main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sell something to me

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 4, 2012.

1. vadimk

vadimk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2009
    The book introduces Dathomir and its culture, which is a very intriguing and well thought out piece of the universe. Also introduces new interesting characters which have regular appearances in later EU. Despite the sometimes cheesy dialogue and plot twists, this is one of those books which really expands the EU (and not narrows it, which is often a trend lately), and I'm grateful for that. And a really fun adventure in the timeframe where most stories were dealing with yet another superweapon.

cthugha likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I still struggle to 'hear' that in my head... and, y'know, it have any rhythm at all. The fact that both Han and Leia get it stuck in their head at different points makes it more confusing.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I hear it like this.

Barriss_Coffee and instantdeath like this.
  4. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    CoPL also introduces Hapes, which was pretty cool! Plus...it makes Solo Command all that sweeter!

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Though I "liked" your post, I'm actually feeling a certain burning hatred towards you right now. I'm gonna go strangle a kitten or something...

And though I've never played Star Wars Kinect, I'm staying the hell away now. The autotune, man :mad:

Barriss_Coffee and Zeta1127 like this.
  6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I just died a little inside.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So guys and gals, try and sell me the TOR tie in novels, as I have not picked up any of them. Are they worth it? :)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    One thing, and I don't think it gives much away....

Lord Vader and the Emperor cuddle.

If you're not running to your comic shop right now or downloading from Dark Horse Digital, there's something seriously wrong with you.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm not sure I can sell them to you, but I will tell you what each offers, and you can decide from there.

Fatal Alliance- Just a fun adventure novel. A little strange in places, but the main appeal is that it's just a Star Wars adventure told with the eight members of the cast representing classes from the game. Satele Shan is in action a bit too, which is nice. I wouldn't say it's a high priority purchase, but it's nice light fun that we don't see often these days.

Deceived- The best of the TOR novels, even if it does have its share of problems. Want to see Malgus be a badass? Buy this book, but be warned it's not all about him.

Revan- Now this one... for me personally, it wasn't bad the first time you read it, but if you reread it you really start to notice its various flaws, and wish that more time had been taken with some areas (for me, the biggest one was the interaction between Revan and the Exile; not nearly enough content there). Get it if you want to know what happens to Revan. If you don't really care one way or the other, stay away, as the entire appeal of this book is reading about characters you've played as.

10. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Fatal Alliance was a very pleasant surprise -- for someone who likes it when "hard" science fiction concepts get introduced to Star Wars without spoiling the space opera fun. Plenty of surprising twists and a pretty atmospheric showdown, lots of fun action scenes in between -- what more can you ask for?

Random Comments likes this.
  11. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I know it gets a lot of bad press, but I really enjoyed Fatal Allance too. Could easily have been set in any other era, which was one of its core appeals to me, as it was just a fun adventure, with very little specifically to do with TOR's story itself.

It always kind of reminded me of Shadows of Mindor, in how it was essentially a side quest off the beaten track, with its own heroes and villains, even if they fit into the basic TOR archetypes to conform with the setting.

Random Comments likes this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Alrighty, I be sold. The thread had it's first success story.

That, and the last issue looks awesomesauce.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Both off-topic and on:

I keep hearing about this Doctor Who business. Sell it to me in such a way that I don't need to go back and watch 37 seasons of material to feel like I'm on top of it.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've actually been considering seeing what Dr. Who is all about as well... problem is, I'm not sure I'd be able to jump on it without feeling compelled to watch it from the beginning, and I definitely don't have time for that at the moment.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The beginning of the new incarnation, or the beginning beginning?

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Watch The Eleventh Hour.

That is all.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    But that's only a couple seasons ago - it seems from Wikipedia that the best jumping-on point for the "modern" run of DW would be 2005. I have no burning need to watch 7 or 8 seasons if I don't need to, but how important are those last several years' worth of plot? To put it in SW terms, I'm wary of feeling like I've picked up the story circa HttE without having seen the OT.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    The Eleventh Hour is the best starting point.

That is all.

19. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Eleventh Hour, then go back and start at Rose (pilot of the 2005 series) later on. Just like The Loyal Imperial said.

You really won't miss plot development, and if you catch up with series 5&6, you can watch series 7 as it goes on right now.

The older series was alright (some will say it was amazing, some say it was awful), but the new series is far better. ;) You really don't need to watch all 33 series. You can just stick with NuWho.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You mean watch just Eleventh Hour, then go back, or watch EH through now?

21. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Watch the Eleventh Hour, then proceed up until the current point. Then go back, and do the same for the previous run. Then the one before that, and so forth.

22. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Backwards through each series? :confused: That seems a bit confusing...

I recommend Eleventh Hour (Series 5) to the end of series 6 and then go to the 2 episodes of series 7 that have aired.

Then go back start at Rose (the 2005 pilot) through to the end of series 4.

EDIT: If you wish, watch just series 5 and 6, and then finish series 7. Then you can watch the series 1-4 of the 2005 version in between breaks.

23. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Like this:

Series 5, 6, 7. Then 2, 3, 4. Then 1.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    One of the many great things about the EGTW is that you learn that Han got played in COPL.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...you guys are supposed to be selling me, not making me more confused. :p