main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Building

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthMane2, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    In the NJO source book it has the Senate building as that of the movie version. With Nom Alnor flying around in a pod and such.

I was wondering if this is just a WOTC idea, or if the Senate Chamber is still in use during the post PT era?

I'm asking because in SOTP, the New Republic is in the Imperial Palace or some other building. They aren't in the Great Rotunda though.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    IIRC, the Senate rotunda (at least, what I've always assumed to be as the Rotunda in the EU) was bombed in some EU book or another. After that (I think BFC) they used a different one.

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It was bombed, but IIRC, the descriptions don't match up at all. :p

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    To be fair, there have been several Senate buildings on Coruscant.

According to Coruscant and the Core Worlds, their was the original Senate Hall, which is the location of the duel between Vodo Siosk-Baas and Exar Kun. The Galactic Senate Chamber that we see in the Prequels is actually built on top of the old Senate Hall, which no longer exists.

Palpatine closed the Galactic Senate Chamber when he disolved the Imperial Senate, so it was no longer in use. When the New Republic captured Coruscant, they first met in the Imperial Palace. Soon though they constructed a new Senate Hall. It was in use until 13 years after Endor, when the building was severely damaged by a terrorist bomb.

Deeming the structure beyond repair, the New Republic built the Grand Convocation Chamber, which served as the Senate building up until the Vong took Coruscant.

As for the Galactic Senate Chambers from the Prequels, the building was eventually turned into a habitat for the Yuuzhan Vong world brain.

Hope all this helps.

--Adm. Nick

5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah that helps.

After rereading the passage in TUF. It does seem that the old Senate Building was in use again. When Leia and Han fly around the Senate. Leia points to the place somewhere on the Senate dome where Borsk office would have been.

So I guess it was in use before the Vong took it.

EDIT: don't know if this is continuity error not, but it is implied very well.

6. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The Grand Convocation Chamber buildings is built on the foundations of the Senate Rotunda. With its appearance in RotJ, it appears the Rotunda survives the prequels, so it is likely damaged during a battle on Coruscant (either during the Rebel assault in Wedge's Gamble or damaged by Imps, perhaps to stop the Rebels getting their hands on Senate records).

In the NJO, the Convocation Chamber is destroyed, leaving the foundation of the Senate Rotunda for use as the Well of the World Brain.

7. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't know. It appears to me that the the PT version and the NJO version are one in the same, according to TUF.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, it is a classic case of people not doing their homework in regards to writing the EU. In Vector Prime, it states that the NR senate meets in the Grand Convocation Chamber- which was finished only shortly before the book, IIRC. The fact that the NJO sourcebook and some NJO books imply that the NR senate met in the old Galactic Senate Chamber is nothing more than a mistake.

Read CatCW. It makes everything clear.

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.