main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Selective Services

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Imrahil, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    In todays battlefield (terrorists, WOMD) there's a good chance that it's safer to be in the army than in LA or NYC.

2. Lieutenant Tschel

Lieutenant Tschel Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 1999
    Very true. It seems entirely possible that you'd have just a high a chance of dying as a civilian as you would as a soldier/sailor/marine.

Personally, I'd much rather be in a position where I could potentially do more than just gawk as a bomb fell on me or whatnot.

'Course I'd never get drafted because of medical conditions.

3. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    My thoughts exactly.

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I wouldn't mind serving my country. I wouldn't really volunteer unless another 9-11 type situation occurs, but if you can get past the training you can do anything.

5. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I refuse to get drafted. The first thing I would do was get into a situation where I they wouldn't want me. Secondly, I would try to become a officer. The last thing I would do to avoid it is to join the Coast Guard, Navy, or Airforce. Running around everywhere is for losers. :p (No offence to those that run around)

6. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I'm not American, so it doesn't really apply to me (National Service in Australia was abolished in 1972), I do support the idea of some form of national service. I strenuously object to the concept of drafting citizens into an army, running them through basic training and dumping them into front-line combat units in a warzone. However, I fully support the idea of using draftees on home soil to enable trained soldiers to fight.

In the modern armed forces of today, it takes between 3 and 7 personnel to allow one man on to the front line. That means for every division of roughly 12000 combat soldiers, there are thousands more doing tasks that, while vital to the support of said combat division, could be done as effectively by civilians.

In short, how many people here would object to the draft if it meant never going near a foreign combat zone unless you volunteered?

7. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I certainly would have no objections to that.

8. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I'm glad that in the event of a draft,I wouldn't be able to go,becuase I'm overweight and have psychological problems. My brother wouldn't be able to go either,becuase he has bad knees. My dad got out of going to Vietnam becuase of high blood pressure. I guess nobody in my family will be able to fight for freedom and all that jazz anytime soon.

9. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Yes, but if you were fit for service, would you support 2 years of service?

I cannot join the military because of psychological probelms, but if I were called upon to do it, I would do so willingly.

10. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    I wouldn't object to the idea proposed by General Cargin. It sounds like a good idea.

11. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The only thing I hate about Selective Services, is that it's sexist. As it stands, only Males have to register with Selective Services. If we want total equality between the sexes, we need tohave women register.

BTW, I support the Draft wholeheartedly in times of crisis. If you don't want to defend your country (link some ex-presidents), you can run to Canada. But if you do, you'd best stay there.

12. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I agree Janson. I wouldn't mind having to register for the draft.

13. Imrahil

Imrahil Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2000
    BTW, I support the Draft wholeheartedly in times of crisis. If you don't want to defend your country (link some ex-presidents),

Or you could get your daddy to get you a National Gaurd post and defend Texas from the Viet Cong.

you can run to Canada. But if you do, you'd best stay there.

This is like those "love it or leave it" comments. The United States is a free country and I should have the choice wether I want to love it or die to defend it.

14. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I would certainly mind having to register for the draft.

15. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    But in a time of crisis don't you think the country has a right to ask its members to fight for it? I mean, who else is going to?

Rebecca, are you saying that you wouldn't want to register because you're a female or that you wouldn't want to register because you don't like the idea of the draft altogether?

16. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm trying as hard as I can to keep my posts civil . . . which means I'm not gonna type alot of what I'm thinking. But if you enjoy the rights that you have in this nation, wouldn't you want to keep them?

17. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    No, they do not have that right. There are many people that would volunteer to serve, I think those would be better soldiers then someone forced to fight.

But if you enjoy the rights that you have in this nation, wouldn't you want to keep them?

Of course, but I wouldn't die for them.

18. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    What if the number of people weren't enough??

That is why we have the draft. Its to assure that we won't be overwhelmed.

19. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Rebecca, are you saying that you wouldn't want to register because you're a female or that you wouldn't want to register because you don't like the idea of the draft altogether?

A combination of both, I suppose.

20. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes Imrahil, but there is a point when the voluntary troops run out. In a perfect system people would love their country so much that they would all volunteer in the time of a crisis. But we obviously don't live in a perfect society.

21. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    If the threat was that great, I don't think it would matter how many soldiers we have. If our current military can't handle something, I don't know who a mob of civilians could help much.

22. gwaernardel

Nov 5, 2001
    But that's the thing. They wouldn't be civilians any more. That's why we have the draft, so that we can train extra people in case they're needed. And why is it that you wouldn't die for your beliefs?

Rebecca, why would you believe that females shouldn't have to register for the draft?

23. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Are you kidding??

China outnumbers our military something like 10 to 1.

24. Imrahil

Oct 22, 2000
    Then we had best pursue a diplomatic strategy that prevents a war between us, don't you think.

25. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Of course, but diplomacy doesn't always work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.