main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA September Meeting

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    After talking with Rox and going with the third weekend of month rule, the Meeting will be Saturday September 20th at the Golden Goose

I will call and make the reservation. I'm going to try for a 2PM meet time if that is okay with everyone.

Please post any agenda items you have for the September meeting here.

Edit: The meeting will be at the GREY Goose

AGENDA:

Intro of newest officer

Planning of activities for Oct/Nov (ex: Halloween party, Clone wars priemer on Nov 7th -- okay that idea was swiped from the PSWCA)

Raffle to raise money for SWAP fund.

Post meeting activities:
    Epic Duels
    Book Club
    Chatting about all things SW

2. jangofett219

jangofett219 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    Where is the GOLDEN goose?

3. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Its on Allegheny River Blvd. in Oakmont. There's a link to directions somewhere in a past thread . . .

Yeah, that was helpful. Where are you coming from?

4. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Greencat... I'm fairly certain Jango capitalized "golden" in his post as a gentle ribbing.

Meeting place = "Grey" Goose. Not Golden.

Just trying to help,
    Yours Truly

5. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    [face_blush] How embarassing. Lost a restaurtant has Master Greencat. Been goosed she has been. Silly goose! :D

okay, the meeting has been moved from the Golden Goose to the GREY Goose. ;)

6. jangofett219

May 2, 2003
    I forgive you, gold is much more interesting than gray.

7. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    I had an idea for this upcoming meeting. I've noticed that our meetings have pretty much just turned into bussiness meetings. Back in the day, we all used to talk about Star Wars and the like. and I kow people are bussy now a days and are always on the go, but if anyone has the time, and would like to, how about after we take care of our "business", we all just sit around adn talk or play a game or something. I can bring Epic Duels; we all know how much fun that can be. What do you say?

8. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    great i dea I too have noticed that the meetings have been all buissness

9. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I agree, the meetings do not need to be all business. We're a slimmer group now so let's get back to what made this group fun. I've been thinking for awhile now that we don't really talk Star Wars when we all meet. Certainly playing the games will help bring that about. Maybe we could have someone give the newest book review or (at the sake of sounding like Oprah) have a book club kinda thing where we discuss a SW book. We couuld anounce what book is the book of the month and have til the next meeting to read it, the discuss it after the meeting. Some of us have many of the books and for those that don't the paperbacks are relatively inexpensive and even better if you go to a place like Half-Priced-Books.

Hey at least this way we would definitely have something SW to talk about.

Also, I'd be willing to over up my copy for someone to read if they couldn't get one themselves. Of course they'd have to give it back to me but the offer is there. I've read alot of the stuff and know many of the stories, so I really wouldn't mind doing that.

What do you all think?

Great suggestion ZeroCool!

10. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Sounds like a plan to me . . . I'm always up for the opportunity to play some Epic Duels. We also now have a Sabacc set to play with :)

As for books, if we do that I'd like to suggest we alternate between NJO and Old Republic books. I'd love to do a book club thing (which we have chatted about doing for ages) but i'm not much on NJO. Chatting about Shatterpoint would be much fun . . . or even the latest Dark Horse comics.

11. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    That's cool GC, I'd still like to give a nod to the Lando and Han books as well as any f the "Tales of/from" series.

I think I'd like to stay away from the Young Jedi Knights and X-wing series for now as there are dozens of other (IMO) better written SW books.

What do you think? Also, would you like to read them in Chronological order? I happen to prefer this, just so we can see some character development and aging, but I'm up for switching it up. Just so we can get back to talking about SW.

12. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    I loved the old Han Series (laughs, I did a book report on one of them in 6th grade) and the Lando series was alot of fun to read . . .

Why don't you come up with 4 or 5 titles of possibilities and put up a poll thread. People that are interested in a 'book discussion group' can vote on which one to do first.

We can also bring to the Sept meeting the epic duels sets . . .

13. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Alrighty then, but before I do that, how about a thread first on which era we want to read about to start.

I'll keep it to:
    Republic (anything prequel or older)
    Original Trilogy (anything within relative time to the original movies)
    EU (from just after ROTJ, up to but not including NJO)
    and finally
    NJO

That covers most areas and will keep the choices simple. Based on the poll standings this will determine future months. In otherwords, whichever era has the second most votes that's what era will be read the next month and so on. So every four months we come back to the first era chosen. This way it will likely not get stale since we won't stay on anyone era for too long.

I hope that's okay by everyone else.

Once the poll closes for the era, then we can decide on the book.

Remember folks, the paperbacks are relatively cheap. Your looking at $5-7 new $2-4 used per month for a book, plus being involved in a discussion in which others are reading the same thing. Not a bad investment and gets us back to talking Star Wars.

Here are some suggested topics for disussion about the books we read:
    How well was it written?
    Does it fit into the SW universe(places, technology and so on)?
    Does it fit into the continuity of SW?
    Did you like the sotry overall and what didn't you like?
    What would you have written differently in the book to make it better, if need be?

Okay that's just some things to ponder but can help us get this discussion going when we review the first book.

14. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    how long do the meetings usually last?

15. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    They can go anywhere from 1 1/2 hours up to 4 depending on the agenda and other fun stuff. Since voting is over and things have calmed down with not to much "real-life" stuff happening, the meetings should be of the shorter variety.

if however we addin the board game (Epic Duels) as well as the book club then this of course will add some time. (Especially the game).

That's why we try to plan this at a resonable time, so it still gives folks some time left in the day for whatever.

By all means if you come to a meeting and can't stay for it all, that's okay, come out anyway. Have fun and get to know us.

16. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Please see first post for agenda edits.

17. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    As posted by GC "Planning of activities for Oct/Nov (ex: Halloween party, Clone wars priemer on Nov 7th -- okay that idea was swiped from the PSWCA)"

Don't think of it as a swipe. Remember, we did have a dvd party last year, so this is our November get together and instead of it being a DVD party it's a cartoon party. Hmm, a party that revolves around a three minute cartoon. We'll have to record it and play it over and over again.

OH OH BTW, Em and I will be getting an analog to digital convertor next month or October at the latest, so I'll be able to put things on CD or DVD. I want to do that for the Clone Wars series. Also we have the software now, to make an interactive DVD.

(Which BTW, I may have a surprise for the group for lifeday this year, relating to that, if I have time to complete the "secret" project.)

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    "Don't think of it as a swipe" LOL Sounds like a line Lando might use :D

Hmmm, since the clone war cartoon is only 3 minutes long and we do have precident for Nov DVD parties . . . why don't we pick some 'fanfilms' or pardody films to watch also. . . Like Troops, Space Balls, George Lucas in Love, The Stormie Awards, MTV movie awards (EPI parody and Yoda's acceptance speech) or anything else people might be interested in watching.

I'm willing to host the get together, since my new place is slightly larger than the old apartment.

Also in November, we'll do the drawings for the gift exchange for the Lifeday party, since December we don't really met.

And I'm looking forward to your surprise, Sal. they are always entertaining.

And where is my custom fig???? :p

19. Darth_Agony

Darth_Agony Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I think a halloween party is a great idea.

20. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    we should watch the holiday special hahaha

21. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I should be able to come. Saturdays are so much better for me than Sundays!

22. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I missed the DVD premier party but I will not miss this!

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    just upping this so it doesn't drop off of page one . . .

also, I plan on bringing some stuff in for 'show and tell'

24. jangofett219

May 2, 2003
    What might these show and tell items be?

25. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Mostly odds and ends I picked up on e-bay. An x-wing gas engined model plane, some old books . . . and if I can get it working, a dancing Jar Jar :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.