main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Selective Services

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Imrahil, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imrahil

Imrahil Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2000
    Yep, you know you love it: the draft. Seeing as how I turn 18 in an hour, this subject interests me to no end. I checked the first couple pages and did the search thing, but if there is already a topic on this, please direct me there.

I'll start the debate with my brief opinion, I'll go more in depth if there is interest:
    I feel that the draft is an idea whose time has passed and should be abolished. We no longer need a citizen army, we have a profesional one that is capable of (correct me if I'm wrong) one and a half major wars at the same time.

There you have, come discuss your support (or lack of) for the draft and it's role in history and modern times.

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I am against the draft. I don't think we should force unwilling people to join the army. It's barbaric, IMO, and not neccesary when we have this many people who are willing and eager to join the army.

3. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    I thought they already did away with the draft. No? I guess I missread or misheard someone somewhere. But I agree, I don't think we need or should have a draft.

4. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    If our professional military couldn't handle the situation(fighting with China) the draft would be necessary. I support it, but only it being used in extreme circumstances.

I also support 2 years of service to the military.

5. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Technically, Selective Services isn't the draft. It's only there so that if the need arises for there to be a draft, everyone is all registered and ready to go. We don't have a draft right now and probably will only have one if the need arises.

6. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    Well the draft itself is used only in wartimes. But men aged 18 to 25 must still register for it or fear losing certain benefits, such as: student financial aid, government employment, job training, and U.S. citizenship for male immigrants and face up to $250,000 in fines and 5 years in prison.

That was taken straight from the niffty post card they sent me.

7. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I also support 2 years of service to the military.

Bad idea. Some people simply are NOT suited for the military. Forcing them would be a big mistake.

8. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Then send them into the Peace Core.

9. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    If you ask me, that's still asking them to take an unfair risk. Not to mention, what about those people who are terribly unfit.

10. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    Aren't your odds of being drafted much lower if you're in college? I remember my dad talking about is "low lottery numbers", reffering to the fact that the chances of him being drafted were almost zero. That was back in the late 60's. What I'm trying to say is that if there were a draft on right now, and you're 18-25, you wouldn't neccessarily be drafted.

What did Clinton do to "dodge" the draft. I've heard that mentioned before.

11. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Those that are terribly unfit for the military don't get drafted. That's why they have medical and psychological tests before they let you enlist.

12. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Terribly unfit for service? Psychologically?

Then it'll be a good experience for them.

13. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    Like me for one. There are just some people who are not fit for service and should not be forced against there will. Call me a coward and flame me if you must, but if there is a draft in the next 7 years and I was called up, I would seriously think about not going.

14. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Why? Because you're scared of doing something to benefit alot of people, along with yourself?

15. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    Not to mention, what about those people who are terribly unfit.

Those that are terribly unfit for the military don't get drafted. That's why they have medical and psychological tests before they let you enlist.

Even if you managed to get drafted you might just end up having some desk job.

16. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I can't see women being forced to join the army anytime soon, but I also know I would be unfit for service, due to a combination of physical (I'm healthy enough, but I'm basically a weakling) and psychological problems.

Edit: And I don't think the government has the right to require someone to do something that might potentially risk their life.

17. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    There are many legitimate ways for someone to not make the draft. If they go to college, are married, have kids, those greatly reduce your chances. If you are less than perfect, they won't take you.

18. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Being in the military isn't all shooting people and flying carts of missiles. There's plenty of alternatives.

19. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    Why? Because you're scared of doing something to benefit alot of people, along with yourself?

No, because I am just not the type of person that could take orders and put my life in danger. It's just not me. But I do appreciate the hard work of those men and women that choose to serve. Their sacrifice keeps this country free and allows me the freedom to choose what I do with my life.

20. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Like I said, you're not always putting your life in danger-- there are alternatives.

21. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    As long as you're working in a millitary facility, even in a civlian job, there are risks.

22. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    Right. But I don't know even then if I'd be willing to give up my personal freedom to serve a cause I may or may not beleive in.

But of course, like it's been said, the odds of being chosen are pretty small and it probably won't happen soon, so I won't have to be faced with that decision.

Let me interject this: Do you beleive the current war on terrorism and the U.S. plans (if we have any) for Iraq could lead to the draft being called?

23. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Right. But I don't know even then if I'd be willing to give up my personal freedom to serve a cause I may or may not beleive in.

Ah, and this is the real issue at hand. I don't know if I could do that either, which is where I contradict myself on the 2 years of service.

War on Terrorism? I don't think there'll be a draft.

BTW: I DO NOT support the WoT.

24. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    Do you beleive the current war on terrorism and the U.S. plans (if we have any) for Iraq could lead to the draft being called?

No, I doubt it.

25. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001

The old lie: Dulce Et Decorum Est, Pro Patria Mori
    ?Wilfred Owen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.