main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Sequel Trilogy; Good or Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ZeroCool69, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    After reading a story on theforce.net, it got me thinking about the whole sequel idea.

Would it really be a good idea, or would it turn out sour? I mean, I would love to see three more Star Wars movies; to see the galaxy far, far away keep going. But, Lucas has said that after Ep. III, he's done with Star Wars and wants to move on to other projects. Which would mean putting the Star Wars Universe in the the hands of someone new. While after the prequel films some might say this could be a good thing, do we really want someone new medeling around in that universe? And even if the new head honcho is well versed in the story, history, and all, where would they go? Do you follow any of the many EU sources for stories, or do you go your own route, challenging what many people already know happens after ROTJ. There are just so many variables to trip over. But, also, so many different possibilities and oppertunities. The biggest of all(to most every movie company anyways) is the money they could make. Allowing possibly the biggest movie franchise in history to fizzle out, especially after what many to be only mediocur(sp?) films would be foolish.
    I thnk if they got the right people, and followed the right path, a sequel trilogy could work quite well. Even allow a new generation of fans to connect to the story; not by being shown films from 5-10 years ago, but to experience the thrill of a Star Wars opening night for themselves.

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject.
    (Can ya tell I'm trying to get some decent, long lasting conversation going here ;) )

2. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    It's hard to answer. I think it would be outstanding to keep the SW saga going. Yet you point out good points why it wouldnt be as well.

If the SW saga would continue - it would have to be during the NJO timeline, with the invasion of the Vhong (sp?). It would also have to include the participation of Ford, Hammil and Fisher. It would reintroduce the Solo kids, and Mara. Good new characters to introduce. And besides, now they are all old enough to reprise their roles.

I couldnt really see a sequal trilogy be any different. I am sad to see the SW saga finally come to an 'end' but,it would have been great to see it keep going.

3. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    I have to agree w/ Jedi Jacen there. The actors are all too old to take up the roles at the age right after Jedi. Placing in in the NJO time line ofr shortly before it would place the chracters and the actors all around the right age. Plus it would allow for the addition of many newer EU chracters. Or They could take the easy route and make movies based on the books. I would love to see some of the EU books come to life on the big screen.

4. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    i think it might be a bad idea.
    I mean as much as i would love it how can you continue that story with all the EU and stuff. I mean i think it would be best if the story covered the next generation of skywalkers as opposed to continuing with the characters from the original trilogy. The other thing is it might be over kill. No one but uncle george could do them and he doesn't want to. I would love another trilogy but realistically it might not be a good idea.

5. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Do you think Lucas will really need the actual actors by the time he is ready to make the sequels?

6. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I answered this same question just yesterday. Here was my response to that....It's LONGGGGG.

[Start Original message]

I wouldn't mind another trilogy. MORE TOYS.. Seriously though, I'd like the idea of the third trilogy being set several years after the originals. Maybe only have Luke, R2 and 3PO as returning characters. I'm sure Mark Hamill would do it again and the droids are easily redone, even if Anthony Daniels were not available or dare I say dead by the point of the third trilogy. No real need for Han and/or Leia. Maybe a cameom, but that's about it. I DO NOT want to see the VONG! I haven't like the concept of them since I first head of it.

Possibly the third trilogy can revolve around Luke's Jedi Academy, a resurgence in anti-alien sentiments and a new Darth. Possibly one that is an Alien to help bolster the other side of the anti-alien sentiment. Possibly many of Luke's students who are non-human are sucked into the trappings of those feelings and turn to the darkside and Luke and the rest of his students have to not only take down the new Darth but either try to bring back the dark Jedi or slay them. While this is going on, the new Darth is amassing a fleet of starships of varying degree to take Coruscant.

In doing this many of the stories that have been written can be "touched" upon in some manner and at least partially realized on the big screen.

Ep 7: A New Evil
    This sets up the academy and the introduction of a new Darth and the start of anti-alien sentiments. (In fact the new Darth could be fueling the sentiments to his on end. We've known Sith to be manipulative. Hey maybe even a Bothan Sith!) Non-human Jedi leave the order to follow the new Darth. Some lightsabers battles and maybe a couple of small space battles between non-humans and humans. With the culmination of the new Darth Destroying the academy from space. (No planet destruction, but still powerful)

Ep 8: Rise of the Sith
    With the academy gone, the remaining Jedi must band together and come up with a plan to take out the new Darth and find a way to bring back to the light as many of their fallen Jedi as possible. Some non-human Jedi who have not gone over, volunteer to infiltrate the other side. The plan starts to work, but then the new Darth gets wind of the plan (maybe a traitorous Jedi) and take those non-human Jedi prisoner. Part of the rest of the movie revolves around Luke and some other Jedi rescuing them. Coming to a clash between fallen Jedi/good Jedi, Luke and the new Darth-in which Luke is wounded BADLY, and a traitor amoung the group of Jedi sent to infiltrate the bad side. Also while this thread is going on, the Sith fleet is conquering planet after planet and many non-human planets are aligning themselves with the Sith due to long standing persecution from humans. Many battles between New Republic forces and Aliend worlds in space ensue with key victories for the Sith.

Ep 9: The End of an Era
    With Luke near death, and the Jedi on the run from a new Darth ever growing in power the Republic stand on the verge of collapse. Coruscant itself is seeing many battles of human against non-human in it's "streets". The new Darth sees this as an opportunity to unleash a new weapon against the capitol planet and advances his fleet to the city-world. The new weapon is...ready for it...a device that can create small black holes. The new Darth plans on using it against Coruscant, ever ending the human domination of the galaxy.

Luke (acting very much like Obi-wan and Yoda) frailly (is that a word) teaches his remaining students about his past mistakes and how they can conquer them before even making them. These last Jedi now ARMORED (no robes) assemble in new starfighters to blast their way into the Sith fleet and confront the dark Jedi for the last time.

Some non-human worlds that are still part of the Republic are now being fought over, heavily, but the Republic is holding. Slowly while the Sith fleet is advanceing to Coruscant, the Republic is turning the tide and human-friendly alie

7. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    oh, i would be excited, but I really couldn't see people who arn't really into it getting all psyched up about it...I'd LOVE to see the kids and Mara, but when would it take place? NJO time? I kinda hope not....

8. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I don't want to see another one. The focus of the Saga ostensibly is Anakin Skywalker, who is long gone by that point. Sure, you can shift it to the saga of the Skywalkers, but I think you are better to focus on the rise and fall of the Empire coupled with the rise and fall of the Chosen One.

9. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I have mixed feelings about this, but mostly, I think I'm with Shewski. The essential story is complete with the six movies.

10. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    wow that's what i thought this morning (in history because i was sick of hearing about hitler...)and i realized i had forgotten it last night.

But i think a new trilogy could be done similar to the way sal said despite the other two trilogies being about anakin skywalker. I mean look at luke's part in the original trilogy. He was no less important than vader, it seems to me that that trilogy is more his story than vader's (until you take into account the prequel trilogy where yeah the saga is anakin's story)

Had 7 8 and 9 been made before 1 2 and 3 it could maybe have been done

11. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Nah, I agree that by watching 456 you get the idea that the OT is all about the saga of Luke Skywalker. It was only when you got into the PT that you truly see it's all about Anakin, Luke just had an integral role in redeeming him.

*If* they make it so that Anakin was not the chosen one, and they resolve it in the Sequel Trilogy (something like when Luke's son could have to deal with Anakin, the legacy of the false Chosen One) then the movies as a whole would make sense. It would be the saga of the Chosen one/Skywalkers.

I'd rather see a TV series, I guess.

12. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ooh, please no, not a TV series. The Saga would most certainly fall into the depths with the likes of Star Trek.

The mini cartoon is cool, but please no live action. (Look at the Holiday special)

The two Ewok movies were okay, but I can't see a quality weekly show with live action. It certainly wouldn't hold up to the movies. There would be no time to do adequate CG and rotoscoping, etc.

I guess if I had to choose between another trilogy with the promise of a live-action series OR no more SW after EPIII, I'd go with the latter. Let these stand the test of time and not be watered down by television.

Just my opinion though.

(Though it would be real hard for me to stay away, no matter what is developed in the future be it movies or TV.)

13. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm all for a TV series and/or new movies, with two conditions:
    *No more Skywalker saga.
    *No more Lucas directing. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death. He can have whatever involvement he wants, no directing.

By breaking away from the Saga and major characters, this would open whole new worlds. There could be a few "main characters" around which the stories would revolve. Story arcs could complete in 6-8 shows (like a mini-series) and then move on to new characters. This would also allow the possibility of stories set in different eras. Plus, with this approach, a new director could helm the series for each story arc.
    Or something like Rogue Squadron would be great. Anyone old enough to remember Black Sheep Sqadron? :) Ok, how about Space: Above and Beyond?
    Movies? Whew! There's a whole galaxy out there, let's meet some of the other people in it! Obviously, this would be a gamble in that there would be no connection to the existing movies, but it could be turned into a success.

14. jangofett219

jangofett219 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2003
    Hmm...I do like the "Galaxy According to Sal" trilogy. But I have been thinking about this for a long time.

[Blurry fade to my thoughts]

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
    (skip the theme song and scrolling intro)

Jedi are graduating from Skywalker Academy. Overseeing and hosting the graduation is the New Jedi Council
    (based off of a certain group of fans from a certain group who were lucky enough to have their fantasized charactes put in by request of the lucky get your own Star Wars series contest OK IM GETTING OFF TOPIC)
    They graduate, there is happiness, the 3 students (long story, 6th grade memories) are Immedeately placed into the Jedi council.

10 Years Later
    (Now we have the theme song and scrolling text)

Star Wars
    Episode Something
    Something of the Something
    Blah Blah Blah....

The real excitement starts with terrorist attaks by space pirates under the influence of a mysterious Sith Lord. Computer Viruses spread all across the galaxy to deliver a small proverb from the newly discovered continuation of the Jedi prophecy.
    "The fall of the Jedi will cometh upon the removal of the chosen sibling"
    Jedi Master Josh Oji and his Jedi buddies take off to a swoop race on Bespin where young Anathan Oji is taking first place...followed by Bounty Hunters! The young boy is rescued by his big brother, the Jedi Grandmaster, disguised in his Mandalorion armor. There are more disturbances, and then there is a battle on Sullust, the now immensely volcanic planet. The sith made an army by brainwashing the majority of Sullust and making them slaves. There is no help for them. Ther remaining civilians are evacuated and the heroes fly down the main volcano to bravely trigger an eruption to wipe out the brainwashed soldiers.

Like that's ever going to happen.
    But my biggest worry is that after Episode 3, that's the end. No more premires (If I spelled that right. No more numbered Celebrations. No more. It will be up to fans like us to keep the saga alive. It is hard to get someone obsessed without a new movie.
    My Biography: Seen ANH many times through my childhood. Was afraid of the probe droids in ESB so I hadn't continued watching until EP 1. I Liked it, so I went out and bought two Obi Wan lightsabers.
    Then AOTC came out and I was obsessed. I played with my friends at lunch time when we ruled a galaxy of our own. Then I decided to be Jango Fett for Halloween. My original costume was just a blue sweatsuit and a gray hockey hest with armor rivoted to the chest. But one thing has stayed the same. The Helmet. The one that I waited three months for and thought my mom was tricked out of her money. Over time My costume Improved, and then I decided to go to a convention. The 2003 Pittsburgh Comicon. There I discovered SWAP and joined.

That was long. I just Waisted a huge chunk of your time.

15. RebelDawn

RebelDawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    I would love to see the star wars universe continue. But I think I would want George Lucas involved. I don't think anyone could do the star wars universe quite like George. But it would have to contain the original cast members or I would be sorely disappointed (shame on sal for saying it didn't need HAN SOLO <gasp!!>) and I wouldn't mind if it followed some of the EU stuff (seeing as how I do read the stuff ;) )

And that is my take on this whole thing :D

16. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    If they're smart (and we all know if it's one thing LFL excells at, it's merchandising) they'll keep having Celebrations every few years.
    The could keep having them for movie anniversaries :)

17. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Actually word is that there WILL be more Celebrations after CIII. Just because there will be no more movies didn't mean the promoters of the convention were going to stop. I too hope that it's only a "Anniversary" type thing. Basically every year ending in 7, 9, 0, 2, 3, and 5 to commemorate the original release of the Movies.

1977 Star Wars
    1999 Phantom Menace
    1980 Empire Stikes Back
    2002 Attack of the Clones
    1983 Return of the Jedi
    2005 Episode III

This gives a break in some years.

Or at the very least every 5 years. My preference being years ending in 7 and 2. Mostly because of the original Star Wars being released in 1977.

I certainly don't want to see it every year as it would eventually diminish the saga. Even the 6 years I mentioned above would pobably only be good for the first 10 years after Episode III, then go to the every 5 years thing.

About the TV show if it were ever to happen - I'd have to agree that I'd like to see someone else direct those. And more real sets. Recall that Empire and Jedi were directed by others and many fans regard Empire as the best in the Original Trilogy.
    Shoot, I guess I could say that I'd be happy with a mini series kindof thing. Every year we could get a series of 6 shows or so. This would give plenty of time for special effects.

Hmmm, so I guess in certain situations, I'd be open to a TV show. They'd really have to be high quality though. Anything even remotely close to the holiday special, and you can forget it...

18. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah, my idea for the TV show would be of the vein of the "Tales" series of books, where they take bit characters from the movies and enlarge their stories. They have the costumes still most likely...

Anyways, maybe a miniseries would lend itself better than a weekly show. I dunno!

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    A TV show would never work. It would be too expensive for the ratings they need to pull in.

20. Stina-Cri

May 18, 2002
    it could be like taken....and then they could re run it!!!!

21. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I always thought a show called "Empire" based on the lives of the crew of a Star Destroyer would be cool.

22. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    That would border Trek too much.

Crew aboard a space vessel...

I'd rather see one about Jedi Knights.

Maybe one called "The Purge". Or "Star Wars: The Purge" or Jedi Knight: The Purge. Something along those lines.

It could run for sometime and follow the story of one or two main Jedi (Quinlan Vos/Aayla Secura? Someone else entirely new?) after Episode III. Episodes would show Jedi dying at the hands of the Empire. Although I don't think Vader should make an appearance....until the last episode, whereby he would kill the main character(s). We could see some of our favorite Jedi who (hopefully) make it through EPIII. (I do know some of our favorites will no longer be with us after EPIII, but I won't say who so as to not spoil anyone.)

I'd definitely watch that!

There could even be a chance meeting with Ewan McGregor as Obi-wan! That would be awesome! Especially to see him as his older self (40's or so) between the time of EPIII and Star Wars:ANH.

23. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Loved the possible story lines, Sal and Jango. You guys should consider writing those up as AU stories . . .

I would like to see a third set of sequels, just because I want more movies. However, I think the novels have pretty much covered what happens after ROTJ.

For 7, 8, and 9 I think it would be cool it the story line jumped a couple of generations into the future. Sticking with the Skywalker family theme, how about Ben's kids or grandkids. I've got no story line to offer, though . . .

A tv series based on Rogue Squadrin books, similar to Space: Above and Beyond would be very neat. I loved S:A&B, I think it never really got a fair chance (time slot kept changing, sunday nights. Sigh. Pity SciFi network didn't pick it up to keep it going)

Take a chance ;)

24. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

I'd really rather not see a sequel film trilogy. I can't imagine George would ever greenlight one in his lifetime, and the idea of there existing Star Wars flicks that lack any of his creative input simply disturbs me.

I kind of liked the idea of a "Rogue Squadron" TV show. I liked "Space: Above and Beyond" when it was on, too. (Anyone else notice when they clearly ran out of budget and started having the characters embark upon primarily land-based missions?)

However, I'd swap "Wraith Squadron" in place of "Rogue Squadron" as the subject of the show, though. I'm of the opinion the characters/situations in that particular subset of the novels would make for far more entertaining television, since the cast would be more of an ensemble. (And it could almost be like "Oz" or "The Sopranos" where there's a distinct possibility your favorite character will die next week!)

I liked Shewski's "Tales" suggestion, too. You could have some fun with that. Each season, pick another SW-based locality, and then just have every episode be centered around a different character who frequents that locality. The different stories could intertwine from week to week, and there could even be a larger story arc that every character contributes to in their own special way. I'd watch that.

Doesn't watch much TV anymore,
    Yours Truly

25. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    "(I do know some of our favorites will no longer be with us after EPIII, but I won't say who so as to not spoil anyone.)"
    Umm...I think it's safe to say we all know Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin will live ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.