main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seiously, what was so BAD about Padme?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jewlmc, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassethound

bassethound Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    She is my hero as well!

Well said, Jedi Leia Organa ;)

BTW, you are right, RangerPrincess. I preferred TPM than AOTC. At least I can follow the story in TPM.

2. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    JediLeiaOrgana: Right on! And you are entitled to your opinion! Hehehe, your my brain wave buddy!

bassethound: Hahaha, I love how you defined passion! :)

To both JediLeiaOrgana and bassethound: Thanks you guys so much, your support has been great! You both are my heroes!

The_Abstract and to everyone else who said "How can you say she was uncomfortable": No matter what I say all you are going to say is "that is not a valid opinion, you can't back it up." And quite frankly I am getting sick of this argument. So here is my opinion (once more):

As an actor and watching many plays and movies it seems to me that Ms.Portman feels a bit out of sorts in her SW role. You want me to back up that statement fine I will. When you feel comfortable in a role, just like in any other job you like, doing it comes naturally to you. You don't have to force anything, you are just having a good time and the acting simply flows.

After watching AOTC a few times, and seeing one of her better movies "The Professional" Ms. Portman doesn't seem to be comfortable as Padme. Like some of her smiles and laughs during the 'love scenes' seemed forced. Or after she breaks away from the first kiss, the way she said her lines seemed very mechanical to me. And during the true love confession scene (I know I will be bashed for this) just was way to overly done and melodramatic, like she didn't wanted to take the easy way rather than go for something deeper.

Thank is

So those are my opinions everybody. I'm not asking you to like them, but please respect mine like I respect yours.

Obis-Grl

Ps: For everyone who was like "She wouldn't have signed to be on SW if she didn't want to do it." Well, like JediLeiaOrgana I really don't think she truly knew what she was getting into. Like having guys at her university (doesn't she go to Brown)? screaming to her at parties going "HEY QUEEN AMIDALA!" (That really happens to her at school)

3. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    And during the true love confession scene (I know I will be bashed for this) just was way to overly done and melodramatic, like she didn't wanted to take the easy way rather than go for something deeper.

Ha, I messed up! What I meant was...

"And during the true love confession scene (I know I will be bashed for this) just was way to overly done and melodramatic, like she wanted to take the easy way rather than go for something deeper."

See what you people do to me! You get me all worked up and I can't type!

:) Silly Obis-Grl

4. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    "And during the true love confession scene (I know I will be bashed for this) just was way to overly done and melodramatic, like she wanted to take the easy way rather than go for something deeper."

Man....I thought she was about to burst into giggles in that scene. If I remember correctly, Hayden was grinning and I sweared he is about to laugh as well :)

5. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Yea bassethound your right. Not only was it way to overly done but the actors did look like they could just die laughing.

6. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    Obi-grl: LOL ;)

7. JediLeiaOrgana

JediLeiaOrgana Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Thanks Red-Talon, bassethound and Obis-grl! [face_blush] You're all my hero's too!! :p

And Obis-Grl, just for further refrence, she goes to Harvard. [face_shocked]

~*~Jedi Leia~*~

8. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Well I was just a little off...LoL!

9. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    "No matter what I say all you are going to say is "that is not a valid opinion, you can't back it up." And quite frankly I am getting sick of this argument."

I have no problem with you stating your opinion. But it does come off kind of weak when you engage in rumor-mongering and illogical conclusions to back it up like:

"Natalie Portman is embarrassed to be in Star Wars."

Yes, you do need proof to back this up. It looks like you're saying she made this statement. Not you. Then you make assumptions based on this, which sway your perspective on her acting. And it sure sounds like you don't care for her performance when you bring up both the actress and the way she played the scenes.

"I think Natalie likes her role, and maybe she did try hard enough to make it great, or maybe GL wanted her lines to be stiff, either way, we will never know the truth, we can only make up ideas and persuade people to believe them too."

Uh,no. You can't just make stuff up in your head and present it as fact. Especially if you're being critical towards another person. It's called slander, and it's illegal.

"PS: Off the rumor mill, they said Lucas dressed Natalie up in EP II, because after watching TPM he realized Nat can't act."

Again, with the pointless rumors. If you watch the behind the scenes documentaries on the Official Site, you'll here the answer straight from George Lucas himself as to why he chose the costumes in AOTC. Stop using unfounded rumors to bash others.

10. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    I have no problem with you stating your opinion. But it does come off kind of weak when you engage in rumor-mongering and illogical conclusions to back it up like

The_Abstract How have I taken part in rumors (Or are you just saying that about the 'Queen Amidala' thing I said in my last post, which isn't a rumor, but rather Ms. Portman is quotes saying that to People Magazine. I'll be happy to look for the issue so I can tell you in which I found it, but that's only if you want.

And The_Abstract I am making my opinion of Ms. Portman being uncomfortable in her SW role off of observation and experience, I do admit that. But I have come to my conclusion (an illogical conclusion as you like to call it) by watching her other movies and then watch her in SW. And when you watch some of her performances (ex: The Professional) you can tell that she could do so much more in the SW films. She has true potential to shine, but something is keeping her back.

And in many cases when actors hold back (I myself have done this too) it is because they don't feel comfortable in their role. And when you feel uncomfortable because of the character you play, a lot of times you allow your acting to suffer by becoming stiff and wooden.

The_Abstract that is what I base my conclusion on. On my own observations and experience as an actor.

But I will say one thing in Ms. Portman's defense. She is all to blame on her performance. Even though I love GL, he real isn't the kind of director that directs actors well. With all the other aspects of SW, he tends to forget that he needs to truly guide his actor so they can let their performances shine.

11. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I posted the following on a different thread (where it was out-of-topic), and was kindly directed by Bassethound to this one.

As for Natalie Portman: eye-candy. She is only a little better in AOTC compared to TPM, but the Padme character is much worse. Padme comes across as 17 years old, helpless, immature, a naive provincial Naboo girl, not an important Galactic senator. If NP had put in more effort, I think the critics would have been a little kinder to AOTC, too. [/i]

In AOTC, Natalie is quite uneven, acting-wise. She is good in some scenes - meadow, transport from Coruscant to Naboo, love confession, Lars kitchen, etc - but bad in others - goodbye to Dorme, first meeting with Palpatine, opening explosion. In general, she is wooden, not subtle (For latter, check out Gregory Peck in "To Kill a Mockingbird", or nearer home, Jango-Obi-Wan in Jango's apartment or Dooku-Obi-Wan in force-field).

However, the bigger problem I have is with the character of Padme in AOTC. Is this the two-time Queen of Naboo? The galactic senator who has worked so hard for a year to defeat the military creation Act? Is this a 24-year-old woman who has been in power for 10 years? Quite unconvincing. The moment she arrives on Naboo, she first starts to inappropriately flirt with a 19-year-old Jedi trainee (backless dress, leather dress, picnics, etc). Shouldn't she have been checking with Jar-Jar? Then she becomes, as so many others have pointed out, an "enabler" for Anakin. Her love pledge (though acted nicely, IMO) comes so much out-of-the-blue for me, that on my first viewing, I almost fell out of my seat (similar to Anakin's reaction). Her dialog starting from after Shmi's funeral are corny and teenagish.

This almost makes me think that poor Padme was mind-tricked by Palpatine when she left Coruscant and she will wake up in EIII, dazed, confused and pregnant!

I desperately wish that we will see a stronger Padme in EIII, someone who reminds us of why Luke and Leia were so strong and talented. As for NP's acting in EIII, who knows? I only hope she tries harder.

F_J

12. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    forever_jedi, welcome to the thread...

13. bassethound

Jul 31, 2002
    Good on ya, Obi-Grl!

Welcome forever-jedi ;)

14. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    You go Obis-Grl!!

And welcome forever_jedi!

15. Frank1212

Frank1212 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 2001
    I would consider Natalie's acting as mediocre, but definitely no where near stellar.

16. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I would consider Natalie's acting as mediocre, but definitely no where near stellar.

Mediocre= dull

Stellar= extreme/astronomical/excessive

I think you need to rephrase that sentence, man ;)

17. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    I do agree we do not see Padme acting out in her Senatorial role in the movie, but the main scene which would have shown that (her address to the Senate after the assassination attempt) was cut out. Hopefully it will be included (in the DVD); now, if she comes across as a lost little provinicial girl in that, you may have a point. I still don't understand why people think she's weak; it's the decisions of the Jedi and Palpatine which force her to go into hiding, and from the arena on I think she's a very strong character, holding her own in a fight.

And as for the criticisms of her being wooden and uncomfortable, I see it more as her acting in character--reserved and formal, especially in the beginning with the Chancellor and with Obi-Wan. The PT is a different time, and we are seeing different kinds of people from the OT; diplomats, high politicians and the Jedi at their height--a more formal, standoffish time, with people acting in their official roles. The stiffness which many complain about regarding Padme and the other actors in the PT does not bother me. I also don't see it as bad or misdirected acting; that's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it! :)

-----

EDIT: The character of Amidala is quite broad; she is a politician/diplomat, a warrior/leader, and a woman falling in love & showing compassion and empathy. All these roles are very different from each other, and I think Ms. Portman does a fine job in fulfilling them. I'm sure there are other actresses who could have fulfilled one or two of those roles, even better than she did, but all of them? If anyone can suggest someone who they think could have pulled this off, I am open to suggestions.

18. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Thanks Scruffy!

I was wondering if anyone else was going to come in here and stick up for Padme.

19. Red-Talon

Jul 12, 2002
    And as for the criticisms of her being wooden and uncomfortable, I see it more as her acting in character--reserved and formal, especially in the beginning with the Chancellor and with Obi-Wan. The PT is a different time, and we are seeing different kinds of people from the OT

While it is a different time, a different place, and a different setting, I don't feel that's a good reason to excuse her acting performance in TPM and AOTC. It's quite possible to stay reserved and formal, but still be an interesting character. Also, she most likely wouldn't bring her professional life into her personal life.

Just a little emotion when with Anakin, after his Mom dies, maybe the fireplace scene, or at least when you profess your love to him! During the love profession scene where she says "I truly, deeply love you" I kept thinking to myself: "Doesn't sound like it, sister." When she tries to sound professional and boring, she does an okay job, but when she's suspose to be showing emotion she doesn't reach the mediocre mark imo.

When she approaches Anakin during the Tusken confession scene, it looks like she just came out of a coma, and then when Anakin is giving his confession her reactions way under shoots it. I mean, she's seeing a man she's in love with break down infront of her eyes, and her reaction runs along the lines of "Shucks" or "Bummer".

And last of all, although she is suspose to act reserved at parts, as I said earlier, that doesn't stop her from being interesting. Mace Windu is a very reserved stiff character, and I thought Sammy L.J. did a good job with the role, also Palpetine was a fairly reserved role through the beginning of the movie, but man, I think Ian nailed it. Natalie on the other hand... well she didn't to say the least.

20. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Yes, to Scruffy-looking and The_Abstract you listen!

I wonder if people honestly would have prefered to see the PT as merely a carbon copy of the OT; It sure seems like many would like Padme/Anakin to be just like Leia/Han, or Padme to be just like Leia, etc...Personally, I'm glad characters aren't carbon copies. :/

21. Red-Talon

Jul 12, 2002
    I wonder if people honestly would have prefered to see the PT as merely a carbon copy of the OT; It sure seems like many would like Padme/Anakin to be just like Leia/Han, or Padme to be just like Leia, etc...Personally, I'm glad characters aren't carbon copies.

I wouldn't have liked it if it were just a carbon copy . ;) However I would have liked it much more, (keep in mind AOTC has been my favorite movie of the saga), if:

a) Lucas had picked a different actress for Padme.

b) The love story was a little less melodramatic.

c) Hayden would work on balancing his acting a little better. I think he's good, but he's also hit and miss, some scenes he blew me away, others I nearly gagged.

I don't need carbon copies, infact I enjoy almost all the characters, even Jar Jar I can stand somewhat! Infact is a rated the characters of the OT to the characters of the PT, it'd come out pretty even. Its just Padme! She's a dull character, and Natalie somehow makes her dull-er.

22. Scruffy-looking

Scruffy-looking Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2002
    I do not think that she has acted badly in the PT, or that her character is uninteresting; if you think so, fine. In the fireplace scene, she is acting conflicted--she wants a relationship with Anakin, but her head is telling her why it can't work. She struggles with this dilemma, and her acting shows this. I certainly wouldn't call it unemotional.

And I like her reaction to his confession; it's one of speechless shock and uncertainty, perfectly understandable under the circumstances. What would you have do, cry out "Oh Ani! Why? Why!" ;)

Similarly, she is acting in character when she confesses her love by not going into histrionics. The fact that she thinks she's about to die (granted, we know she won't :)) is reflected in her pained, fearful tone of voice when she says that line. If anything, I think she rescues GL in that scene; reading it in the novel, the complete lines of that scene ("My love for you is a puzzle, Ani, for which I have no answers. I can't control it, and now I don't care. I truly, deeply love you...") did not read well.

Still a matter of opinion. You haven't convinced me, and I doubt I've convinced you! ;)

-----

EDIT: Ack! Sophita what have you done with your icon?!? :eek:

23. Red-Talon

Jul 12, 2002
    - During the fireplace scene I really don't see any struggle in her face, or in her voice. Actually she sounds kinda bored to me.

- Her reaction to the confession did seem much like she was shocked, possibly speechless, but speechless because she was tired. She sounded more groggy and tired than anything else imo. Her face is glazed over.

- I will agree, the love confession scene wasn't written very well (when it comes to writing love scenes, Lucas isn't any Shakespeare as we've seen from AOTC), but she still sounded so dang bored! Like she just wanted to finish up and get home, the expression was lacking.

For me, Padme is one of the few dull points in AOTC.

24. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Scruffy,

Indeed it IS a matter of opinion. IMO, Padme was a strong, if somewhat naive character, in TPM. Padme is a weaker, more "girly" character in AOTC. Hard to imagine that she is actually 10 years older. I almost feel that she had been frozen in carbonite! She has her FULL share of blame in AOTC for helping Anakin down the dark path. She could have prevented it.

"Tell me what I must do. I will do whatever you say." Anakin to Padme.

Back to acting: again, a matter of different POVs. I keep hearing of "more formal age", "different times", etc. Why are we then not discussing EVERYONE's bad, "formal" acting in AOTC? Is Padme the only FORMAL person in that scene with Palpatine? Does Dorme go into soap-opera style histrionics when she says "Goodbye"? Is anyone else coy and flirtish in the Geonosis arena amidst blaster shots, flasing lightsabers and dying Jedi? Who else starts briskly jogging after a tumble from the airship? And yes, in Hayden's confession scene, she definitely looks like she's just woken up from a Sunday afternoon nap and should put on some water for tea.

25. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    The character of Amidala is quite broad; she is a politician/diplomat, a warrior/leader, and a woman falling in love & showing compassion and empathy. All these roles are very different from each other, and I think Ms. Portman does a fine job in fulfilling them.

I totally agree, Scruffy-looking! Here are my favorite Padme/Natalie moments:

As a politician/diplomat - I loved her in the Senate scene in TPM. She had a very regal and commanding presence. My favorite bit was the sideways look she gives the Malastare delegates when they interrupt her. It really showed Ami's frustration with the corruption in the Senate. And, of course, I love how she didn't back down. She did the only thing she could do by calling for Valorum's removal, but her eyes reflected what a tough decision that was for her.

As a warrior/leader - As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Nat really impressed me in her action scenes in AOTC. Whacking that Nexu with the chain, picking up that blaster and then picking off battle droids one by one...she certainly has a lot of fight in her!

As a woman falling in love - I liked both Hayden and Nat in the fruit levitation scene. My favorite part was when the camera lingers on her face to capture her reaction to Anakin's fruit-floating trick. She looks completely enchanted and mesmerized by him. Truly, the look of a lady in love. It's clear he had her under his spell.

Showing compassion & empathy - I liked the part in the confession scene where Anakin just plops down and starts to cry. Padme overcomes her stunned silence and a moment of indecision, and just sits down next to him, stroking his hair, offering comfort. It reminded me of how Leia comforted Luke after Obi-Wan died.

There are many other favorite moments I have, but I'm short on time. So all I can say for now is Padme rules!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.