main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sell something to me

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 4, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Imagine if someone was debating whether to get into Star Wars, and the advice that ensued was all about whether to go OT-PT-EU, PT-OT-EU, hard-line chronological, publication chronological, TCW continuity vs. CW EU continuity, and so on, and nary a word was said about the plot, context or quality of any of those.

That = this conversation. :p

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I like how everyone ignores my recommendation

Philistine's [​IMG]

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll bite. Tell me more.

And for Doctor Who, maybe I'll start from the beginning of what's available on netflix instant sometime :p

4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    OK!

From Wikipedia, the basis of every single series of the programme:

The programme depicts the adventures of a Time Lord—atime travelling, humanoid alien with two hearts known as the Doctor. He explores the universe in his 'TARDIS', (Time and Relative Dimension in Space) a sentient, telepathic time-and-space-travel machine that flies through the time vortex. Its exterior appears as a blue British police box, a common sight in Britain in 1963, when the series first aired. Along with a succession of companions, the Doctor faces a variety of foes while working to save civilisations, help ordinary people, and right wrongs.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well initially it starts off intentionally as a generic VN with silly harem shenanigans in Extra but slowly builds to immense mood whiplash that will tear your heart out and make you feel complete despair. It also has alien invasions, Giant Robots and alternate realities where the moon is colonized by the 1950's

6. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That sounds interesting [face_batting]

7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That's pretty much the same as Luke saying "The chronology of the Clone Wars is confusing" in the Sith book... [face_laugh]

Ulicus likes this.
  9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Okay, well, I think Series 1 is good, but it's also more saturated in pop-culture, naff and fart-jokes than later series, so I prefer to recommend Series 5 to newcomers... which is intended as a "jumping in point".

If you go back to Series 1 having already seen Series 5, 6 and whatever's aired of 7, you'll be more likely to power through the less-than-stellar bits of the RTD era and enjoy the good stuff. And as critical as I can be, there is a lot of good stuff.

And, since you asked about plots...

RUSSELL T. DAVIES ERA (OVERARCHING PLOT = "SURVIVORS GUILT AND LONELINESS")

Series 1 Plot -- The sole survivor -- or is he? -- of THE LAST GREAT TIME WAR meets the latest in a long line of young women and takes her off on excellent adventures around the universe, occasionally dropping back in on her family and boyfriend in London. All the while, he ponders the strange message that seems to follow them everywhere they go: "Bad Wolf".

Series 2 Plot -- Having foiled the Christmas Invasion, quoted the Lion King and ruined Britain's golden age, the duo continue their bogus journey... but how long can anything last? And what, exactly, is "Torchwood"?

Series 3 Plot -- Devastated, the Doctor goes on the rebound... but He Is Not Alone, and who is this "Harold Saxon" working against him behind the scenes?

Series 4 Plot -- A threat to the entire multiverse simmers in the background while the Doctor and the best friend he's had since the Time War experience a series of unforgettable events. ( :_| )

Specials Plot -- The Doctor grows progressively crazier and out of character in the face of his impending "death" over the course of several standalone episodes.

And everything changes, and nothing is truly lost.

STEVEN MOFFAT ERA (OVERARCHING PLOT = "I'LL EXPLAIN LATER")

Series 5 Plot -- After picking up another young woman, this time a scottish redhead, the Doctor realises there are "cracks" in space and time consuming events and people from all points in history. What caused them? And what does it mean when the Pandorica opens!?

Series 6 Plot -- In his future, the Doctor is brutally killed by an impossible astronaut. In his past, it's even more complicated.

Series 7 Plot -- "Doctor Who?"

10. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    *waves hand* You will buy whatever you want me to sell you....

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... of course, there's also the TV series with 7 Doctors (but no more than 5... I mean, 4 Doctors at the same time), a TV movie that doesn't exist, and an official continuation of the 7th and 8th Doctors in novel form that is no longer official, and a spinoff involving a novel character that couldn't use the Doctor or the Daleks, and yet somehow had a novel involving both. Oh, and a bunch of audio novels and comic strips.

There's also an evil Doctor that is between 12 and 13, and that the 1st Doctor was apparently not the 1st Doctor, and that he had a granddaughter. All of which may or may not be true.

Believe me, the Clone Wars has nothing on Doctor Who.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The thing is, Amy, everyone's memory is a mess. Life is a mess. Everyone's got memories of a holiday they've never been on, or a party they never went to, or met someone for the first time and felt like they've known them all their lives. Time is being rewritten all around us, every day. People think their memories are bad, but their memories are fine. The past is really like that. - The Doctor

13. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    You know when people keep telling you to watch something, and you wonder why, and then you eventually see it and wonder why you never watched it before now?

This is one of those times.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I felt like that with Community. Didn't really get the hype, then finally decided to see what it was like thanks to a Best Buy gift card. One of the best shows ever.

RC-1991 likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Okay, to get this back to Star Wars and spare Sinre further agony of seeing his thread brutally derailed by the superior franchise that is Who...

FATE OF THE JEDI

Sell it to me. Or, rather, explain why I should keep reading. I gave up around... uh I can't remember. About half way through.

Good luck.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It spawned LTotS. Vestara is usually interesting. The guy running the government keeps a rodent in his pocket and everyone acts like it's normal. It gave us a lot of interesting new alien Jedi, a couple of whom actually survive.

Random Comments, RC-1991 and Esg like this.
  18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Abeloth is also kind of cool

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Sorry I could not come up with a single reason for anyone to keep reading FOTJ other than the Boba Fett cameo in the last book was kind of interesting, you know where he is back to "single dangerous man on the hunt" and not godfather of a whole culture....

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

There's a uh... cool villain... like someone said before.
    And um... characters actually begin to realize that CoS Daala is something worthy of ridicule.
    And....
    ...and Luke and Ben initially go out to find the source of Jacen's downfall. They have some good father-son bonding moments early in the series.

ButnoneofthesideplotsgoanywhereandDaala'shavingafurryrelationshipwithaBothanandalltheoldJediweusedtoknow,respect,andlovesincethe90'sareallruinedforthesakeoftheplotandtheyputstupidTCWreferencesintothelastbookthatdon'tfitandwhenyoureadthefirstbookintheseriesitspremisedoesn'trelatemuchatalltotheninthbookbecauseitwasobvioustheauthorsdecidedtochangetheunderlyingmessageofthestoryaroundliketheydideveryotherbookintheLOTFseriesandnobodyreasonslikenormalrationalhumanbeingsandthere'saTONofwastedspacewherenothingactuallygetsdoneAND.....

hey, somebody tell me what the underlying purpose of this series was again? I mean, even KJA's stories had a purpose. Stories set out with a series of problems that need to be resolved and not only does the whole plot around center around them, the author(s) wrap them up by the end of the story with usually some sort of internal moral message.

And see if you can do it without giving me plots like "Luke was exiled...", because that was settled partways through the series.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But neither Uli or I have to read FOTJ to enjoy the Lost Tribe stories by JJM do we?

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Do you enjoy watching two trains speeding toward a head-on collision with each other?

If so, this is the series for you.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    "Sell something to me" answer: yes, absolutely.

Real answer: nah.

Zeta1127 and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_thinking] How many carriages are we talking about, here?

EDIT: The way alerts work on the new old boards is terrible, by the way.

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Nine carriages each.