main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Sentimental gestures--A L/M vignette in the midst of The Last Command--Vignette 50!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Note: For Jackyyy17, who deserves something nice today.
    There was little that Mara could do under house arrest.

They had left her with basic amenities such as food and a datapad, but after the first few minutes of attempting to get a signal on her commlink, short-range or otherwise, she had given up.

For now.

Of course, the guards who covered the day shifts seemed to have as little common sense as they had credentials, so they were stupid enough to find excuses to look in on her. She didn't give them the pleasure of seeing her fight against them--she was as innocent as they of the crime tacked onto her record to justify this imprisonment. Instead, she remained on her back, staring at the ceiling every time they checked to see if she was attempting a daring and foolhardy escape or attempting to send urgent messages to her Imperial masters.

If they had any idea to whom she had long been loyal, they'd have a lot more than a couple of inept guards outside her door. For the moment, her priorities dictated that she remain loyal to Karrde. Anything else seemed unnecessary.

There was a murmur of voices outside the door, but a scan of the minds outside produced more annoyance than anything else. She didn't bother to quell that emotion as the door hissed open.

"A day full of Skywalkers," she said dryly as she turned her head to look at him impassively. "I must be cursed by the powers that be."

"Yes," Luke said with that idiotic grin of his. "Leia mentioned she'd stopped in."

"And I suppose you're here to see if you can get the rest of the story," she responded in kind. "I told her everything I'm able..."

"I'm not here for that."

She hated his earnestness, his attempts at humor, his attempts to befriend her and this seemed to be a case of her needing to suffer all three.

She propped herself on her elbows and then sat up, turning to face him. "I don't suppose the next time around you could learn the value of timing," she suggested. "Your sister could have used your help the other night."

He grimaced sincerely. "I know," he conceded, "but she was fortunate to have you here."

Something twinged in her stomach as if she were partly relieved by his gratitude. Perhaps it was more a matter of relief that the number of people who believed that her intentions in being in the wrong place at the right time were something other than sinister and traitorous.

"I couldn't let it happen," she explained simply.

"Why?"

He didn't ask about her family or her instincts like his sister had. He didn't try and use it to inspire a declaration of loyalty. He simply wanted to know why.

There were so few ways to explain it, but they all should have had nothing to do with the man she was compelled to kill someday. Nonetheless, there was one thing that she could not deny.

"You came after me," she said inadequately.

"At the Katana Fleet?" he prompted.

She nodded. "I didn't expect it for my next target," she stated, looking him directly in the eyes.

Luke's mouth twitched slightly, but other than that, his expression didn't change. "I wasn't thinking of you that way," he retorted. "You were a friend in trouble."

She had nothing to refute that and she could not explain why. Perhaps it was a combination of the number of times they had saved each other or combined forces under the pretense of duress.

"Would you do the same again?" she asked.

"Of course."

His answer was so easy, so immediate. Naivete seemed to make things so much more simple. She wondered if she'd ever been like that.

"Why?" it was her turn to ask.

This time, he did smile. "The same reason you haven't killed me," he asserted. "You can call it loyalty or friendship or write it off as a sentimental gesture, but I don't think I mind it by any name."

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    That was great!

You caught Mara's cynicism and Luke's naive optimism perfectly!

Great and beautiful!

3. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Those two... *sighs*

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, I really liked that. Perfect Luke and Mara. Great job!

5. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Mah-velous! Well done as always! =D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I loved this part: Mara hating Luke's earnestness, his attempt at humor, and to befriend her! Funny, I love all three!!! :* [face_laugh]
    You caught Mara's cool cynical aloofness, and Luke's boyish warmth perfectly. I love exploring this time in their relationship--tentative as it was. You described that very, very well. =D= And their reasons for getting each other out of jams--liked those too: I also believe they were sentimental gestures. :) :)

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Kidan--Thanks, kidan! I love Mara's cynicism in this timeframe. :)

RedGold--Yes, so happy together.

ginchy--Thanks, ginchy! I enjoyed getting them written.

Jade_Pilot--thank you, dah-ling!

Jade_eyes--LOL, yeah, that was fun. I love all three as well. The boyish warmth is my favorite bit about the L/M early years... I believe they were sentimental gestures as well.

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Aaw, that was nice. Mara and Luke were in perfect character, Ish. Loved his repsonse, about friendship and/or sentimental gestures.

9. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    [:D] Thanks so much Ish. It really helped lighten my spirits.

I love the interaction between Mara and Luke. His farmboy Naivety and Mara's "toughness." It was only a matter of time before they ended up together.

But the part that touched me was that last part. Even though Mara claimed that Luke was her target, he naver hesitated to save her. Thats unconditional love right there.

Good job Ish. =D=

jacky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.