main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Senate?] Do you like serious discussion, but not having to go to another subforum for it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 8, 2013.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I'm really at a loss as to how allowing an existing legacy forum to merely continue existing could in any way establish a precedent that 2-3 users could receive their own private forum created specifically for them, but if it is going to go that way, can sethg and I get a One Direction forum, please?

sethg likes this.
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    One is, one isn't.
    Did you hear that poof? That was your cause.

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    They are incredibly long-lived threads. Both obviously are inclusive of posts from outside the relevant timeframe. But it is those within the time period of the merger that I am referring to, and which I would like to see emulated.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'd rather try something new than emulate something that ultimately also failed.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You know that whole idea that if you keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results but ultimately getting the same one every single time? That could probably happen if the Senate is only remerged with the JCC with nothing else changing and having the same strict rule set.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Let's see, I can give you either...

"I want my people to reclaim their rightful place in the galaxy. I want to see the Centauri stretch forth their hand again, and command the stars! I-I want a rebirth of glory, a renaissance of power. I want to stop running through my life like a man late for an appointment, afraid to– to look back, or to look forward. I want us to be what we used to BE! I want…I want it all back, the way that it was! Does that answer your question?"

or

"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange this for me...?"

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

[​IMG]

[face_mischief]

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Did I kill the discussion with a Braveheart not-quote?

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    no you just sort of failed to act on the discussion until it died the slow death of abject frustration. classic mod tactic. nice work

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He's not a senate mod, though.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    in mainstream american english there is no distinctive plural second person

though i have personally been known to use "y'all", it is not a consistent quirk

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Youse guys.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Rogue Number Ten, realistically their "timeline" doesn't much matter so long as they don't stall deliberately. This is one of few threads in post-move history to reach such a length, and certainly one of the only to do so in such a short span of time. It would be insane for anyone to try and interpret the slump in posting as some sort of loss of interest in the topic.

I trust instead that they, like all of us, more or less realize that all the parties that had a position they cared about have spoken up by now. I would still have liked to hear more from the pro-split side of this discussion, especially the moderator that defends it as policy. As it is, right now I don't have a complete sense of what all Senate regulars wanted to protect, though posts from LostOnHoth and darth calvin were really helpful in outlining what they get out of it. At this point, though, I guess I have to take prolonged silence for lack of investment in this issue. As no one seems to have any further questions or concerns about my own position (not that everyone agrees, just that they've been discussed thoroughly), and no one is continuing to alter alternatives I haven't extensively critiqued, I've more or less run out of things to say for the moment.

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

The two youts.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe they're waiting until Christmas to make an announcement, so it comes off as the best/worst Christmas gift ever?

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This again eh?

Look, if you want Senate threads back here get rid of the "Senate" tag, rename it to something else like "Politics" to forever remove the old Senate stigma, and not have any specific rules for them. I've said it a lot of times but I just don't like the idea of specifically tagged threads in Community having their own sets of rules. Why? I don't know, maybe I just like consistency. Posting rules should be the same with the only differences being the topic/subject of those threads which is what the tags are for.

How about instead of setting rules we set expectations? Like the expectation of an Arena thread is that the discussion will be about a particular sport and not just people posting memes. That isn't to say posting memes is against the rules but it should not be what the thread turns into. So the expectation of a Senate thread would be that people are encouraged to have insightful, in-depth disucssions or debates on political topics without turning into Rob Ford gif fest.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    We are most all onboard with those points. The heart of the debate is now what to do about the existing Senate forum.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Make it an archived Senate forum and move over any active topics to here. If someone wants an old thread re-opened then it would just get unarchived and moved similar to how it's done with old YJCC threads.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    We have in fact argued for this for several pages.

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Okay sorry, I should have mentioned I haven't read through this thread as I've only seen it now for the first time. :p

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's ok. Lot of people have had the same "ew! EWWWWWWW!" reaction to the Senate.

You should go back to page 1 or 2 and see JP's post. That to me is the most pressing issue we have not yet resolved...

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Boba_Fett_2001: Please make your voice heard by voting in this poll. A sentence or two in the thread reiterating the sentiments you expressed here wouldn't hurt either.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why don't we rename it the "Imperial Senate"?

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Internets, do you have any really, really large hardcovers nearby? Like an encyclopedia, or the last George RR Martin novel?
    If so, please smack yourself over the head with it? There's a good chap.

lol

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    would you prefer i refer to my language as "english" when clearly it is much more regionally specific than that?