main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Separating Reality From Myth - The True Origins of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by seventhbeacon, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I think it's important, as time goes on, to really dig into what went into the making of Star Wars. Which people contributed integral parts to the formation of the saga, and separating the truth from the ever-changing historical revisionism of George Lucas interviews and the "company line."

A really good starting point is this recent interview with Producer Gary Kurtz:

http://mashable.com/2014/09/27/star-wars-myths-gary-kurtz/#4FhWBN6.oqqT

But I also recommend checking out the book "The Secret History of Star Wars" which does the heavy lifting, going through early screenplay drafts and interviews. It always bothered me that Lucas either lied and changed his story over the years, or remembered it incorrectly, changing the narrative to this grand false myth that even before the first Star Wars opened in theaters, he had the outline for all nine episodes of a grand saga.

It's especially important to recognize the amazing vision he *did* bring to his project, as well as the vital contributions of the other creative minds and collaborators that all made Star Wars possible.

If anyone else has other sources, interviews, etc that could shed some light on the truth behind the scenes, I'd love to know about it. Cheers!

2. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Great thread idea. However, we have multiple threads on these sorts of topics: the Saga In-Depth thread and According to Gary Kurtz are two that come to mind. Can we take this to one or some of those threads?

Also, on Secret History: the author used to be a regular poster in this forum, actually.

seventhbeacon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.