Provo September activity, Wed. Sep. 26, 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MiaTieska, Aug 25, 2007.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    What: Bring one or two of your favorite games
    Day: Wed., Sep. 26
    Time: 7:30 pm
    Place: Mia's place, PM me for address & directions (please note that I did move in April and I no longer live near Ish)

-Mia
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Go to a nursing home and read them scary fanfics for a few hours to brighten their day? :)
  3. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    o_O Scary will brighten their day? ;)

-Mia
  4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
  5. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

I've got two ideas:

the first, a lightsaber duel for charity-

1) We contact a local charity and ask to do this activity for them

2) We then set up two booths, a light side booth and a dark side booth (I was thinking BYU campus as a possible location for both the booths and the duel)

3) Whichever booth brings in the most money determines which side will win the duel, which will be choreographed for safety purposes.

4) At the end of the duel, we present a representative of the charity with the money so people know we didn't just take off with it.

5) We go home feeling all warm and fuzzy inside

The second: A white elephant auction for charity with a lightsaber duel (or duels) for entertainment

I assume we all know what white elephant auctions are, as I've seen them mentioned here before. The duel(s) could be for entertainment, but we could also incorporate the above idea of two tables and whichever table has more money after an hour would determine the winner of the duel(s) which would again be choreographed

or perhaps a live action brainstorming session is in order?
  6. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Hm, this sounds like a great idea! Just a couple of snags we might run into.

I wouldn't recommend BYU as the venue of choice. Um. Biggest problem is you wouldn't imagine their rules for on campus safety (we run into this for LTUE every year). Sure we could try to just set up somewhere and do it, but I wouldn't recommend that, and going through official channels will most likely end us nowhere.

Also, I think everyone in the fanforce might have a saber, but not all of us know how to use them, and more importantly, use them safely. I've seen fans duel with lightsabers before and get hurt, even when people did know what they were doing. Don't want to see that happen.

Maybe something else for charity, though? I do like the setup. It doesn't necessarily have to be fannish based, there's always a lot of those "Walks" or Runs for some cause or another.

-Mia
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Well, we could have an activity in which we pair off and decide on "choreography" for a lightsaber duel, with people who have stage-fighting experience giving advice. Then we could have a kind of "battle of the blades." Then, later, if we felt comfortable, we could use the fund-raiser idea.
  8. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

I think Ish's idea for some basic blade practice is the best solution for safety. Now that i think about it, the fund raiser activity might need to be held off until october, maybe november, depending on how comfortable we are with dueling by then. the key to safely do this is to keep things slow, then gradually build up speed as we gain proficiency.

As for BYU's anal safety regs, I once got stopped by a Campus Cop for wearing a lightsaber hilt i had built from a camera tripod, PVC pipe and duct tape. My robe blew open right as he passed me, he spotted it, and I guess he might have thought i was wearing a pipe bomb, because he gave me a lecture about how i was a danger to myself and homeland security :rolleyes: . So yes, i do understand them, but was figuring they would overlook them in the name of charity... and a demonstartion that we actually know what were doing with the sabers [face_worried][face_praying].

i guess my obsession with doing some public fannish stuff is that i am just about done with my jedi knight costume i've been working on for years and can't wait for halloween to show it off :D(just waiting for the belt and belt clip to arrive in the mail). but just so long as we do something, i'm up for about anything

9. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Actually, I was told I was carrying a dangerous weapon last year when I dressed as Stacey from Pink 5 for Halloween.
  10. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

*groan* what dangerous weapon would that have been?:_|
  11. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    My pink lightsaber. Plastic.
  12. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    :rolleyes: Anything can be a weapon. Pretty soon they're going to start banning pencils and pens from schools. Those are more dangerous than a plastic lightsaber.

-Mia
  13. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Personally, I could do more damage with my laptop than a pencil. I could download a virus onto someone's computer...or smack them over the head with it.
  14. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

So now that we've determined that Ish is a possible ninja (turning common place items as implements of death ;)), should we decide on a date for the activity, then decide on what were doing; or what we're doing, than a date; or something else completely different & random?
  15. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    LOL, all we've determined is that I have stage-fighting training from community theater and 3 years of tae kwon do. Let's try doing something more realistic for a short-term idea.
  16. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

Something easily planned on short notice hmm....your last activity was a movie night accompanied by "drinking games" to my recollection (you're gonna have to tell how those games work ;) ), so that's probably out of the question for the time being... oh! how about we dress up in our SW costumes (here we go again :rolleyes:) as fanfic characters, get together and write a short story about one of the other characters present, so each of us ends up with a story about our SW character written by someone else? in lieu of dressing up, we could just create a character bio sheet and then have someone else write a story involving the character we create. As mentioned earlier, I am an avid costumer :D
  17. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    We've done writing exercises before but we could again. I hate deciding by myself what the activity will be, so I welcome suggestions. Oh, and... most of our activities are planned on short notice. LOL.

As for the costuming, I think there's one of us that may have some really great costumes and that's cause she sews. It sounds like you're looking for something more like a costumed LARP group or SCA thing, which unfortunately, we're not, and we don't really have around here, afaik. :-\ However! You're always more than welcome to come to activities/meetings in costume. :D Just... the rest of us will probably be in... Muggle clothes. Heh.

-Mia
  18. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

a star wars/harry potter crossover...hmm. probably not an original idea though. btw, what book are you on right now?
  19. _JediKnight_ Jedi Master

star 2
    Thats not entirely true. There is the local Garrison (Alpine Garrison) of the 501st Legion. They are really into the costume thing.
  20. _JediKnight_ Jedi Master

star 2
    As for an activity there is always something like star wars trivia. Thats always something easy to plan, though for more people you would have to work something out (I think the trivia game is only for a few players)
  21. jedi_master_boy Jedi Knight

the trivia game can be done with teams, although thats not nearly as fun ;) or we could do elimination, one wrong answer, you're out and new player in, thus rotate until we're tired or have a winner (the longest survivor).

the problem with the 501st is that they only accept imperial characters; no jedi allowed :_|. however, their sister organization, the Rebel Legion, has a local group. trying to track the utah county sw club down is actually how i came across y'all. there were a few members of the Rebel Legion in that club. btw, the final piece of my costume came in the mail today, so after 3 years, the thing is pretty much done [face_dancing].
  22. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, yeah. I often don't think of them when I'm referring to local groups because the Alpine Garrison covers, well, 3 states. I think the closest branch of them might be in Salt Lake? But I have no idea, really. When I say local I mean strictly Provo/Orem due to the usual lack of transportation of students here. :(

A trivia game sounds great. And our Fanforce is only a few people, so it would work out fine. :)

And congrats on finishing your costume! =D=

-Mia
  23. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    Trivia does sound good and we've had fun with board games before. :p
  24. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Way too much fun. There aren't any Jedi skills left. Ever again. We used them all up.

-Mia
  25. _JediKnight_ Jedi Master

star 2
    WOW! I actually came up with an idea for an activity that other people think is a good idea[face_laugh]
    So did we decide on a date for the activity? I don't want to get your hopes up Mia and Ish (since I have said a few times before I could probably make it and didn't) but I now work mornings and almost always have my evenings free. So I am more sure about being able to make it this time than any before.

Oh and another note about the alpine garrison. You are right, the majority of their events take place in the SLC area. Though on occasion they do have some events in the Provo/Orem area (like 2 weeks ago they were at the OWLZ game in orem. And you might get a chance to see a few of them at the BYU homecoming parade next week (dont know if they will be there for sure or not).
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby