main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Dissolved

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by boarderbum51, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boarderbum51

boarderbum51 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2003
    Forgive me if this exists and feel free to lock (if you wouldnt mind awnsering my ? too).

Many people feel that in ANH when Palpatine dissolved the senate he later created a new one, the Imperial Senate. However I have always thought it happened differently. I thought that back during the old republic, right when Palpatine declared himself Emporer that the senate automatically became the Imperial Senate. Then in ANH after he dissolved it there was no more senate during the rest of Empires time.

Was the Senate transformed to the imperial senate after he dissolved the original, or after he declared himself emporer and was later dissolved???

(its kinda worded funny, sorry bout that!)

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    This is how I figure it might have happened:

Palpatine declares himself Emperor, and renames the Senate "The Imperial Senate" as the Empire is now in control. While it is called a "Senate" I woud think that not much in the way of democracy took place during it's meetings. Palpatine then dissolves the Imperial Senate which gets rid of "democracy" and puts him in a position of supreme power.

3. boarderbum51

Mar 14, 2003
    I agree, but the way many of my friends think of it and many on these boards also is that The senate continued all the way through ANH and then Palpy dissolved it. Later he created the imperial senate and this gave him more power yet was still very democratic and this weas how it was during ESB and ROTJ. honmestly I think me and you have the right idea though

4. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I agree with what has been said, but I'd go out on a limb and say Palpy doesn't even start to use the term 'Empire' until he takes back the Sepertists back into the Republic.

5. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    TARKIN: The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept
    away.

TAGGE: That's impossible! How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?

TARKIN: The regional governors now have direct control over territories. Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station.

This leads me to believe that the Sentate is gone, in all it's forms. The Emperor may have an Inner Council of sorts, but all forms of representation by residents of the planets themselves is pretty much gone.

6. boarderbum51

Mar 14, 2003
    well im glad we all agree

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The Emperor most definatly terminated the senate in all of its forms in ANH.

The Empire was most likely technically formed at the end of the Clone Wars and when that occurs, the senate probably loses all of its power. Palpatine probably just keeps it around in name until he has managed to get a solid grip on the galaxy. Then and only when he was in a position to rule the entire galaxy with an iron fist does he dissolve the senate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.