main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy or NJO story, which was the better choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Not necessarily. It will be interesting how they go about doing post ST stories but with the job they have been doing so far with the new canon they deserve the benefit of the doubt. They have been doing a great job handling all the different mediums so far and they likely have a plan for how they will handle things after the ST as well. I know you don't like Star Wars much anymore but they have indeed been doing an extremely good job with canon for those who are willing to accept that the old EU doesn't exist in this new timeline.

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I admire your optimism.

AusStig likes this.
  3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This isn't really a new problem, or even Disney problem. When the prequels started up the EU had to adjust to everything the prequels added or changed. Most eras just rolled with it (certain eras even ripped off too much of the prequel aesthetic, like the Old Republic).

TFA wasn't a good start to new canon since it was at once both been there, done that in terms of being ANH redone, but also having little substance as so much of the previous 30 years and so much background has been left blank. Now there's keeping things from being spoiled, but haven't been impressed with what they've been doing so far.

This is really, really far off, but it depends on if they want each new Episode/trilogy to upstage the previous one and reset everything or not. That's what TFA did and still not happy about it.

4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

And at this point your negativity and bitterness is rooted more in the fact that the EU was discontinued than it is in anything the new canon has actually done wrong.

5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    First, is there something wrong for being "bitter" about the EU being discontinued? I, at least, had to ignore people everywhere saying Tie in books are inferior to real scifi books. I told myself that SW was real scifi because its books was canon. Everything in the books had consequences for the next one. If you think about it, there is no guarantee that in, let's say, 10 years where the Disney says, yep, the books from 2014 on is not Canon. Here's what's really canon. Those moves? They are not canonl.

Second, the new canon did do things wrong. They are using Journal to the next movie. That' s wrong. You seen the movie. Everything in between the movies are useless (for me, at least)

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    That is more your personal distaste for the new stuff than it doing anything wrong that turned off the fanbase overall. They have been very successful in winning over the vast majority of the fan base. Even the majority of the former EU fans. Disney and Lucasfilm has without a doubt done far more right in most people's eyes. Of course there will always be those few that will never be happy and there is nothing to do about them. As what they want to see just isn't in line with what the current long term plans are for the future.

As far as there being another reboot. Sure there is always that possibility at some point down the line. However like most EU fans view it now it really isn't that big of a deal as it's not like they are taking your books from you. If you like what comes after great. If you don't then there are plenty of other franchises to turn your attention to. Fictional universes are nothing to lose sleep over.

7. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Where is their proof that they successfully won over majority of the fan base?

I could say Martians took over the earth in 2000. That does not make it true.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    For me, it's not about the bitterness but it's the Cato the Elder quality to it.

"Hi, guys, did you see the news about the TLJ? By the way, the EU is gone and I hate everything in the new canon."

"Lost Stars was great but the EU is gone and I hate everything in the new canon."

o_O

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    They're selling more of the new books than the EU.

Also, most people seem happy here.

10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Look at how well the books are doing where virtually every release gets into the NYTimes best seller list now. Look at how well the comics are doing. They wouldn't be getting those types of numbers unless they won over a good number of people who used to read the old EU.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    NYT bestseller lists really aren't that good an indication after all Invincible and at least FOTJ novels got on it.

SpecForce Trooper and Zeta1127 like this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Your just thinking of how people liked them. FOTJ still sold pretty well. Most of the new canon books have been received well accept for the first Aftermath book.

13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I find the Vong far superior as villains compared to the First Order. The Vong convey a sense of dread. They may be my favorite villains as they stand out as truly intimidating. The First Order are a joke. The trench run scene had no tension at all. When facing Stormtroopers, the viewer feels no fear. Why should they? It's all been done before! Death Stars have been proven to be easily overcome. Starkiller Base doesn't frighten the audience because it's vulnerabilities are well known. The Stormtroopers are no threat as thousands have already been killed before. This is what I hated about the EU. An over-reliance on Imperials as villains. The First Order is uninteresting and non-threatening because we've already seen it. We know Stormtroopers can't do crap. We know TIE fighters can't do crap. We know Death Stars have weak spots. Even Kylo Ren nearly fell to a janitor. You think I'm going to consider him a threat come December? The Vong were completely new. They were dangerous. They nearly won. They could've won. They inspired fear because we knew they were capable. The First Order doesn't inspire fear because we've known Imperials were incompetent since the goddang seventies!

14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    C19.

You were here. In this board alone you launched two successful Round Robins, had around ten authors each. With many others clamoring wanting to join.

Where are those happy fans now?

Where is everyone?

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

Hear! Hear!

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Moved on?

17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes they did. And why?

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Shedao Shai had a torture fetish thing going on, Mezhan Kwaad had the experimenting heresy thing going on, Onimi had the court jester mastermind pulling the strings from behind the scenes thing, Nom Anor was trying to advance up the ranks of the Yuuzhan Vong Elite at any cost even jumpstarting the Shamed One movement into high gear, Czulkang Lah was the experienced old commander, Tsavong Lah was a berserker commander, Malik Carr wanted to see Juder Page on a funeral pyre before a rotation of Yuuzhan'tar or whatever it was. The way they destroyed planets.
    Much more engaging than the FO imo.

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah the Vong had individual characters and were very dynamic.

20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Charlemagne19

In your Cato the elder imitation, you forgot delenda est carthago. :p

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  21. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    It's still early, as the ST is far from complete, but so far my choice is easily NJO. And I agree that the First Order is a joke. I couldn't take any of those guys(Kylo, Snoke, Hux, Phasma) seriously. Maybe TLJ will convince me that they're a worthwhile threat, who knows? But I'm not holding my breath.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
  23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The negativity here is pretty incredible.

People disregarding a canon completely after three years when the last one had, like, 30+.

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Because fictional universes aren't worth losing sleep over. I'm sure some of those people though are the ones who helped make up those facebook groups.

Outsourced it is pretty mild these days. Most of the people who weren't accepting of the EU ending have either completely left or post very little any longer.

25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Personally speaking, I'm not disregarding the NuCanon. I love Rogue One and I'm excited about the beginning of the BF2 campaign. It's more to do with the post-RotJ era. It was a turn-off for many fans. I don't see why people would disregard the pre-RotJ NuCanon material as it functions the same as the EU. With the Post-RotJ there is a distinctive split in the timelines, so fans of the old material wouldn't be invested in stories after that split.