main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY Sept 21st Star Wars DVD

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Karate-Jedi, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    Hi all.

This has been on the CR's forum. I thought I would let you all have a look. How about doing something for the release of the movies on DVD,,,,Walmart or somewhere. This could be a lot of fun.

Ian.

Hello Everyone,
    Well here it is. As you may know the word is out. DVD set for Sept. 21, 04. Problem is..........it's only going to be the 1997 release. Sorry. I guess what we want as fans does not really mean much to old George these day's. I believe it's a shame that we did not even get a choice. Oh, well...

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "Star Wars" fans will finally get the Force-feeding they've been asking for.

The original three "Star Wars" films - among the most anticipated on DVD - will be released in the digital format Sept. 21 in North America, LucasFilm Ltd. and 20th Century Fox announced Tuesday.

A price for the package and international release dates were to be revealed later.

The original "Star Wars" movie from 1977 - now titled "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" because of the newer prequels - will be compiled in a four-disc collection along with the follow-ups "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi."

"For all the fans who've been watching VHS and wearing out tapes, this will be a leap into hyperspace," said Jim Ward, a Lucasfilm marketer and DVD executive producer.

The fourth disc will be for bonus features, including what the companies described as "the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the 'Star Wars' saga" and archive footage from the making of all three films.

They were re-released in theaters in "special edition" versions in 1997 that included touched-up effects and some new scenes.

The versions on DVD will feature only the special editions, LucasFilm spokeswoman Lynn Hale said.

Even though many fans of the original movies had hoped the rougher, unaltered films would also be provided, Ward said there wasn't much debate about whether to release the unaltered originals.

(AP) Actors, from left, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia and Harrison Ford...
    Full Image

"The official definitive versions are the 1997 special editions. That's the version the artist, in this case George Lucas, intended to be seen," he said.

There have been two prequels since "Return of the Jedi" wrapped up the original series in 1983.

"Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace" debuted in 1999, followed by "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" in 2002. Both are already available on DVD and will not be included in the original trilogy package in September.

The yet-untitled third prequel recently wrapped principal photography and is set for release in 2005

2. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    All I can say is:

w00000000000000000000t!

If I didn't think it would be expensive on my wallet, I'd say I found my brothers next gift ;)

3. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Nope. I'm buying it release day. Sorry! And I'd already heard about it, both from Primrodo's MSN name and a thread in FanFilms.

But yeah, an event would be completely awesome. I'll book that one at work now just to make sure I have it off.

4. DarkjediAssasin

DarkjediAssasin Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2003
    sweet!!!! i heard about this yesterday but its awsome. i would love to do an event but i will be in college by then and its in the middle of the week. i cant wait for it to come out!

5. Matrix-Jedi

Matrix-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 19, 2003
    College advice so you cna make the event: make friends w/ the kid on you floor that has a car. Then con them into driving out (3 hr trip, but still...). Or, better yet, get in tough with the Buffalo fanforce people and work with them if they have an event ;). Grats on getting accepted btw!

On a different note, I'd be up to doing something.

-K

6. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Is anyone else slightly dissapointed that it's only going to be the SE release? Fully half of the people over at FanFilms are griping, and I might agree with them; while SE is great, there are some parts that I prefer in the Original release (though I've never seen original, technically- only THX remastered).

Edit: Or how about the Ultimate Archival Edition that everyone's talking about? Ugh. Leave them how they are, Lucas. For the love of God. Or, make mor money and sell SE this September, Original realease in April before E3, E3 DVD next September, and Archival (or Ultimate) after that.

7. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    I can't see why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this. GL has said that the special edition is how he's wanted SW to look. I say it's his masterpiece, let him release it like he wants. Besides, the special edition looks better then the original. The only gripe I ever had with the special editions was Gredo shooting first. That'll bug me untill the day I die.

-K

8. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I agree....

Han shot first!

9. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    I didn't mind it, but it was a little overdone. But I didn't like the new RotJ end music.

And have you heard the rumors about the Ultimate Edition? Ugh. I shudder.

10. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    *high fives HothGirl* You know what's what!

The tribal music rocked! It is soooooooooooo sooooooooooooo sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better then the original ending music *grooves to the tribal Ewok beat*.

Do I want to know about this ultimate edition you're hinting at? For some reason I don't think I should know, but it's like Pandora's box... Give the schoop if you would.

-K

11. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    I was thrilled and disappointed at the same time by the SW DVD announcement.

A.) Han Shot First - the SE totally KILLED Han's character development throughout the entire saga. Not to mention it was very poorly done.

B.) Tribal Music ROCKED! - With the change in the end music of the SW, it seemed like they were trying WAY too hard with that piece. Maybe they can do something like they did at the end of Episode II where when the scene changes, the music changes to fit the atmosphere/planet. Just a thought, but guaranteed GL won't do that.

C.) Leave stuff to the Imagination - Was the bloody armless wampa really necessary? I dunno bout anyone else but I was more frightened by NOT seeing the wampa.

Ok, so those are my 3 main gripes about the SE. Ya know, it wouldn't surprise me if GL plans on releasing the OT on DVD at a later date because he probably knows he can make more money that way. He's been known to change his mind at the drop of a hat. Oh well, I guess only time will tell.

12. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Rumored changes: (link)

Episode IV: A New Hope:
    1. The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.

2. When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.

3. The lightsaber effects have been redone and the frame jumps of lightsabers being turned on has been removed.

4. There's a new scene which has been shot during the filming of Episode III in which the Emperor dissolves the Senate.

5. In the Cantina, the Duros (green aliens guys) have been replaced with Neimoidians and some aliens from the prequels have been added.

6. The bleeding arm on the floor in the Cantina has been replaced with a non-bleeding arm because it's now canon that lightsabers cauterize wounds.

7. The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.

8. Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover and Han no longer steps on his tale.

9. In place of R2 wobbling down the stairs to the Falcon's hangar, a CG R2 navigating the stairs like he does in Attack of the Clones was added.

10. The white boxes around space ships have been removed and new CG shots have been added.

11. The scene of the Falcon being chased by the two Star Destroyers was modified. The Falcon now does spinning moves, avoiding the Star Destroyers' fire.

12. When the Death Star destroys Alderaan there's a new scene of Yoda's reaction to the disturbance in the Force that is created by all those deaths and then it cuts to Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.

13. The Dianoga has gotten a CG makeover and were are now able to see more of the creature.

14. The Death Star's paneling and computers have been slightly altered to show similar displays to those in the prequels.

15. The words "Tractor Beam" with Aurebesh lettering.

16. More stormtroopers have been added to the Death Star.

17. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.

18. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.

19. The Death Star plans that are taken from R2 have been updated. When the Rebels are reviewing the Death Star plans they look similar to the plans we see in Attack of the Clones.

20. The Death Star battle is much more epic with more Tie Fighters and more Rebels being blown to bits. We get to see old Naboo starfighters being used by the Rebels.

21. There's a new scene (shot during Episode III) where Darth Vader goes to Coruscant and lands his ship in the same building Count Dooku does at the end of Attack of the Clones. Except now the building is all fixed up and it is now Palpatine's palace. He meets with Palpatine to ask for forgiveness for his failure and inform him of a new potential who is strong in the Force.

22. Chewbacca now gets a medal.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back:
    1. The taun-tauns are now CG.

2. The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.

3. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.

4. The white boxes around space ships have been removed.

5. The slug monster is CG.

6. Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.

7. Yoda's face is now animated in CG allowing more expression of emotions yet his movements remain the same. Also two deleted scenes featuring Yoda instructing Luke have been restored.

8. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca'

13. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    *cries for her brothers lack of a life*

14. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    *hands Raef a cookie* It'll be okay...

Guess we'll know in seven months what is actually on it...there's still time to change things. So who knows what this release of the DVD will include...

15. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    Call me a heretic, but I like quite a few of those supposed changes. Especially if Han shoots first! I guess I'm just an eye candy junky.

Besides, those changes are a fanboy/girl's wish list, and probably will never happen.

-K

16. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, this one is scary.

clickie

Shoot me. Now.

Ow!

17. Matrix-Jedi

Oct 19, 2003
    *snicker* That was funny.