main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy or NJO story, which was the better choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    He says as things that are probably just as disturbing were aired in TCW on Cartoon Network. Yes, that's some sublime logic right there.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Ay, yes. I fondly remember that one time Cartoon Network showed Chowder getting murdered by an extragalactic aliens. I think it was the Christmas episode.

Ender Sai and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Amen & amen. [face_dancing] =D= =D= Agree also with ForceSmuggler
    The ST trilogy didn't do fair by L/H or Luke. In the NJO, the Jedi as a group were stronger and able to make a difference. In the ST, they were like obliterated like in a second Purge. :eek:

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    In terms of which one should have gone up on screen? The Sequel Trilogy all the way. Doing an NJO adaptation would have pleased nobody; the wider audience wouldn't care for it or understand all the necessary backstory (and the Vong hardly scream classic Star Wars anyway), and the hardcore fans would hate whatever changes would be necessary to make the series work as a movie trilogy. Plus the movies would then overwrite the books, so you'd be losing the originals either way. Pointless.

NJO had some good stuff (although really, if we're talking about Luke's New Jedi Order, I'd prefer to see him establishing it rather than watching it crumble in the NJO. But blame the fact that we didn't get Episode VII in 1986 when the Big Three were the right age to be telling those sorts of stories. Hamill's age necessitates his Obi-Wan-in-exile role from the Sequels).

BigAl6ft6 and Stymi like this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I prefer to pretend Luke's story ended at Vision of the Future. :p

On-topic, while I hate a lot of what NJO did (much less the post-NJO novels, which are far worse), I still find it preferable to the sequel trilogy. TFA tried too much to be part-reboot, rip-off and mysterious for the sake of being mysterious, story and design wise.

Its not really a fair comparison at the moment, given TUF made up for a lot of what the NJO messed up and we've still got two more movies to endure, er, watch (please don't end up like the Hobbit movies), but I really doubt VIII or IX can make up for VII.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @};- Vision of the Future [face_love] Yuppers, when the OTP of the EU finally got their act together and got together. :D
    (Zahn is the guy with the mostest when it comes to conceiving plots and characters.) ^:)^

Jedi Ben and DARTH_MU like this.
  8. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes! Yes! Yes!
    More Zahn.
    Timothy Zahn for screen writer for Episode 8 and 9!

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh. I could not contain my BLISS! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] Wouldn't even try.

10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    The whole idea of this topic doesn't work well given that they are within two separate mediums (also considering the ST is only 33% complete) and it is just screaming of a topic created so EU fans can have another avenue to bash current Star Wars.

In anycase the ST works better as a series of movies and the NJO probably works better as a long novel series.

About the only thing that should be compared between the two is the overall premise. With that the ST premise about a reformed Empire battling the New Republic works better for movie goers. If movie goers read the premise of the NJO they would probably get themselves sick from laughing so hard that they wouldn't be able to make it to the movie theater anyway. People have already tried to watch movies about alien invasions and most of them suck. Oh and just to make these alien invaders look all that much tougher we are conveniently going to make them immune to the jedi's ultimate weapon. You know kind of like how our atomic bombs didn't work on the aliens in Independence Day.

11. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Independence day sucked?

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Independence Day was visual candy heavy but extremely light on story. Makes a whole lot of sense that an alien race (so technologically powerful that they could travel the galaxy conquering planets) can be defeated because they don't have updated computer virus protection doesn't it?

Independence Day worked at the time because it was when movies were really first starting to put high tech graphics into their films. That kind of film wouldn't work these days though and the latest Independence Day pretty much proved that. Films need to now have just as good of story as they do visuals to really impress people these days.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Independence Day. Still watch it every year.

As far as whether the Vong could work on the big screen, I've seen some art of Nom Von Anor that scared the hell out of me. Which I think is the point. And I think an anti-technology religious zealot group of villains would work just as well as a self-centered radicalized emo with a Great-Oz-type boss.

It does depend on the type of villain the viewer is looking for, a villain who can't get its **** together, or a villain with a well-defined mission that they're willing to die for.

That said though, there is much of the NJO that would not translate well on screen. Just eliminate Balance Point and the Force Heretic trilogy. And unfortunately...Traitor. The exposition there works better in a book.

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Another big problem in trying to bring a NJO type of story to the big screen would be in how believable would it be that a galaxy ravaged by war and oppression could fend off an invading force like the Vong just twenty some years after the war ended. Keep in mind also that they would be trying to tell this story after the PT had been made where Lucas pretty much changed the game on Jedi training (making it more of a life long process instead of just a few year process like was depicted with Luke in the OT). Having anything more than a handful of Jedi around at that point wouldn't be that believable.

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    jamminjedi23

In real life there are many countries which were able to fend off foreign invasions after only a few years after "ravaged by (civil) war".

16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    It's really hard to say with only one movie of the ST out.

But TFA did some of the things the NJO did. TFA had Han and Leia seperate, kinda like the early NJO when Han was sad and doing his own thing for those few books. TFA started by killing a major character, though Han is more major than Chewie. The NJO killed a lot of Jedi, in TFA the Jedi were dead before the action starts, but they're both built on a pile of Jedi corpses.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes but we are talking about an alien invasion force capable of coming from an entirely different galaxy to conquer worlds and the new galaxy as a whole. Quite a bit different than what still isn't much different than tribal warfare that we see in real life.

18. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    *head desk*

19. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Guys, you are welcomed to take this discussion in any direction. But probably the focal point of my meaning, (though I probably didn't communicate it well) is that let alone the story content comparison, is the premise of a story involving Luke's New Jedi Order a better idea than having a story with no NJO at all? There probably won't be time to build one up in just two movies and it's unlikely we will see Luke on screen again after IX. Does this make anyone feel....I don't know.....slighted?

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Hell yeah.

I want to read about Luke's Jedi Order like everything they did matters. I want them to have a future. Happiness, Friends, Perhaps a Family and children. Just like Jacen denied Nelani Dinn. Disney with the Episode 7 denied us (Or should I say the EU characters) Their future.

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    The new canon will likely have their New Jedi Order stories post ST. I would imagine this is the direction they are headed. Luke and Rey will start the first significant acadamy after the events of the ST. With Luke dying off sometime inbetween this trilogy and the next.

22. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The ST is a soft reboot of the OT. Disney couldn't get away with actually rebooting ANH-ROTJ(at least not yet) so it was a "sequel trilogy". A sequel trilogy that just so happens to follow the OT nearly letter for letter.

And I do concur with the analogy Disney acted like Jacen in Betrayal impaling the EU's future for its own. Thinking of that scene and the reboot-they go so well together.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    You are jumping the gun with that statement a bit. TFA was a beat for beat retelling of ANH. We don't know how similar the next two movies are going to be to Ep. V and VI. Sure there will be some similarities but trying to call the whole ST a retelling at this point is just people attempting to bash the ST.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yep. 30 years and what does Luke have to show for it? No Jedi, and he'll probably die of old age or something and then it'll be Rey's Jedi Order. She's an... ok character so far, but still disappointed by how little there is to show for RotJ's happy ending in nu-canon. At least NJO was built on the Bantam years which built on RotJ (even if a lot of what NJO and post-NJO did was just tear down and kill off Bantam characters for angst).

And will having an off-screen NJO matter when they start Episode X with "All the Jedi died of food poisoning and now the galaxy is in darkness again"? Every other source will always be below the movies themselves in priority, and with it quite possible that Disney will keep Episode movies going past IX, there might not be any point to having significant stuff happen in books or comics when the next movie will override that.

25. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah if they continue beyond nine it will pointless to read the books-they will be continually overridden.