main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate building of the Empire, NR and TOTJ era

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Correct me if I'm wrong but i recall a few sources mentioning that the senate building used during the Empire and NR eras wasn't the senate building used during the PT era but rather was the older senate building seen in a proto-stage in TOTJ.

And as a clarification I'm looking specifically for references that say it was a different building than what was used during the Old Republic, not just sources obviously describing a building different than than the PT senate.

Older the better ;)

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I think you are right, the building was a different one during the NR era. I don´t know if the empire used the prequel one, but the NR didn´t for sure.

you might check THE NEW REBELLION for and such novels for senate descriptions. it was destroyed in there and rebuild afterwards.

3. Darth_Halcyon

Darth_Halcyon Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    In Agents of Chaos I, when Leia is addressing the Senate, she thinks to herself of how that chamber differed so greatly from the Imperial Senate's, mainly being the lack of floating platforms/booths of the individual senators. I'd assume from that description of the Imperial Senate and those we saw in the prequels that the same building was used in the PT and Imperial Senate, then either destroyed or dramatically altered for the New Republic-era.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    There is only one source that has the PT building being used during the NJO era and that's the,"New Jedi Order Sourcebook."

IT even has picture of Nom Alnor adressing the Senate in one of those pods.

5. Higginsis

Higginsis Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    First few lines in chapter 1 of DT: Onslaught leia comments on the old senate hall, saying how the new one was not as grand as the one in the empire.

Though if thats the same one that is in the PT, or it was changed after the old republic became the empire, i'm not sure.

6. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Descriptions from Traitor and TUF seem to indicate that the building that the Dhuryam was placed in was the senate building which was used both in the PT as well as around the fall of Coruscant. It is unlikely that the chaimber is exactly the same, given that most of the important buildings on Coruscant were destroyed or damaged during the Imperial Civil War and beforehand, and this building was also separate from the Imperial Palace.

Also, the New Republic also seems to have gone through several different chaimbers used as Senate buildings, or at least radically remodeled them. The chaimber in COPL is more of a throne-room type chaimber, while the building used in JAT is more reminiscent of the US Senate and House chaimbers. The building in TNR, connected to the Imperial Palace is different still, with platforms of various levels and heights, elaborate decorations, and gaudy trimmings. That one went boom. Finally, the building in the NJO is different enough that there are raised podiums (a la the chancellor's booth in the PT) for the most important individuals, and separate sections for the High Council, all of which was ringed with ascending, floating platform free booths or areas for the Senators, all of which was laced with stairways leading down to the Chief of State's podium, which apparently could be raised high into the air and lowered to the ground with ease. This building was also shaped in such a way that Nom Anor was forced to make a circuitous walk down the stairs from the entrances at the upper levels, between the Senator's booths, to the ground level, and it was also shaped in such a way that security droids needed to chase the Wookiee delegation up the stairs and out of the chaimber when they were being a nuisance.

Anyway, I'd imagine that after the capture of Coruscant by the Republic, the old Senate building was both in no condition to be used, and not appropriate for the new structure of government, so a move voluminous chaimber was used in the Imperial Palace. This room would had to have been redone after the Imperial Civil War, and the construction would have continued up to the New Rebellion, where it was an unnecessarily decadent chaimber. Once Kueller blew that one up, then the Senate probably slid on over to a reconstructed and remodeled Senate Rotunda, the one used in the PT, and maintained their business from there until it was turned into a swimming pool for Jacen's best friend.

Oh, one last thing...the Senate chaimber in ToTJ was likely destroyed when the Sith took over in 2000 BBY, and was changed into the more elegant and austere Senate Rotunda with the floating platforms and all.

7. Hugh_Jass

Hugh_Jass Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I think I sorta in a way maybe remember Leia thinking about the new senate chamber that was constructed in SOP and VOTF. But this is why prequels can be so annoying.

8. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The New Republic senate chamber seen in the JEdi Acadamy comic series looked a lot like the TOTJ one, maybe the NR decided to use that one instead of the PT hall (bad memories of the Empire, maybe?).

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is there evidenc eof the mpire still using the PT one?

10. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Actually I'm with the idea that during the NJO they moved back in to the PT one. In TUF when Han and Leia are flying around the senate(which is described in it's PT form), Leia points out where Borsk Fel'yas office would be in the Senate building. Why would she do that if they weren't using it?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have a vague recollection of a recent source mentioning Palpatine using the podium of the PT Senate--but I've no idea what it is. :(

The new Senate chamber mentioned in HoT is the 'Grand Convocation Chamber'--IIRC. :)

12. Darth_Halcyon

Darth_Halcyon Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Well, I'd think that the Emperor moved the Senate to a room in the Imperial Palace, but is that stated for fact anywhere? We all know that he claimed the Galactic Empire his own in the PT Chambers now, but the 18 years in between then and the abolishment of the Senate (stated in ANH), anything could have happened.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We do know that he uses one other chamber to address large groups--as seen in TIE Fighter. Wrether it's the Imperial Senate or simply an audience of Imperial élites is not clear.

14. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I seemed to recall hearing that a different chamber was used during the Imperial era, so I began to wonder if that happened after he and his little green friend kinda wrecked the current place. Granted, it didn't appear to be irreparable damage, but it might've been a good excuse to move.

15. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well like I said it seems that they repaired and moved back into the PT Senate. At least according to TUF.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I began to wonder if that happened after he and his little green friend kinda wrecked the current place.<<

That was my thinking- it also gives Palpatine a means to distance the Imperial Senate from the corruption of the Republic Senate. And the demolition derby was a good excuse to temporarily move proceedings elsehwere and they just never moved back.

17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The interior grand chamber was redesign after Sidious' ascendancy, as HTTE says. Redesigned again after Dolph's bombs orgasmed. This isn't to say the round exterior wasn't the original.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Excellence has it I think. Which isn't to say that they didn't remodel it a lot while the Senate wasn't in session, so the VOTF Senate might not have looked like say, the Vector Prime Senate.

19. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "The new Senate chamber mentioned in HoT is the 'Grand Convocation Chamber'--IIRC"

This term is also used to describe the Senate Rotunda in the RotS novel, and elsewhere, I believe.

And, IMO, the Senate chamber in TOTJ serves as the foundation for the PT version. The design looks like a proto-version of the main body of the PT building. Later, the mushroom dome is added; the Rotunda within replacing the old chamber formerly in the lower section.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    That's messy, then. Zahn's Grand Convocation Chamber is intended to be distinct from the previous Senate halls--it was redesigned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.