main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Senate?] Do you like serious discussion, but not having to go to another subforum for it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Austism is the condition by which it's impossible for an Australian to get through a Friday without at least one beer and a victory over a pathetic English Ashes team. Please don't mock, it's a real illness.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We are proposing the Senate wouldn't exist anymore. Its function would be folded back into the JCC, just like Amph and Arena have done successfully. A tag would be retained to help people find those sorts of threads (just like the Arena tag can help people find sports threads), but it's largely a search convenience.

Ender Sai and Bacon164 like this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Actually, no plans for a sequel. Though I suppose this would count as a grittier reboot to the two stories I wrote about the JCC years and years ago. It's called End of an Era (rebooting from Era's End & Era's End II: This Sequel Sucks). I don't want to spoil anything in case I ever do get around to posting it here in the near future. Suffice it to say that it starts three weeks before the board move and wraps up about a year after. Less joky than my earlier stories; pretty grim actually. I wonder what this says about me as a person. Anyway, political thriller of a type, I guess, and a large portion of the story takes place while all the forums are integrated, but tensions are high and it seems that borders might close any day. Yeah, I'm making no sense.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

this im fine with. i thought ender was proposing the senate remain a mini-modded community with separate rules (albiet fewer). if it doesnt add any more mods to the community pot and the rules are the same as all other threads but its just a tag for serious discussion, im down. put the ******* out of their misery

CT-867-5309 and Bacon164 like this.
  5. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    goddammit bill cosby

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want the Senate back now because of "Serious Topic Discussion", so the tags for those threads would always read STD.

7. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I hope we do agree to merge the two again. But then something goes wrong and the Senate merges with the Costume forum.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i'd be fine with a senate/costume forum merge.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually yeah let's do that. or senate and beyond the saga fanfic

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That is disgusting.

Why would someone have a setup like that using Macs?

11. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Whatever happens, I think the leper colony where we're keeping Kimball and Fido should stay where it is. I'd be fine with (and might participate up to three times a year in) a Serious Discussion tag in JCC, but I also think Serious Discussion threads can exist just fine under the JCC tag, so I don't really see it as necessary. The people who are worth having serious discussions with come into JCC anyway. Make a list of the threads you'd miss from over there, assign them amongst the Senate/JCC crossover population and clone them here, and then carry on.

tom, jp-30 and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I was pro-merge before, of course. But honestly -- if they want out so badly, then let them keep their own little private club. We are getting by just fine without them, and we have great and interesting serious discussion threads. I don't know why it bothers people that the Senate exists. I ignore it -- you should too.

13. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    1. senate/costume forum merge
    2. trap ghost/summer dreamer in it

i'd be very, very happy with this.

tom, Rogue1-and-a-half and Rogue_Ten like this.
  14. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

I'm sure there are many reasons originating from social and economic issues. But this is hardly the right place for that debate.

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    or do what i do and just imagine it as a sort of purgatory, a digital north korea safely cordoned off from the rest of us, where the juche idea senate ethos can remain as a curiosity and constant reminder of the strange powers of ideology and isolation.

alternatively its like a trophy on my metaphorical mantelpiece that i occassionally stop to reminisce over but don't ever touch. i never touch

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

yeah is there some way we can set summer dreamer's account to only post in the senate? subtle hints dont seem to be having any effect

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Senate isn't really a purgatory since Mr44 found a way out. I fear he may drag the rest of the lot in his wake.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    KK also posts pretty frequently in the JCC. About as much as he has in the Senate, post-split. All of you who are arguing that the Senate keeps people you find unpleasant away:

A) No it doesn't. They still post here
    B) We have an "Ignore" function

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Wait, one of the JCC's official functions is ignoring people?

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i page Kimball_Kinnison any time i can think of an excuse. he must have ME on ignore. :(

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  21. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Unsurprisingly, the senate people weren't invited.

Saintheart likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Due to fears of being considered "predictable", I will not post a pic of Palpatine saying "I am the Senate". Someone else will have to do that.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

the senate people weren't invited where? to the prom? to play with the any of the other little boys and girls? to the bar to hang out with the rest of "the gang" after work?

yes, that's been apparent

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    To the offical function.

Saintheart likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Use Nicholas Cage instead.