main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seiously, what was so BAD about Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jewlmc, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Yeah! What TheAbstract said!

2. RangerPrincess

RangerPrincess Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002

I agree!
    Simply because I'm so sick of people saying, Natalie is hot!!
    I'm SICK of it!
    Geez, I get the point, and personally, I've seen better looking gals than her in my area! :p

Natalie Portman is a amazing actress, especially to play Padmé Amidala, it's not because of her 'looks', it's because of her talent.

3. lordmack

lordmack Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2002
    Sorry everyone, I'am not trying to say that Portman is a bad actress or anything like that, she's a great actress and I think she's the right person for this role, I admit it I went over board with the "hot" stuff, but I'am not trying to take away Portman's great acting, her looks have nothing to do with your acting and I admit that, sorry if I ofended any of the girls, I was being stupid, sorry everyone, I'am disgrace to starwars, were all cool?

4. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    No apologies necessary lordmack. I think she's pretty hot too. [face_love]

Although I did see someone post in another thread that she looks too foreign. WTF?

It just doesn't make for a good rebuttal to criticism on her acting.

5. RangerPrincess

Jun 23, 2002

[face_laugh]

Ewan McGregor is hot, not Natalie. ;)
    Get it straight.

6. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I think we can all agree, at the very least, that Portman is a highly attractive and desirable young woman.

Anyone who doubts her acting talent, however, should check out her debut, THE PROFESSIONAL, otherwise known as LEON, with Jean Reno and Gary Oldman. She is nothing sort of STUNNING in the role of young orphan-turned-assassin-in-training. Message to Luc Besson: we're all waiting for a sequel!!

I'm also a big fan of ANYWHRE BUT HERE, a coming-of-age-God-my-mom-is-an-idiot kind of movie, with Susan Sarandon as her way-too liberal mother.

And now Natalie's shooting a film with Nicole Kidman! Two of the most beautiful, talented actresses in Hollywood, together in one movie! It's almost too good to be true.

7. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    Yeah, what The_Abstract said.

8. Jedi_Chai

Jedi_Chai Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    I remain undecided about Natalie's performance in AotC though I liked her well enough in TPM. I expected a formality to her when she was in her Queen make-up. But in AotC, I thought there should have been some relaxation of that stiffness, particularly in the fireplace scene and in the confession scene. I thought she did well in the meadow scene and the pear scene but she was back to formality in the fireplace and confession scenes. Though I did like her edging away from Anakin in the fireplace scene and her avoiding his eyes.

9. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Some interesting points...

(Well except for the "She's HOT.." Adnauseum :p )

First off all the person who ripped into Carrie Fisher's personal life and called her a Psycho coke addict... :p :p :p

WHO are YOU to rip into someone's personal life? This isn't about THAT...nor any of Natalie's personal issues. And it just proves you don't have a good argument when you say "I like Natalie's performance better cause Carrie was on crack.."

Whatever..

Like I said...I liked Padme. I just didn't connect with her the way I should. I wasn't expecting Leia but I think I was expecting more.

I agree with AL about the three different character traits clashing. She was trying be the "Cold Queen..." the plucky heroine, and a bit of Leia.

The Leia part coming out of nowhere in that really wiered and IMO contrived "H/L moment" when they arrive on geneosis. YOu know the one where they get into a stupid argument out of nowhere? It just didn't mesh with their relationship thus far...

So in other words it was a BIT uneven. BUT I think it was decent for the story thus far.

My worry...EP III is going to be an EMOTIONALLY charged film. All the things Padme will be feeling that WE NEED to feel is going to take ALOT of work. I hope she bones up for it, because I think her performance may make or break the film. You may think Hayden's or Ewan's is the one but frankly I feel it rests on Natalie and Padme.

10. JediPezDispenser

JediPezDispenser Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    well first things first, Natalie Portman is hot and no ,she can't act in SW movies(havent seen her in anything else)but I want to talk about the CHARACTER Padme Amidala Naberrie Skywalker.

I really don't like her.

First in the Phantom Menace she is easily manipulated into helping Palpatine become Chancellor.

Then in Attack Of The Clonnes she leaves and she leaves Jar Jar in charge.Jar Jar!Jar Jar is an idiot!Why would you leave him in CHARGE?!?!?!

Then after knowing Anakin kills women and children this woman marries him.

Whats to like?

11. RangerPrincess

Jun 23, 2002
    Padmé has never be in love, she never let herself until Anakin. She was a fool. [face_plain]

And she loves him, she forgive him, and he cried, in her mind (probably)that was showing he was guilty, so she doesn't think he's all evil and all.

Padmé was stupid. :p
    If my boyfriend or something did that, I would flee from him.

Leaving Jar in charge was stupid, but really, who else was there? I didn't see a other Senate member from Naboo besides Jar.
    Padmé had no choice.

12. JediPezDispenser

JediPezDispenser Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    "Padmé has never be in love, she never let herself until Anakin. She was a fool."

I'm with you on this.

"And she loves him, she forgive him, and he cried, in her mind (probably)that was showing he was guiltly, so she doesn't think he's all evil and all."

Yeah,she ain't too bright.

"Padmé was stupid."

Yep.
    "If my boyfriend or something did that, I would flee from him.

Leaving Jar in charge was stupid, but really, who else was there? I didn't see a other Senate member from Naboo besides Jar.
    Padmé had no choice."

NO ONE would have been a more senible alternative.

13. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Most of the people (god bless their souls), are overlooking Portman's less than stellar Star Wars performances because of her looks.

Yes, she's a pretty lady, and not a half bad actress...JUST NOT FOR STAR WARS. She seems to lack Leia's grittiness and hard nosed determination. I know..."who wants to see re-hashes of OT?" But wouldn't you think the mother of this galaxy's most gutsy princess would be more of a fighter?

But, regardless...Mr. Lucas is the one calling these shots, and what he says goes. Until I learn how to control minds...then....mwaaahahahaha...we will see what a Star Wars movie really is! Mwaahahaha

14. Tru_Veld

Tru_Veld Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2002
    Well I think she has been great as Padme, will never understand why there is need for criticism.
    No matter what she looks like, she seems perfect as Padme for me and thats all that matters, as far as I am concerned.

15. bassethound

bassethound Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    I agree with Devilanse, she needs to put more effort into the character.

16. lordmack

Jul 5, 2002
    That's what I been trying to say the whole time, Portman is a great actress, but AOTC and TPM doesn't show Portman's skills.

17. macoco

macoco Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2000
    Who is this character anyway?

She is someone accustomed to getting her own way, someone who is always in charge. She bullied the Jedi into finding her assasssin. It was her idea to be bait. In every instance, she has the upper hand over Anakin. She is in control, always. throughout the entire thing. This is presented visually and symbolically, and in dialogue. Anakin having no right hand at their marriage sums up his relation to Padme throughout the movie. She demeans Anakin and emasculates him, and with subtlety. Leia was definite type-A, someone who wants the upper hand, but never attains it because she's too trying too hard. Padme's mentor is Palpatine, she has no problem controlling situations, and she always maintains her cool (wooden acting?). Woman on top. In the battle of Geonosis she leads the charge while Anakin rides in the wagon. Padme don't take no s@#t. So whadaya want? Leia? In the one instance where Padme loses control, it is R2D2 that comes to her rescue.

About Portman's acting: as the character I describe above she gives a remarkably believeable performance, as she did as the 'young and naive' Queen in the previous episode. Because people look for what is NOT there, they fail to notice what IS there, and they miss the point entirely. AOTC is an amazing allegorical tale with fine performances all around.

18. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Padme is just another one of Anakin's masters.

From Watto to Obi Wan to Padme to Palpatine.

19. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Okay... For the last time. I thought Natalie was great. See- I don't see wooden acting. I just don't see it. and I don't care. I can't wait for the dvd to come out. sweet. :D anyways... I thought she did great. I like her. she's cool. ... :cool: um... peace :cool:

20. Mouchster

Mouchster Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2002
    I thought, the character works fine for me. I have no probems with Nathalie as an actress.I've seen seen her other movies and think she is indeed a very talented actress.

Her role (not acting) in the TPM was flat, because that is what was expected of her character as a young queen. She portrayed that was expected of her and did a fine job.

In AOTC we see a far more liberated performance, again, because that is what is expected of her character this time around. I found Nathalie's performance much more interesting this time for these reasons. A far less formal Padme, one with conflicting feeling for her devotion for her work and those feeling for Anakin.

I'm one of those who believe that her character is one of the most interesting and complex of the entire saga, and is one those things I enjoy most about the PT. I do think some people just don't understand the PT. They were expecting the charactiztion that was present in the OT. This isn't possible since the entire PT is setup in a much more formal envirnment than was OT, which was a daker era as whole. Until people realize this important point, we will continue to hear complaints about how these character lacked emotions or were flat. They were meant to come across that way.

But there will always be those who dislike any of the PT characters. I tend to like and enjoy these their performances and that is good enough for me.

Finally, one thing that is certain when it comes to Star Wars, there will always be critics, reviewers, fans and non - fans alike that will dislike some part of the Star Wars no matter what. But I won't let it detract from my enjoyment of the new PT.

21. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    I really think Lucas should have cast a SW-fan to do Padme.
    Well its to late to replace her :(
    Tho there r still a few posibillities.
    1)She should be forced to watch the OT over and over again (and pay special attention to Carrie Fishers acting)
    2)Replace her by a CGI character [face_devil]

The_Abstract wrote : "Although I did see someone post in another thread that she looks too foreign. WTF? "

here some facts

Birth: Tuesday June 9th, 1981, in Jerusalem, Israel

Favorite TV Shows: Friends, Ellen, Dawson's Creek, Jerry Springer

omg Jerry Springer !!

nuff said [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh] :D [face_laugh]

PortmanhomePage

edit: im a Sw-fan with whole of my heart
    jar-jar is okay , dont care that theres Ewoks
    im fine with C3PO and the droid-factory scene
    and some plot holes
    but Natalie [face_plain] :eek: :mad: :(
    and her acting :_| :_| :_| :_|

ps Zam looks much better and leia offcourse

just my 10 dollar errrr 2 cents ;)

22. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    You said it, Mouchster ;) :cool: I agree!! :D

EDIT: Thats dumb obi. and Rude. hmph! :p

23. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    "Thats dumb obi. and Rude. hmph" ? ?[face_plain] ¿ ? ?[face_plain] ¿

24. bassethound

bassethound Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    Ah don't worry Obi. Some of these people are blinded by looks instead of acting :)

25. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I'm really tried of people dismissing those whoh liked Natatlie's performance by saying they were "blinded by her looks". It shows no respect for that persons opinion and sounds arrogant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.