main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

September Metting---Things that were discussed

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Bravo, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    I think in a debate no one (cept for thse in charge) should tell people to stop giving there opinions. Its awfuly presumptive to try and control a debate. Just because someone can sum up opinions does not mean people cant express them. And who cares how long the thread is? If a thread is a series of small posts or a series of huge posts doesnt matter, its still a thread.

2. Sithis

Sithis Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2005
    you..dont understand....but its soooo much INFO

3. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Just a thought...

anyone notice that "Meeting" is spelled wrong? :p

4. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    well, Sithis, since youre so interested and obviously so committed, , I'm definitely interested in your opinion. [face_plain]

"Words.... too many.

Give.... pictures.... ?"

5. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    So... dont...read..it...
    I actully like to read the opinions of people. Its shows we have smart folks who can think for themselves and make a good point.

Josh--[face_laugh] , your funny

6. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    good. I'm irritated, and trying to make light of it.

I'm, glad youre getting it. ;)

7. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Soooooo... if everyone that was there can give their accounts of what happened.... maybe somewhere in there the real story will mesh together and emerge?

And AHPR is right... it's a Disscusion thread. Disscus - don't keep repeating yourself trying to get your point across. You can say something once (maybe twice) but when you start saying the same thing 4 or 5 times over people stop listening and just get annoyed.

8. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    (Like this:)

"Hey, Ive got an idea!! How does everyone feel about membership dues!!

No?!

How about now?!

How about now?!

Now?!

Who's ready for membership dues?!

Dues?!

Money?!

Hello?

Membership dues.....?

hello?.......

well..... I'll just keep asking."

9. Sithis

Apr 28, 2005
    hmm is there something bothering you AHPR

you seem a wee bit edgy

10. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    oh, these new guys are quick.

:p

I'm going to bed.

11. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    Gee what could we be edgy about? I wonder,hmmm. so far all of you contributins have been:

"So, my synopsis on all the issues brought up and discussed, I think we should STOP HERE as far as them: "

People should not repost their opinions because the thread is too big already as it is

you..dont understand....but its soooo much INFO

hmm is there something bothering you AHPR

you seem a wee bit edgy

Gee, what could we be edgy about? The fact the whole of your contributions havent amounted to what I flushed? maybe.
    This was a good debate before you tried to have us dumb down our answers cuz of a lack of interest in reading. If you dont want to read huge answers click here, it cuts down on reading "so much info".Now If we can get back to the debate at hand I would feel much nicer.

12. Sithis

Apr 28, 2005
    you know I dont think youre acting too respectible AHPR, and you Imperial Birrer
    arent helping by buddying up cheesy jokes with your little friend there.

I have simply said that people should keep their votes and opinions as concise as possible
    and not retell their life story everytime they want to say how much it suck to have noobs in the group

it seems you guys arent doing that much to make this a social group at all now are you

OHH and Bytheway As far as contribution, I was there at THIS meeting, I sat through, I listened
    I commented on the issues, I don't think either of you were there, so I'd better be quiet if I were you.

13. Imperial_Birrer

Jan 10, 2003
    Here we go again.
    Respect is a two lane road. I dont think you showed anyone ANY respect by telling us our answers were to long for you. Here is a clue for life :Intelligence is not always short. This is a very informed group, therefore we fell strongly on subjects. Hence the BIG posts on the BIG issues. And Josh is not "little", he is skinny.

Ands for your info We like having noobs in the groups. It brings in other smart people to help contribute and grow the group. We are all noobs at one time.

As for us "it seems you guys arent doing that much to make this a social group at all now are you" .Well, niether are you by trying to tell ppl how they can post.

Oh and on you little crack about us not being there.gloves off People have lives that sometime make it hard for it to make it to all meetings. Josh ad something to do, and I live over 100 miles down the road from denver.SO it makes it hard for me to attend every meeting.AND DONT YOU DARE ever question our, or anyone else, commitment to the group ever again. 6 months on the boards gives you niether the authority nor the balls to question any member of this group.

14. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    dude. dont try to lecture me about being "responsible".
    I'm trying to make light of something that has quite few people pretty pissed off. If youre offended, maybe you should think about how you walked into a crowded room full of people and started offering your opinion about how we should operate.
    I think THAT is irresponsible.
    Do you even know what youre talking about? Do you know who youre passing judgement on?

I'm guesiing a big fat NO on both those questions.

OOOoooooo. Your first meeting. And you lasted the whole thing.

I'm sooooooo impressed. :p

Get over yourself. Ive been to a lot of meetings and listened to more useless crap than you can imagine.
    YOU JUST GOT HERE.

I'm fine with it, but you could show a little courtesy and respect for the people who have made this group what it is.

Honestly, Sithis - I dont know why new people are so offended at being "new".
    YOU JUST GOT HERE.
    I have no problem with it. I look forward to meeting new people in the RMFF. I have some made GREAT friends here. (Sorry, didnt mean to start telling my life story.)
    But this recent discussion has nothing to do with new or old members. Its just a difference of opinions about how this group should... be.
    As an "older" member, it does seem like a lot of the "newer" members are the ones who want to change things.
    How could that NOT bother me?
    All the sudden, Tim gets a wild hair and a bunch of newbies agree, and then we're talking about fees, and expulsion, and god knows what else.

Honestly. How would you feel?

I come here every day to check in with my friends.
    Now there are rules?

Whatever. All this other new stuff is just... crap to me.
    And yeah, it makes me edgy.

But hopefully, we'll laugh about all of this at the next meeting.

First round is on me. :D

Ok, now I'm really going to bed. :)

LMAO I'm not little, I'm skinny. [face_laugh] Too funny dude.

15. Sithis

Apr 28, 2005
    well thanks for stating your opinion bud,

see you there

16. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    *Stands on CR soapbox*
    Ok calm down everyone.

Deep breath in......
    And let it all out.....

Good?

Sithis, you do realize that everytime the membership dues are brought up, someone gets irritated. And then you usually come back with something about how it's such a great idea and so on. Well, if you really take a look at what people are saying, if you DO collect dues, you have to file for the non-profit status. Trust me, there is alot of red tape you have to go thru to get this to go thru. And alot of people Are Not Happy about this.... and they are making thier points for/against the idea of dues. And well, right now the favor is leaning heavily toards that it's a bad idea. Unfortunatly, alot of these new council ideas and membership dues are not looking good... they are hot points, I understand, but to see that people are getting upset about it, voicing thier opinion, but then having them shoved back in thier face is not making a good impression. It usually makes things worse.

Another thing is these "issues" I keep hearing about. What are they? No one seems to want to talk about them - to air them out, but yet they keep being brought up.

And once again, I stand by AHRP when he said this is a disscussion thread. Ya'll DISSCUSS what happened at the meeting. Not the "I tell you what you want to hear" or "I'll tell you what I Think should happen because it's my opinion" DISSCUS! DEBATE! But remember that it's not a fight, it's a disscusion. Keep it clean and nice please.

And don't be dissin' people if they can't make it to meetings. Zoo wasn't there, Bill wasn't there, Michael wasn't there, Stacy wasn't there... alot of people weren't there because they have lives and more imprortant things to do (work, married live, gas prices SUX!). Sith happens and you can't always live/eat/breath a group. (hell, I'm surprized I'm not burnt out with everything I do) But you can't go around pushing what You think is right on people who weren't there. People have opinions.... it happens! We're human! Others just have to suck it up and deal.

And now AHRP - I agree with you, but honestly, you didn't really need to be so harsh. But I can understand that you and Sithis both are opinionated. I understand that the group means alot to you, but you also need to keep your tempter in check when posting. *I* may be able to pick up the anger/inflections/sarcasm coming across teh internet because I know you... but others may not. Hence the reason for some of this heat I'm sure. N00bie or Oldbie... we're all in this one big sandbox together.

ImpBirr - put the gloves back on, I ain't wanting to write up any reports tonight. You need to calm down too. I know you stick up for your friends, but getting into fights isn't going to help the situation here any. Tuck that sarcasm down a bit. I hear/get it because (again) I know you... others may not see that and take it the wrong way.) Don't make me lock you down for trying to take on a fight.

Everyone needs to realize that there are people where the group may be thier life because they have put time, money, sweat, blood, tears into events/projects. So they tend to feel a little more strongly about certain subjects. I mean, people who worked on the x-wing put out alot of their time and thier own money to make it what it is... and they probably have a little bit stronger bond to the group as a whole and to each other because of that. As for anyone new coming in, trying to pull yourself into that bond without meeting people is like trying to push yourself into somewhere where you shouldn't belong. Trying to make friends and become part of a group Isn't alwasy instinatious. You have to work at relations first. Meet people, become part of a DISCUSSION.... don't pick fights because you believe you are the only one who's right and everyone should listen to you. Respect IS a 2 way street... and with two people pushing from both sides - you get no where... FAST! Don't push yourself on people, and then maybe others will be a little bit

17. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Where is Michael when I need him?

Actually I just got home after 25 hours of travelling from the Mediterranean, i've been on a Cruise Ship, two shuttle busses, an 11.5 hour flight and a another 2.5 hour one and i'm reallly tired.

I'm also really dissappointed, i've just read over this thread and most of the discussion topics were non-topics:

Dues - obviously not doable both legally and by being a part of fan force

Fund for helping out members - a good natured, well meaning idea, but completely impractical as someone would have to run that fund and decide who gets the funds. If anyone would want that job, I wouldn't trust them to have that job.

Council - I was only able to get online two or three times while on the cruise, at $2 a minute!!! And even I was able to get that this was tabled until the December meeting.

The sem-annual organization meeting is an idea with some merit and should be discussed further.

What I am really disappointed in is that these were the things discussed, while we have event that need help NOW! We needed a President NOW, we needed to ratify Jonathan as Treasurer NOW. These positions are needed to help organize the events on our plate.

As far as this thread, the last couple posts are blatant personal attacks and need to stop, they're against TOS and they don't contribute to the discussion.

18. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    There must be something about this month... I have agreed w/ SS AND Obi_W at least twice this month :eek: :p ;)

And to support that opinion...

19. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Holy crap. I'm off the boards for a few hours, and... :eek: (But then, it's probably better for my blood pressure that I missed the fun.)

First off, to address an important point: Imperial_Birr, I beg to differ. AHPR isn't skinny. I think the more appropriate description would be "well built, yet slender". :)

Second. With the exception of our CR or an RA, no one individual can, as far as I know, delare a discussion closed, nor ask/demand people to stop discussing something.

However, this incident does bring up a point: how do we, as a group, wish to handle closing discussion on various proposals? There have been a couple so far (expulsion of members, dues, for example) that seem to be headed on their way out. How do we want to go about a) deciding when to move to finish them off, and b) how do we want to handle doing so? Obviously doing so needs to be a group decision. Are these things (esp the issues mentioned above) that need to be voted on in person, or can we work for an online consensus/vote?

I actually had some thoughts working towards Council positions discussion, but now I'm late for work. Maybe tonight...

20. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    News Flash: FanForces all over the Southwest Region are imploding under their own weight - more at the top of the hour

This CAN and in parts HAS been an intelligent discussion about some of the things the RMFF is facing. Please leave any personal attacks out of the discussion. Please read through ALL of the posts before you post something. Not only will it help you form a more responsible post, but it will also show that you care enough to be informed of others opinions before spouting your own.

Don't get too outta hand, or this'll have to be locked.

21. RavLoc_Vos

RavLoc_Vos Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Hey All

I am posting on this thread for the LAST time. This seriously hurts me in ways I can't even describe. Being as this was the first group I joined upon learning of Star Wars fans like myself in Colorado. This is a disgrace to the group as a whole the discussions and opinions have turned ugly and in NO WAY reflect the people that I have met and come to call friends. I also have Major Issues that I will NOT bring up for the simple fact that it will do no good to anyone. I have come to Love and Respect this group but I CANNOT and will not be part of something that may hurt this group in anyway shape or form. We are better then that and have proved it enough times to quite any discussions to the contrary.

I know that things will always change and that change is hard, but what is happening now is not the way to do it. I am here as always to help out in anyway I can, but for me and mine this discussion is over. I agree with some things and not with others, but until this is decided in way that benefits the group, the point is already dead. My best to everyone for your thoughts and opinions. Lets find a way to settle this, and fast before some permanent damage is done.

Later Days...

22. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    I COMPLETELY DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!!

AHPR is clearly......

LITHE

23. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    COOL! Something I can disagree w/ SS about...

I was thinking more along the lines of Streamlined ;)

24. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I just want to say one thing. I feel, as being at the meeting, personal attacks were made against me and against others who had those ideas at the meeting. Do you know that everytime you bashed me for a idea, in my true helpfulness to just post what was discussed so everyone knows what is going on, you bashed not only me but at least two other veteran members and a few newbies?

I won't mention names, but a few of you have insulted quite a few people that were at the meeting and had these idea.

EXAMPLE---the Emergency Fund idea was brought up by Tim in response to one of our members losing thier homes down South earlier this month. Tim had support on the subject by a few of us, Bevan, Donovan, and myself, as well as a few other people.

Another EXAMPLE---The dues was brought up as a simple way to help pay for stuff and almost everyone in the meeting had put their own idea into the dues. So by attacking me and others by saying that dues are a horrable idea and you'll leave, you've insulted everyone that had an idea in the dues.

The people at the meeting, we got into fights. And for those that were there, we know who we are. But we came together afterwards and had a heck of a time with roller skating and playing bowl. Jeff had the coolest time of throwing gutter balls and he was so cool about. Nick and I were doing the "We're not worthy" dance for our wonderful Birthday girl (as well as trying to be white rappers at the same time :p ) and not to mention Tim and everyone else, we were all bowling really good and having fun.

We ven aquired someone else's fries...so we kind of stole, but oh well. They were there for a while and we hungy. Bevan, Nick, and I made sure those fries disappeared quickly.

We had fun sitting down right after the meeting, Bevan was talking with lightsabers---got his finger stuck in one of them! [face_laugh] Cory, Tim---all of us had a great time talking. I tried to take Jeff's food at one point----not something i will try again. :p We had Tim utterly confused about role playing games and we were talking about banners for the group and everything. And this was when the every six months meeting came up and was liked by a lot of us at the meeting.

Your all taking this way to far, not even looking at the fact that for the two hours of politics, red tape, and yelling at each other, we had four hours of non-stop fun and laughs where we all found a middle ground and had fun! We even joked about stuff we were at each other just a hour before about! :p

So, for everyone that is turning this onto a heated debate and yelling at each other and insulting each other---please shut up. If you want to discuss, find. But please do realize that for those of us at the meeting, we also hads tons of fun and the last thing we want is a bunch of people who weren't at the meeting telling us how things should be according to them and acting like they know everything and those of us at the meeting are all evil for not waiting for them to be at the meeting.

And I do want to thank Sith_Slayer and Cory. Those two were the only two people that thanked me for even posting the ideas of the meeting that were discussed. Thanks to both of you. :)

-Jason
    Fire Fighter/EMT-Basic
    Jackson 105 Fire Department
    "The funny thing about firemen is... Night and day they are always firemen."

25. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002

I see your disagreement....and raise you.....dissenting opinion.

AHPR is most DEFINITELY ....svelte.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.