main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Sep 11 tv: Going too far?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Thats one of the things that annoys me, I do not agree with the terrorists who attack America. But each country is bad in they're own way. But what the Americans did there was pretty bad yet it is rarely ever spoken about these days.

2. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    What happened at Hiroshima was bad, dont get me wrong. But the fact is more people would have died in the long run had the US not intervened with Atomic Weapons.

President Truman made a tough decision to drop those bombs, and that is why he is my favourite American President ever.

3. Anna_kin

Anna_kin Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2001
    Ah, now you've hit on one of my pet peeves- Hiroshima. It bothers me how everyone here talks about Pearl harbor and how bad it was...okay, yes, it was wrong of Japan to kill two thousand of our military men, but how does that justify us killing literally hundreds of thousands of Japanese citizens, including many, many innocent women and children?

4. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Of all the specials n stuff on, I MIGHT watch the French Doco. i had a friend see it and said it was fairl respectful, and incredibly engaging.

5. Nyder

Nyder Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    If you're talking morals and ethics, then killing people can usually not be justified. But when it comes down to the situation where it's either you or me, then any damages concurred is something that could not have been avoided. [face_plain]

6. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I went to a quiet mass this morning and prayed, tonight I will say the rosary when I go to bed. But I will stay up to watch the Memorial Services at Ground Zero. Everytime the TV shows the planes or images from that day, tears start. I lost friends and have many friends who lost family members etc that day, I hope it never happens again! :(

[image=http://katweb.net/ustrip/Dsc00205.jpg]
    Taken from the air, coming into La Guardia

[image=http://katweb.net/ustrip/Dsc00205a.jpg]
    A closeup of the previous picture

I did not take any photos of Ground Zero from the ground when I went, it didn't feel right.

7. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    The thing on channel 7 at the moment is pretty damn good. De Niro is hosting it with basic introductions but the video documentary is from the French crew that got the shot of the first plane.

It's the only thing I've seen so far that's an actual tribute to firefighters.

On the viewing platforms, I always thought they were a pretty sick sort of idea. I mean to actually set up a platform when while people were still working on the clearing up of the area is just really out of whack.

There's plenty of time down the track to have a viewing of the area. Then you can have proper memorials without having to distract workers or put waste resources.

But there was always going to be a market for it, which is probably a worse shame anyway.

8. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    wedge, they charged to go on those platforms, cannot remember whether it was 9.95 USD or 15 or higher. They were still charging for that when I was there in late May/early June for Memorial Day Week.

The service, I could only get 2 streets away, it was that packed. That's the service when they brought the last girder out. I and many others cried openly, I am just very glad I wasn't there when it happened.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    what USA did to japan was wrong!!!! There is no justice in what they did!
    but when it happens back to them.... we all are expected to get on our knees and pray for USA. well i aint!

As much as i feel sorry for the innocent people killed in Sept 11, im not sorry for it happening. They HAD IT COMING!

I finally got it off my chest

10. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    The re-enactment of flight93 was disgraceful and terrible

11. Eye_of_Sauron

Eye_of_Sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2002
    [Millhouse] I fear to watch, yet I can't turn away! [/Millhouse]

12. Anna_kin

Anna_kin Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2001
    <i>As much as i feel sorry for the innocent people killed in Sept 11, im not sorry for it happening. They HAD IT COMING!</i>

Most of the people who died on 9/11 last year were born long after Hiroshima happened. They had nothing to do with it. It is not right to suggest that their blood should pay for crimes commited before their time.

Or, an even better idea: WHY DON'T WE JUST STOP KILLING PEOPLE???

13. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    9/11 I found was good but the amount of stuff concentrated on just America is ridiculous there, if they are gonna do that they should do it for what happen to people of Palestine/Israel, Hiroshima, Vietnam, Libya and so on, on all Channels as well not just SBS or ABC I find the whole thing is just full of complete unfairness, the view point is unjust as it is only from the American's view point. Did anyone see that Letter to America on SBS last Friday and Letter from USA on Saturday that was excellent viewing.

Oh yeah today they gonna show on SBS a movie Smallpox 2002 at 10.00pm its about an Arab infecting himself with Smallpox and unleashing it on Americans. I don't know if you guys are interested but it should be a good viewing.

14. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    I flicked around. Saw some ofthe french doco. Other than that, I watched 13Days with directors commentary on, then the Panel, and then the end of the MTV Music awards (GUNS N ROSES PLAYED!!!!!) and then to bed. I didnt watch Channel 9, I didnt watch much of anything Sept 11ish.

Although if u happen to hve 13 days in your collection and havent watched it with directors commentary, then I suggest u do so. Some fairly ironic comments made about how this is the closest to date America has come to being threatened. Goes to show what can happen just a year after a film is made!

15. Ellorion

Ellorion Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    I'd just like to say that I find the term 'innocent women and children' slightly offensive. What about all the innocent 'men', and wildlife, and vegetation, and every other ****ing think that was obliterated by those bloody A-bombs?
    I just though I'd point out that along with all the human casualties, war has a devestating effect on the environment aswell. [face_plain]

16. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Let Japan commemorate the A-bombs if they want to. Who says they can't?

In 50 years time you won't be seeing documentarys every year on the date. It's only because it's still so fresh in everyone's head.

And I'm sure the entire universe is upset about the vegetation in Negasaki. A bit of perspective on things wouldn't go astray.

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Even though im not Japanese, i will never ever forgive USA for what they did on 1945. It was COMPLETELY wrong!!!!!
    Not to mention the fights that they stick their noses in...... Yugoslavia and Vietnam.

America deserved what happened to them on 9/11. TO clear up some things, i feel very sorry fro the people who lost their lives, but America as a country deserved what happened 100% If you have a problem with what i said, PM me.

18. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    ^ Ladies and Gentlemen, Anthony Mundine [face_plain] ^

19. Eye_of_Sauron

Eye_of_Sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2002
    I don't entirely agree with SoE's thoughts, the gist perhaps, but not the way he's putting it.

But I won't let that make me flame him, call him names, snigger at his user name, or make really bad references to other ppl in the media to connect them to him in a derogatory fashion.

Of course, that doesn't mean that others who want to make themselves look like knee jerk reactionaries should hold back, other ppl's opinions are never as valid as our own after all.

20. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Don't worry, the managers around here have a good track record of getting rid of people like that.

21. Dave_Smogcrawler

Dave_Smogcrawler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    SOE there is a reason as to why Mundine was so vindicated...wording may be a lil harsh I know its prolly true but living in the world that is ours express yourself in other words will get you far.

22. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Anthony M is a champ. I believe in what he said.

23. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Did you agree with his back-peddling on the subject as well? Mundine is just an idiot who doesn't think before he opens his mouth.

24. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Anthony was asked for his views on the attacks on Sept 11. If they are going to be pissed at him for what he said, they shouldn't have asked.
    Mundine is the man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.