main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Semaj's Fan Film article in Videomaker

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by EagleIFilms, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Well, I got the Auguest issue of Videomaker today, and I excitedly sat down to read James DeRuvo (Semaj Overed)'s article on Fan Films.

It's fairly well written, and is good publicity for what we do here.

However, I found a TON of errors in the text, which I feel compelled to point out.

I'l list them here, in order:

You say that TROOPS takes place on 'Tatoonine'. The planet is 'Tatooine', without an 'n'.

Justin Dix's film is called 'Bounty Trail', NOT 'Bounty Hunter', which is the name of a LucasArts game currently being worked on.

You say that 'Bounty Hunter' stars 'Bobba Fett'. His name is 'Boba Fett'.

Justin Dix is one of R2's handlers, which I don't think is an ILM job. I might be wrong, but I don't think so. And I'm pretty much POSITIVE that he wasn't hired because of Bounty Trail's special effects, which I don't think he even worked on.

Star Wars: Episode II has the title 'Attack of the Clones', not 'The Attack of the Clones'.

Duality is the story of two Sith apprentices who fight each other, NOT a Sith and a Jedi Master.

You don't mention 3DS MAX in your listing of 3D software, which seems to be the biggest program used on this board.

Blender is freeware, not shareware, as you state.

You don't mention any of the programs used to make lightsabers, even though you mention lightsabers right after mentioning the 3D programs.

I don't mean to nit-pick, Semaj, and I think you're a great guy, I just don't understand why all these errors are in your article.

I'm considering sending this post in to Videomaker so they can print a correction.

¤Eagle

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Now you can go ahead and spell his username correctly, Mr. Nitpick. :p

3. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    At least I can edit my posts...his article got printed in a major magazine with a large subscription.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Touché

EDIT: And touché back

5. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Can you post scans of the article?

6. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    I don't have a scanner, unfortunetly, but I can assure you that everything I said is true, I double- and triple-checked everything.

7. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    Does anyone else have a scanner? I'd really like to read this article.

8. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Er, you could, like, go buy the magazine....

I'm interested, I'm going to go pick it up this afternoon. I'll try to scan it as well. Although it's probably illegal.

-tm

9. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Im scanning the article now....I'll drop Max a PM when I have it ready to go.

10. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    A lot of those errors are probably printer typos.

11. Douz

Mar 15, 2000
    Max...they are in your PM....I did the scans fairly large so that the print would be easy to read...hope it helps

12. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    Thanks! :)

13. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    can i see it also?

14. MaxVeers

Apr 24, 2000
    We'll post a news item soon.

15. Douz

Mar 15, 2000
  16. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    I noticed the errors in also but overall I enjoyed it.

Thanks for the exposure James.

17. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    That's a neat article for shining further light onto fanfilms and TFN. Nice one James. :)

Good luck to anyone trying to download Dark Skies from www.darkskies.com though :p

18. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    What is that?!?! Captain Kirk waving a lightsaber with a hilt shaped like an XL-1S?

Cool, except for the Capt. Kirk thing....

19. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Believe me, Eagle, I was as horrorfied with these TYPOs as you were (especially w/ that guy in the NextGen costume and cape). And can you imagine how I felt knowing that out of all the fan films I listed in the links section, the editors chose ROGUE to OMIT? What up w/ that?

The shareware reference for Blender is on me, I admit.

Thanks for the notes, and thanks for everyone's kind comments.

Anyone who liked the article is welcome to head on over to VIDEOMAKER READER RATINGS and let them know. Article #8947

ps - last time I checked, Krapitino, Captain Kirk never wore a next generation uniform, much less a cape! ;)

20. Semaj Ovured

May 8, 2000
    In a shameless attempt to keep this thread alive ... BUMP!

21. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Semaj...you're saying you had nothing to do with the guy in the TNG suit?

And, OMG...WHY DIDN'T THEY GET SOMEONE WHO KNEW WTF THEY WERE DOING TO MAKE THAT LIGHTSABER??

I venture to say that ANYONE on this board could make a lightsaber 10 times better than the ones attached to your article.

22. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    "Dave Macomber tells an interesting story of receiving a call from a representative at ILM asking him, among other things, how he learned to create their light sabers."

...um, nobody from ILM ever called me to ask about how I made lightsabers... ?[face_plain]

I was contacted by the folks at Pinncle to write a Commotion tutorial (which I thought was funny, 'cause they've got Scott-freakin'-Squires... I guess he was too busy. In the end, I was too -- I never got around to it), and I've co-authored the CTK with Alex Lindsay (who's formerly of ILM) which illustrates how to make lightsabers...

In fact, I've only gotten email from ILM guys -- no phone calls at all, unless you count Alex...

This kind of concerns me -- I would hate for anyone up there to see the article and think I was boasting about something that didn't happen. [face_plain]

23. Semaj Ovured

May 8, 2000
    I guess I misunderstood the conversation we had ... or remembered it wrong. Anyway, I shall contact Videomaker and ask them to correct it for the online version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.