main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Senate?] Do you like serious discussion, but not having to go to another subforum for it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If his God allows it to be, then sure.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Two forums: 1. Star Wars. 2. Not Star Wars.

4. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    To throw in my 2 cents, I think New Senate is probably a good idea.

The only thing that matters in regards to "Senate" is that some serious discussion can be had, with folks on either side of whatever topic is being discussed accurately detailing their opinions and using evidence to back them up.

This change would just make that more accessible and open it up to more users, which should always be the priority of a forum.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    What about the spoiler/non-spoiler divide, japes?

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    There are only six people or so who would end up posting in 1.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

This. x10.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd post in both to up my posting count because I'm a posting whore for meaningful discussions.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I will actually give you a serious response this time, because I actually don't view this as a Wocky/Ender thing. Even if I did, at least the two of you combined makes a good egg sometimes, so that's not bad.

But this is actually a logistical issue (and a hubris issue for the people who wanted their own Man Cave and didn't want to share with the other guys and gals). When Arena/Amph/JCC were merged -- you don't have multiple threads. Period. All sports threads are marked "Arena" (and was not the case when on old boards and two forums). All movies, TV, etc. are marked "Amph" (and was not the case when on old forums). Et cetera.

Under the previous rules (two forums) like what we have now, we can have a light-hearted discussion, JCC-style, in the JCC on, say, Trayvon Martin. Or you could have a Senate-style discussion in the Senate. When the two forums were together there wasn't necessarily a hard and fast rule as to which thread was tagged which way, but I actually liked the Trayvon Martin thread (though not the thread subject obv) because I thought that's how a lot of that interaction should go in a JCC-marked thread with Senate regulars participating.

However, what you're asking for -- since we're in a two forum system like the old boards -- is to have duplicated threads (one in JCC, one in Senate) but have the JCC version arbitrarily decided between who posts the thread and tag it Senate/JCC, because you wouldn't have a third thread (one Senate-tagged in JCC, one JCC-tagged in JCC and one in the Senate) as that's never been done / allowed in the history of the boards.

That's why this is a clusterfluff. You either have to crap or get off the pot. Either Senate goes away, in total, or it doesn't. There is no half-assed compromise to be had here.

10. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Then down with the senate.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    dp, what would be the objection to that Trayvon thread being tagged Senate, but nothing else changing?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Most of that thread would never pass muster with Senate rules, even slightly relaxed ones. But the Senate "regulars" who were in there and contributing didn't have an issue with the deviation.

13. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Spoilers posted like this

Coruscant and DarthTunick like this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, we know that. We aren't proposing Senate rules in the JCC. We are proposing a legacy "Senate" tag on threads that have serious discussions. But ideally they would run much like the Trayvon Martin thread did.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That sounds like having a tag for having a tag. If that went fine under JCC tag and you don't want to be in the Senate... don't be in the Senate and post in threads here?

What's the goal you're looking for?

16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm fairly certain the goal at this point is to remove Kim Jong SuperWatto from power in his insular/isolated forum.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is that different from the Amph or Arena tags?

The merged Community forum saw a greater number and quality of serious discussions through the synergy of Senate and JCC regulars interacting. This is exactly the quality you highlighted that works so well in the Trayvon Martin thread. Long posts were counter-balanced with briefer insights. The informality coaxes serious contributions out of people that rarely speak up, and the rare, fresh perspectives pushed Senate posters used to arguing endlessly with the same three people to make new considerations. That's the sort of vitality worth recapturing.

We lost it in splitting the forums, and both have been poorer since.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    jp's ideas are simple, elegant, and sublime.

Mods, make them so!

Violent Violet Menace and jp-30 like this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    love is patient; love is kind

Rogue1-and-a-half and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So, the problem then is that the word Senate has a fixed meaning in people's minds; a negative meaning at that too.

I posted in Comms a list of what I'd see to be bare bones requirements for a Senate tag in the JC: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/senate-proposed-rules-revision.50013899/#post-51181035

Thoughts?

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    To be honest, I really don't care about this kind of stuff anymore. Better things to spend time/energy on. Que sera sera.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Dude. Was talking to dp, not jp! Wrong p-series former mod droid. Sheesh. :p

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I get mixed up. Am I the jew?

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yep. dp is the Kiwi drunk.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

"I'm trying like hell to care."

Although I agree with/am on the Ender/Wocky/harps/Bacon side of this debate, I just don't see the absolute necessity of all this happening right now, and the absolute need for there to be a New Senate legacy tag. If it happens? Great, fine, a win for the Community. If it doesn't? Life goes on here without missing that much of a beat.. from my point of view, anyway.

Juliet316 likes this.