main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sep 11th Spam

Discussion in 'Communications' started by toochilled, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Hey Mods, Admins, Managers, Lurkers and Sub-Humanoid mutant deamons alike,

I thought I'd best thread this rather then PM it because I can see lots of it appearing soon.

I would like to draw your attention to this user as an example: Lady_Lucas

She has posted the same thread in multiple, and I mean over 10, forums. Now, the thread is one of those 'let's prey for sep 11...etc.. threads.
    Regardless of the thread type she is spamming and spamming heavily.

Posting such a sentimentalised thread in some of the forums that she has shows a stunning lack of regional knowledge and also seems to express a patronisation to those regional fanforce groups. It comes over as though, without this poster's help, they would not have been able to remember the events themselves, in their own way. Additionally it provokes angry responses from the users in each of the invaded forums which, to the untrained eye, can appear as if they are the ones cheapening the events of a year ago.
    Whether intentional or not it causes agrivation and annoyance. Two adjectives that, in my mind, do not marry well with my idea of how this tragic event should be remembered.

I advise you to take a stance now and warn that spam relating to septemeber the 11th will be dealt with as per normal spam. Otherwise you may well find yourself overrun with a mixture of both well and badly intentioned spam at a time that spam, really, should be the last thing on people's minds.

Well, this crisis seems to be resolved. If anyone has any further complaints or questions or comments on the subject, PM me or another mod and we'll reopen the thread.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, I can tell you right now (and its int he Mod Squad update as well) that were are working on a plan for how to deal with this place on Sept. 11. The gist of what we currently have is in the update, so I won't go into here. But we are also open to suggestions, ideas, and all that, so if you have any thoughts, PM any mod and it'll be discussed.

I'll add also, that it looks like all her messages have been closed. Mostly by Gandolf, so if you see him, give him a cookie. :)

3. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [whips out locksaber]

Mmmm... cookies...

4. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    Cheers guys :)

5. Evil-Kenevil

Evil-Kenevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2002
    I agree with toochilled. How an American poster can spam on such a sensitive subject is beyond me. Lady Lucas is making a mockery of the whole 9-11 tragedy.

The bottom line is that the 9-11 attacks were an utterly horrific event. Thousands of people lost their lives. To decide to use this as an excuse to spam the forums shows complete and utter lack of respect or any understanding of decorum and dignity.

There should be one thread and one thread alone in the JCC. To go round the regional forums pushing it in people's faces is disgusting and embarrassing. Posters should be allowed to gather in a single thread and pay their repects in a dignified manner.

I demand a ban for Lady Lucas, for egotistical behaviour and abuse of an unnacceptable level on such a sensitive subject.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I noticed one in FF Canada that I felt was certainly not appropriate. Before I could post in it "Why post this here?", it was locked by Gandolf. It's not a bad thread, but it belongs in either JCC or USA General. If you don't have a USA General, you need one.

7. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Ok, I think we need to stop, take a deep breath, and give Lady_Lucas the benefit of a doubt. I have never heard of her- is she a newbie? If so, she may be unfamiliar with how things work here.

Even if she is an older member, we all do dumb things. I have *certainly* done my share of dumb things...and believe me, it hurts when you do somehting you think if a good idea, and all you get is flames and hatred for it.

Also, this is just a message board, we need to chill out just a little.

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Still, she should know better than to post things like that in international FF forums.

Especially Canada. She and several others from one of the American FFs recently invaded FF Canada and began trolling. The reaction they got from the Canadians was, of course, less than happy. They later realized that Canadians are good people, and apologized. So, she should have known better.

I don't think she should be banned for this, but I believe she should defiantely receive a stern warning.

9. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    People know for one that spamming is a banable offence, also it's the point of it's a sensitive subject. I am not saying there shouldn't be any posts on it but there are many other ways to remember the dead rather than spamming a message board.

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    It was even posted in the Oceania and Asia/Africa FFs, to which a "Proclamation of remembrance" speech is completely irrelevant. Thankfully, Shara_82 locked the Oceania one (and at least one other, I think). This may be good-natured spam, but it's still spam. I think at least a stern warning would be appropriate, maybe a spank. She's been around since March, she should know better.

11. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Wow.

I haven't seen that kind of spamming since, oh, before you were born. :p

I think she should be given at least 24 or 48. She's a Mar 02'er, and she should know better than that.

My opinion, anyway [face_plain]

12. toochilled

Oct 17, 2000
    The only part that I really got angry about was in the French forum.

The thread was posted.
    A response to the thread was posted, along the lines of; 'this is a French forum. I do not forget but also I do not request to be reminded'

Lady_Lucas responded with:

'I posted that on all the world forums not just France and hey were you even aware that there were FRENCH people that died on Sept. 11th also?? Wow -you learn something new every day. '

[face_plain]

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I couldn't help but noticed it wasn't posted in GSFF.

14. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Maybe she can't speak German.

15. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Neither do I but I still post on there ;)

16. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Ssshhh, don't ruin my theory. :p

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Maybe she can't speak German.

She can't speak French either, by the looks of her post in the French forum, but that didn't stop her.

Are we not good enough to be spammed? :mad: ;)

18. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    "They later realized that Canadians are good people, and apologized. "

What?!? You can't give away the secret that behind our coarse, unfriendly and untrusting nature we're actually good people. Quickly Gandolf, ban him for suggesting such a thing! :eek: ;)

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    well handled mods :)

I hope your plans for the boards work well on Sept 11th.

I've never seen spam like that before on the JCFs, and I hope to not see it again. Its only one step away from those terrible chain emails about some kid with cancer etc etc

M

20. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    Hey gang,
    Just FYI: I posted the "official" 9/11 JCC thread this morning. I hope this helps. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.