Semaj's Fan Film article in Videomaker

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by EagleIFilms, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I got the Auguest issue of Videomaker today, and I excitedly sat down to read James DeRuvo (Semaj Overed)'s article on Fan Films.

It's fairly well written, and is good publicity for what we do here.

However, I found a TON of errors in the text, which I feel compelled to point out.

I'l list them here, in order:

You say that TROOPS takes place on 'Tatoonine'. The planet is 'Tatooine', without an 'n'.

Justin Dix's film is called 'Bounty Trail', NOT 'Bounty Hunter', which is the name of a LucasArts game currently being worked on.

You say that 'Bounty Hunter' stars 'Bobba Fett'. His name is 'Boba Fett'.

Justin Dix is one of R2's handlers, which I don't think is an ILM job. I might be wrong, but I don't think so. And I'm pretty much POSITIVE that he wasn't hired because of Bounty Trail's special effects, which I don't think he even worked on.

Star Wars: Episode II has the title 'Attack of the Clones', not 'The Attack of the Clones'.

Duality is the story of two Sith apprentices who fight each other, NOT a Sith and a Jedi Master.

You don't mention 3DS MAX in your listing of 3D software, which seems to be the biggest program used on this board.

Blender is freeware, not shareware, as you state.

You don't mention any of the programs used to make lightsabers, even though you mention lightsabers right after mentioning the 3D programs.

I don't mean to nit-pick, Semaj, and I think you're a great guy, I just don't understand why all these errors are in your article.

I'm considering sending this post in to Videomaker so they can print a correction.

¤Eagle
  2. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Now you can go ahead and spell his username correctly, Mr. Nitpick. :p
  3. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    At least I can edit my posts...his article got printed in a major magazine with a large subscription.
  4. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Touché

EDIT: And touché back
  5. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Can you post scans of the article?
  6. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't have a scanner, unfortunetly, but I can assure you that everything I said is true, I double- and triple-checked everything.
  7. Animaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone else have a scanner? I'd really like to read this article.
  8. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    Er, you could, like, go buy the magazine....

I'm interested, I'm going to go pick it up this afternoon. I'll try to scan it as well. Although it's probably illegal.

-tm
  9. Douz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Im scanning the article now....I'll drop Max a PM when I have it ready to go.
  10. AlanSmitheeIII Force Ghost

star 4
    A lot of those errors are probably printer typos.
  11. Douz Jedi Knight

star 3
    Max...they are in your PM....I did the scans fairly large so that the print would be easy to read...hope it helps
  12. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
  13. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    can i see it also?
  14. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    We'll post a news item soon.
  15. Douz Jedi Knight

star 3
  16. Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I noticed the errors in also but overall I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the exposure James.

17. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    That's a neat article for shining further light onto fanfilms and TFN. Nice one James. :)

Good luck to anyone trying to download Dark Skies from www.darkskies.com though :p
  18. Krapitino Jedi Master

star 4
    What is that?!?! Captain Kirk waving a lightsaber with a hilt shaped like an XL-1S?

Cool, except for the Capt. Kirk thing....
  19. Semaj Ovured Force Ghost

star 4
    Believe me, Eagle, I was as horrorfied with these TYPOs as you were (especially w/ that guy in the NextGen costume and cape). And can you imagine how I felt knowing that out of all the fan films I listed in the links section, the editors chose ROGUE to OMIT? What up w/ that?

The shareware reference for Blender is on me, I admit.

Thanks for the notes, and thanks for everyone's kind comments.

Anyone who liked the article is welcome to head on over to VIDEOMAKER READER RATINGS and let them know. Article #8947

ps - last time I checked, Krapitino, Captain Kirk never wore a next generation uniform, much less a cape! ;)
  20. Semaj Ovured Force Ghost

star 4
    In a shameless attempt to keep this thread alive ... BUMP!
  21. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Semaj...you're saying you had nothing to do with the guy in the TNG suit?

And, OMG...WHY DIDN'T THEY GET SOMEONE WHO KNEW WTF THEY WERE DOING TO MAKE THAT LIGHTSABER??

I venture to say that ANYONE on this board could make a lightsaber 10 times better than the ones attached to your article.
  22. Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 4
    "Dave Macomber tells an interesting story of receiving a call from a representative at ILM asking him, among other things, how he learned to create their light sabers."

...um, nobody from ILM ever called me to ask about how I made lightsabers... ?[face_plain]

I was contacted by the folks at Pinncle to write a Commotion tutorial (which I thought was funny, 'cause they've got Scott-freakin'-Squires... I guess he was too busy. In the end, I was too -- I never got around to it), and I've co-authored the CTK with Alex Lindsay (who's formerly of ILM) which illustrates how to make lightsabers...

In fact, I've only gotten email from ILM guys -- no phone calls at all, unless you count Alex...

This kind of concerns me -- I would hate for anyone up there to see the article and think I was boasting about something that didn't happen. [face_plain]
  23. Semaj Ovured Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess I misunderstood the conversation we had ... or remembered it wrong. Anyway, I shall contact Videomaker and ask them to correct it for the online version.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.