main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sell something to me

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 4, 2012.

1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Man, I wish I cared about Shan...

But I don't...

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Deena was so bland... I read the comics only a few months ago, and though I loved them for the most part, I barely remember her.

Oh! Just thought of something. For those who enjoy a challenge. Sell me Ruins of Dantooine.

No. Seriously. Anything at all. Is it funny in any way? Will it reveal something, anything about the universe worth knowing?

It's as of now the only Star Wars book I'm considering skipping on my build up to the NJO. Tell me why I shouldn't. Of course, my completionist self will most likely not allow that in the end, but it's still a thought I'm entertaining.

If nothing else, I want to come away with an understanding of why Ruins of Dantooine is so god awful :D

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think we're drifting from the original idea of this thread. It's supposed to be for things other people seem to like that don't interest you.

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Sure, but in my case, everything in Star Wars interests me, since I'd like to read it all before moving into the NJO and Legacy era. Ruins of Dantooine is the anomaly. I probably will read it, at some point; I'm really just curious what I'm in for, what gives it its infamy (well, infamy among Star Wars fans, I suppose, and even then that's using the word loosely.

And who knows, I've been having that literary masochistic itch lately. Haven't read anything god awful since Robert Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress close to a year ago (I'll confess, I didn't finish it; my time has some value :p). Highly recommended for those who enjoy bad writing, massive infodumps, and enough misogyny to fill two 18-wheelers. Might get it out of the way if someone convinces me.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ruins of Dantooine is the gas station sandwich of Star Wars literature. There you go.

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    SMDH

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll have to try a gas station sandwich sometime, if only to truly understand Ruins of Dantooine's true place in the Star Wars galaxy.

8. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    So...I already tried to sell it, but could someone sell me Denning's Legacy and Fate books? Most of my arguments revolve around "Well, Allston's books were awesome, and I could deal with Traviss and Golden," but I actually skipped three of the six Denning books.

So...anyone?

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Probably won't appeal to you if you lack that voice insider your head that won't leave you alone until you finish something: you've already read over 2/3 of the series. Might as well finish them, no?

10. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    No. Right now, the voice in my head says "I read the first three pages of Inferno and wanted to make the book its own inferno." I didn't mind Invincible, but Apocalypse made me quite upset and bored at the same time.

Plus, I'm clearly not a completist. :) I will stay up late reading a book that hooks me in, but a book that I couldn't care less about or makes me actively angry I'll take months to finish. Given my reaction to Denning's other works, I don't see what Inferno, Abyss, and Vortex have to offer...but was curious to know if anyone had reasons for me.

And sadly, "Mirax punches out a Yaka" isn't one of them. That is pure ridiculous lazy writing.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I've read some very bad books before, but interesting to imagine an author who has turned out some decent stuff before (Tatooine Ghost, even if I had large problems with it, and Star by Star from heresay) turning out something that incites feelings of violence in the first three pages :eek:

But I've heard much, much worse things about LOTF, so I guess I'm not surprised.

12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He exaggerates.

13. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Er...no, I don't. Note that I didn't say anything about the book itself, but about my reaction.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Ruins of Dantooine was a fairly accurate take on the game, but from the point of view of a lost player. There are some random quests involving animal warrens, then a courier quest or two. Of course the story was written when the classes were varied and interesting, when things like animal trainer were legitimate professions, and before Jedi started showing up and taking over everything. Before the NGE and then the revamp. So it does have a bit of nostalga factor to it for those of us who played Galaxies in the good old days.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I played Galaxies very, very briefly in the good ol' days. Being a kid, I was pissed at the lack of Jedi :D

A Tool likes this.
  16. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Someone sell me Scourge; I have no interest in it whatsoever....

17. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Scourge? It's a story about the fringe element and Hutt society, involving Jedi who are neither Big 3 or related to them, nor magic super-paladins with I-win plot buttons, but instead normal people who use the Force to supplement their talents. The conflict is reasonable, not "the galaxy is doomed" level, but still interesting. Oh, and Corporate Sector.
    Kind of like the exact opposite of LotF or FotJ.

18. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Hee. But A Tool likes Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi :)

A Tool likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Scourge is also unique in that it actually explores the moral implications that come with using a mind trick on someone. The main Jedi, Mander, is really against the practice for the most part, unless it's really necessary.

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    That was a good part!

21. A Tool

A Tool Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    How would it compare to Crosscurrent? I loved Crosscurrent! :D

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all Jedi, theoretically at least, supposed to be against using the mind trick? I know in one comic, Obi-Wan gives Qui-Gon a lot of flak for using it so casually, which is absolutely how I feel it should be. Nice that it's actually addressed.

23. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    ...which he then disregards as soon as he starts teaching Luke...

24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The Holocron in "I Jedi" cautioned against overly casual use of 'Alter Mind'!

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    There's always been lip service against it, but Scourge is the first time it's really dwelled on, and/or affects a plot.

Also: more than one Hutt personality type!