Amph Separation of Church and Sorcery--Kate Elliott and other such authors

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by DarthIshtar, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I've been reading the Crown of Stars by Kate Elliott and am very fascinated by this sort of story. It involves an 8th-century hierarchy of the Catholic church that is perfectly aware of magical powers and, to a certain extent, encourages the use of them in the service of God. There seems to be this same trend in the Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Does anyone know of other books with this sort of theme?
  2. Lusa_Thul Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh, and here I was thinking I was the only one who loved Crown of Stars! Hmm, I never thought to compare it to Mists of Avalon, but I definatly see what you mean: they're really similar in that respect. Actually, I'd say most King Arthur books deal with that theme to an extent. I know there are tons of other books that are similar to this, but right now I can only think of a few. The Symphony of Ages books by Elizabeth Haydon are similar in that the church is well aware of magic, but doesn't acknowlage it or credits it to a god. The Tristan and Isolde series, by Rosalinda Miles is almost the same as Mists of Avalon, too.
  3. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Dang, didn't see you come in. THere's also that theme of mistaken perceptions that we see both in Elliott and Bradley...and Shakespeare, granted... I like the idea of the Eagles and their Sight as well as the Seven Sleepers with their great and terrible powers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.