main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sell your fansite???

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by sponge06, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sponge06

sponge06 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2006
    I am looking to own a fan site, but i have no technical knowledge on how to build one. So with that in mind I would like to purchase an existing site.

If anyone has a web site they would consider selling, no matter how big or small then please PM me and I will take a look.

I have a limited budget, so first come first serve.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    This is one of the weirdest requests I've ever seen.

Exactly how "limited" is your budget? How do you plan on updating a site if you don't have any technical knowledge?

3. sponge06

sponge06 Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2006
    My budget is around $15,000 max. I don't plan to use the site to make a living (I am not even sure if that is possible?) but I may add a blog to the site and do daily updates on all things Star Wars.

Even with my skills I could run a blog ;)

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    $15,000 is your MAXIMUM?!?! Dude, most people buy Star Wars Fan Sites for less than $150 and many are even free.

You could buy 100 sites with your budget.

5. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yes, but they'd be 100 crappy sites that are virtually identical to thousands of other sites.

I don't know how much I'd sell my site for (or if I even would), but it definitely would be much greater than $150. Then again, I suppose I'm a bit older or have a nicer real life job than a lot of people who make fan sites, so it takes more to impress me.

6. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm with YodaJeff on this one. You'll be looking at spending at least 10k to get a middle tier established SW fan site, then you'll have to start paying for the upkeep. Without the knowlege of how to maintain the site's business side, you'll probably end up running it into the ground or continually paying more and more for it.

After considering all of that, you have to look at how the site is run and if you are wanting to go and make sweeping changes. If you do, will the site survive that or do you keep the status quo and let the current staff continue to do their jobs?

7. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Personally, spending ten thousand dollars to buy a site is rediculous and I would reccomend that you use said money to buy something that will actually mean something to your life in the long run. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's my honest opinion.

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    For a site like TFN I could see how that amount of money would be warranted. Interesting to see if anyone takes him up on another one though.

Welcome to the forum sponge - good luck with your search!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.