront of you as a character. As I said before, she is just a piece of cardboard. A pretty one, but still a cardboard.

That's your opinion; Personally I like Padme as she is because I think she is a great, subtle character.

And I know this question is going to make me sound really dumb, but what do you mean by enthusiasm? Enthusiasm in Portman for playing Padme? Enthusiasm in Padme's character? etc...

And to be honest, why wasn't she given more roles? In TPM, she is quite the leading lady, in AOTC, apart from the little battle part ( which she screwed when falling off the plane) she is just ( as forever-jedi said) " an eye-candy".

What is your definition of eye candy? Mine is something that's pretty, and is put there only because it's good looking, and has no function other than, well, being beautiful.

Padme is an important character in AOTC-Her actions influence much in the film and in the saga. She also has 2 battles in this one compared to the one in TPM.

I don't think Padme needed more roles; Her character is complex enough as it is, and complex enough I think any actress would have trouble portraying her.

Sophita: I don't want a cut out copy of Leia, believe me that is the last thing I want. What I want is Ms. Portman to show us more depth in Padme. Show us a blend of the politician and the woman her all in a smooth well put together blend. Someone who has a quite conviction a sweet naivete flowing out of her at all times.

That's what I wanted from Padme. But that's not what I got.

I think it does come through though, more so in TPM (particularily the scenes in the senate & Palpatine's office) then it does in AOTC. AOTC Padme mostly shows her away from her job duties, so we don't get a lot of politician Padme.

To Sophita, No I do NOT carbon copies of the OT, thank you. Never did. Luke, Han, Leia are unique and it would be silly to clone them. Instead I want fresh new characters who I can relate to, love, laugh with, cry for, etc. Padme leaves me disinterested in her - this is as much a fault with the character as with NP's unimaginative and wooden acting. May be EIII will change my views. In the meantime, I am happy with other wonderful new characters in TPM and AOTC that GL has kindly provided, to keep me happy and content.

I agree on not wanting carbon copies, but so many people in so many threads I've seen more or less seem to say "Padme should be more like Leia." which hasn't really made that much sense to me. (I tend to think of Leia as her father's daughter. :p)

Well, different strokes for different folks I guess. I like Padme a lot, and I think she's an incredibly rich character who's actress isn't lacking any more than the rest of the cast. But I respect y'all's options, too, even if I don't agree with 'em. :)

It is equally possible that in EIII, Padme will wake up from her "daze" as she sees Anakin become "more friendly" with Palpatine and more oriented towards a dictatorship to bring about order in the clone wars.

Daze? Just

3. bassethound

bassethound Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    It is equally possible that in EIII, Padme will wake up from her "daze" as she sees Anakin become "more friendly" with Palpatine and more oriented towards a dictatorship to bring about order in the clone wars.
    --------------------------------------
    True, I hope to see some of that.

the love scenes were good i beleived she loves him but may have rushed things just a bit considering shes only dated twice in her 24 years.
    ---------------------------------------
    Which brought us to main point: how did she marry him, if she dated him only twice? Please don't bring up " personal experience". She is supposed to be a senator, and she is not exposed to other men?

-During the fireplace scene I really don't see any struggle in her face, or in her voice. Actually she sounds kinda bored to me.

Well, she's a politician, so I would hope she knows how to keep her emotions off her face.
    But, she still need to relate this to us, the audience.She was just so STIFF on that scene. I don't see her as a senator who keep her emotion in check, but as someone who doesn't want to be kiss ( probably true, LOL)

I do NOT want carbon copies, I want some enthusiasm, some sparks. Padme is so DULL and she doesn't stood up infront of you as a character. As I said before, she is just a piece of cardboard. A pretty one, but still a cardboard.

That's your opinion; Personally I like Padme as she is because I think she is a great, subtle character.

And I know this question is going to make me sound really dumb, but what do you mean by enthusiasm? Enthusiasm in Portman for playing Padme? Enthusiasm in Padme's character? etc...
    ------------------------------------------
    Enthusiasm in Portman for playing Padme. As some reviewers said: Portman looks like she was sleepwalking most of the time. And NO, I don't see her as senator like, but as someone who doesn't want to be there.

4. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    Another GREAT thread about Padme:

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=7544585&page=1

:)

5. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    bassethound, you took the words right out of my fingers! :)

EDIT: HAHAHAH! That is a great thread bassethound!

6. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    bassethound rules ;)

7. maninthearena

maninthearena Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2002
    I've been lurking around these parts for a very long time, but this discussion is just too good to pass up posting on. So if this post is terrible, remember that it's my first!

I think a lot of the problems people have with Padmé deal with the fact that she wasn't what everyone expected from Anakin's wife/Leia's mother/Luke's mother during the years 1983-1998. I think the character and her story in and of itself works wonderfully, but until TPM (or in some cases AotC) a lot of people thought the Anakin-Padmé love story would be traditional and not "forbidden" because we didn't know all Jedis were permanently single, or that Anakin and Obi-Wan would both be after Padmé in a "love triangle" storyline, or that Padmé would be a Senator and a queen, or any number of other things. When you actually look at how the character we've got stacks up, I think the Padmé character is actually quite excellent, in that she's this super-strong woman that is wise beyond her years who ends up losing everything, including probably her life itself, because of her unwise and irrational love for Anakin. Like Anakin, her kids, the very product of that love, saving the galaxy in the end redeems her too, which is why she should really be in the ending of RotJ as a spirit (wrong board, I know). It's important, I think, to remember that since the Star Wars films as a whole are the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker that just like how all six movies are parts of that greater story, all of the characters are parts of Anakin's story. Padmé's primary function in the story isn't to be Queen of Naboo or Galactic Senator or handmaiden, it's to be the girl Anakin loves. Here's how the two main things that seem to be discussed in this thread relate to that.

Looks: Attacking the most contested monster first, of course she has to be good looking. It's quite important to the story to believe that she could persuade a Jedi - and not just any Jedi, but the Jedi with the greatest potential ever, the "Chosen One" - sworn to celibacy into disobeying the code and attempting to be with her. Granted, I'm sure it's not supposed to be inferred that Anakin fell for her only because of her beauty, but I'm pretty sure there's never been a guy that's wanted a girl that bad without finding her very attractive. So what's easier, casting a girl that anyone could see why Anakin thinks she's all that or having Anakin go around telling enough other characters "man, that Padmé's really a knockout, ain't she" so that we believe he's really got it for her? This is why I believe that while her beauty couldn't cover for her being a mannequin, it is a integral part of the story and character and thus a somewhat valid defense of her, at least when combined with others.

Personality: She's a strong-willed politician that is a natural leader of others but has compassion and love for others much more so than almost all other politicians and generally does what she believes is right. See: Organa, Leia. She doesn't quite have Leia's rebelliousness, in that respect she's closer to Luke. So I'd say she's definitely like her kids personality-wise, and I'd say she's definitely a good match for what a guy like Anakin would look for in a woman if he was to be looking for one, and isn't that all that matters?

I think Portman's performance of the Padmé character's personality in TPM and AotC was what it needed to be. Performances in the PT seem more understated in general, which makes intuitive sense because we're dealing with the authority figures this time around. In the OT most of the focus was on the anti-authority Rebels. The characters of guys like Admiral Piett and General Veers would fit in the PT, while Luke and Leia would be fish out of water. Padmé Amidala in particular shouldn't be going around saying whatever she wants or talking in anything but a regal and dignified voice because she's a representative of the Republic. When she needs to let go and be "Padmé, girl Anakin falls in love with" she generally does, but in a way that fits with her character. I thi

8. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    Thank you Obi-grls and Red Talon :)

9. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Okay, I have to get involved in this thread. (Ignores chorus of groans.)

What's so bad about Padme? Well, first off, even tho WE didn't know it, she was raised in a society that KNEW the Jedi were permanently single. Yet, she dressed inappropriately, given that knowledge, when they were on Naboo.

Two, none of the indications that she was ready to throw over her old role and fall in love were presented in the movie. The family scenes were cut, so we don't have a clue as to what is going on in her mind until we get to the fireplace scene on Naboo. And she shuts Anakin down (or is that shoots?).

Three, Natalie's acting was very wooden and unbelievable.

Of course, she had to be beautiful. But a senator and queen? Not necessarily. Can you picture her living the life of a moisture farmer's wife on Tatooine? I can't. Not with her wardrobe and hairdos.

Just my 2 cents worth.

10. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    maninthearena

I respect your POV. I just wanted to say in all honesty that I had no preconceived ideas of the "Padme" character at all except that she would be beautiful, compassionate and for obvious reasons, sad. In TPM, I enjoyed the character, Padme, a strong leader of an entire planet at age 14. She naively falls for Palpatine's ploy and enables him to be Supreme C, but I can't blame her. I have to admit that I found Natalie Portman's acting to be not up to par in TPM, except for a few scenes, the Senate ones in particular.

In AOTC, on the other hand, I do not like Padme's character very much. She seems to have lost her "strong woman, senator, ruler of a planet, wise beyond her years" type of persona. She comes across as a teenage girl in love. Padme has been reduced to Anakin's love interest and a means to bring Luke/leia into the world, in AOTC. Since she is the female lead in AOTC, I don't like it. For me, she doesn't portray a woman in conflict between duty and love. Her sudden "love" is very surprising to me. I can understand her showing sympathy and compassion to Anakin from Tatooine onwards, but love? It's a little out-of-the-blue. Also, her sense of duty to the Republic, the Senate and its current, serious problems seems to have disappeared completely once she left Coruscant - not in character with someone with a strong sense of duty.

And, this is not meant for you personally, but I am getting tired of everyone who says that just because I don't care much for the Padme character in AOTC, I must have wanted another "Leia" or had "pre-conceived" notions.

As for Natalie P's acting in AOTC, it IS better than in TPM, but she still comes up quite short IMO.

I also want to mention that it is so interesting that we are all SW fans in this thread, and yet we have such different opinions of a character. Just shows GL's genius in hitting an extremely wide audience who take away very different things from his wonderful creation!

EDIT: Lady Sami Can you picture her living the life of a moisture farmer's wife on Tatooine? I can't. Not with her wardrobe and hairdos.

I can't either! You've just got to see her next to Beru to see that! And yet,many people have the idea that Anakin and she will simply give up their incredibly meaningful former lives and live happily on Tatooine with the Lars' until bad Obi-Wan comes to snatch poor Anakin away!

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    ForeverJedi,

Thanks! I know, maybe it's just the audience's naivette! I could just see her on Tatooine: "Oh, I'm getting sunburned! Where's the sunscreen? What do you mean, Tashee Station was out of sunscreen! I'm gonna look like an old woman soon!"

:)

12. Red-Talon

Jul 12, 2002
    Man, this thread rules. :)

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi, good posts, glad to see ya joining in. ;)

13. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    Of course, she had to be beautiful. But a senator and queen? Not necessarily. Can you picture her living the life of a moisture farmer's wife on Tatooine? I can't. Not with her wardrobe and hairdos.

Just my 2 cents worth.

LOL!! I found that pretty funny as well :)

14. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    ur totally right "Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi"

the arrogance is written in Portman's face

15. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Hey ladies...I really don't see what the big deal is in dissing Padme & Natalie Portman?

Outside of her, what other Hollywood leading ladies do you have to look up to, especially this summer?

Oh, wait, there are none. There just cardboard cutout eye candy. Face it ladies, Hollywood has no respect for you whatsoever. You should be bowing before George Lucas for writing female leads with substance and style.

16. Red-Talon

Jul 12, 2002
    Outside of her, what other Hollywood leading ladies do you have to look up to, especially this summer?

Oh, wait, there are none.

So I take it AOTC and Spiderman are the only movies you've seen so far this summer?

You should be bowing before George Lucas for writing female leads with substance and style.

Wait, he did? When? Why wasn't I notified of this? Maybe Leia had style and substance, but Padme is very lacking in both catagories.

17. maninthearena

maninthearena Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2002
    Leia was definitely cool and ruled in the OT, but saying she had more style than Padmé has had so far is kinda far-fetched. Padmé's had some awesome costumes and looks (which is what I'd assume you'd mean by style), meanwhile Leia ran around for all of A New Hope in a white bedsheet. And the Padmé character has a lot more substance and a much better developed personality and background then most of the girls being trotted out in most of the other big-time films these days.

18. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi: HAHAHAHA! What a great post!

Red-Talon:

Oh, wait, there are none.

So I take it AOTC and Spiderman are the only movies you've seen so far this summer?

You should be bowing before George Lucas for writing female leads with substance and style.

Wait, he did? When? Why wasn't I notified of this? Maybe Leia had style and substance, but Padme is very lacking in both catagories.

Great job Red-Talon!!! Like you, I in know way find style or substance in Ms. Portman's portrayal of Padme.

19. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    meanwhile Leia ran around for all of A New Hope in a white bedsheet.

But the essense of true style is being able to be dressed in a white bedsheet(or potato sack, depending on the film) and doing it with aplumb. :) Anyone who can carry off that dress and danishes on her ears was showing serious style. LOL!

Personally I like Natalie Portman, she's obviously quite intelligent and has a good head on her shoulders besides being very beautiful(and I always try to support fellow petite brunettes with dark eyes, brown on brown is so often considered "dull"--anyone remember that old commercial for colored contacts--"And she was beautiful with eyes as brown as...as brown as...old shoes" :rolleyes: ) . But Padme...I wasn't convinced Padme was what she was supposed to be.

20. jedi-phydeaux-mutt

jedi-phydeaux-mutt Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    come on now. The raisin smuggling white jumpsuit, ala Erin Grey from Buck Rogers was pretty sharp

21. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    Hey ladies...I really don't see what the big deal is in dissing Padme & Natalie Portman?

======================================

The Abstract- you can be banned for flaming.

Keep it on the topic please.

22. JediLeiaOrgana

JediLeiaOrgana Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    I think, bassethound, that we all got a little off topic.

This thread is about what you don't like about Padme, not about getting into a debate over whether or not Natalie Portman was a good chocie for Padme/Amidala. Nor is it a topic for people to out and out bash on Portman.

This topic is about what we don't like about the character of Padme. I stated what I though, and so did a lot of other people.

Sometimes certain people just need to accept other people's opinions and points of view and let it go.

And come on all you Natalie/Padme lovers, isn't their one thing that you didn't like about Padme? One line that you winced at? Honestly now...

~*~Jedi Leia~*~

23. Real_Anakin

Real_Anakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2002
    I just have one thing to say.

She the most beautiful actress ever and and

I love her. MORE THAN WORD CAN SAY.

24. celera

celera Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Why does Padme have to be a moisture farmer? She wasn't educated for that. She's a politician, plain and simple.

Plus, I really picture Luke as his mother's son. They're both compassionate and a similar attitude toward life. When Luke says there's nothing he could do about the Empire even though he hates it, I think of when Padme says she can't get with Anakin because there's nothing they could do about their career limitations.

25. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    The Abstract- you can be banned for flaming.

Keep it on the topic please.

I don't see how that question has anything to do with flaming. Let me re-phrase it then.

How do other female lead characters compare to Senator Padme Amidala, especially in this summer's Hollywood films?

Just curious. Usually there is a specific ideal that others use as a model for a well-written female character.

Peace out.

Abstract

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.