main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy or NJO story, which was the better choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    From what I have seen is that the post ROTJ time period (especially the Del-Rey era) was a very divisive time period within legends. Some people really liked it while others felt it was so bad that they were willing to quit reading Star Wars books completely because of it. The people that really liked the post ROTJ legends time period seem to be the ones who have the biggest problem with the reboot. While the ones that either didn't like it or were ho-hum about it were the ones that were cheering for the news that it was now officially being deemed non canon.

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The anti NJO people(I'm one of the anti NJO people, but I think DNT is the best thing since sliced bread)), or the anti FOTJ people wanted those books gone. They hated those book so much they wrote fanfiction, NJO AU with bugs to get away from the real NJO.

Then Disney NuCanon happened.

And I, for one, want NJO back.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The reboot was supposed to wipe out all of the bad of the EU but we jumped from the fire back into the fire? How does that make sense?

4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    It would make more sense if you explained what you meant.

5. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Things were cracking, going to a direction we didn't want. We cheered a potential reboot. I cheered the potential reboot. A reboot that does not ,mean getting rid of everything, making a whole series non canon
    We avoided the fire that was starting post FOTJ, moved across town, into a mansion with a fire already started (TFA, 10 kid books/1 adult book, 30 ABY)

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not quite sure what the others are referring to, but my opinion/guess- I didn't like evil Jacen the first time, and I like him even less the second time. They reboot things and it ends up looking like the worst parts of the post-NJO stories- evil Solo kid, useless New Republic, Jedi all gone, Luke not doing anything, Empire a major power again (partially due to incompetent New Republic).

I expect the ST will have a happy ending, but not happy with how sudden the downer beginning is. And while there have been good nuEU books, none of them really use anything unique to the nuEU so it doesn't feel like it was worth it.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Contrary to what a few people want to say on here there is really a lot of excitement about the post ROTJ period in canon. What Rey's backstory is, what all Luke got up to after Jedi, how the destruction of his temple came about, how the FO formed, when and how Snoke came into the picture, etc...etc....There is an absolute ton of potential that they can spend years delving into. And they will spend years delving into all those topics. If you don't think there is a lot of excitement about that period in canon you basically have to close yourself off from everything other than the sites and youtube channels that strictly want to bash Disney.

I

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You've generalised too much Jammin - it was nowhere near quite that cut and dried except perhaps with Denning 2005-2014, but even in that era there were books done that people care greatly about - Darth Plaguies and Kenobi to name two. Similarly, even when NJO was running, there were the PT books that ended up as the Reaves and Luceno verses respectively.

Many were the fans so cheesed off by the reboot that they moved on, others decided to vent about it for a really long time, others gave the new canon a go while retaining their liking for the old material.

Although, where post-ROTJ and the new material is concerned, there first needs to be some!

9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Why would I be excited about old, ancient history in a fictional universe? If I want to read history (I am a history fan), I read real life history. I want to know what happens next in SW, not before. I want to know if the new new NJO can take on the Yuuzhan Vong, I dont' want to read about how KOR killed the new NJO. I want to read about Tahiri's kid as she struggle against the Dark Side and maybe prevail, I don't want to read about how Tahiri got shaped when I know before hand she's half Vong.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yikes, this thread is now officially giving me a headache.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You're reading posts you shouldn't be, aren't you Al?

Daneira, BigAl6ft6 and DARTH_MU like this.
  12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You are aware of what a reboot is, right?

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016

We wouldn't be having this conversation if we weren't.

14. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Coruscant delenda est.

AusStig and Charlemagne19 like this.
  15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Look at Spiderman.

They rebooted him a million times and there is always be a Mary Jane, a Aunt May, an Uncle Ben.

Can you imagine what spiderman fans would do if you suddenly said, nope, Uncle Ben lives now, it's Mary Jane who got shot, and Aunt May is the green goblin?

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Thankfully Star Wars isn't the same sort of franchise as comic book characters such as Spider Man. And I hope it remains that way.

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I imagine they'd be pretty upset.

Good thing your metaphor has no relation to the actual debate.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm with SpecForce Trooper in that there is plenty I like about the NuCanon. Rogue One is a movie I can watch over and over again without getting tired of it, and I have liked almost all of the Disney-era books.

But the question was about the NJO, and the NJO was, in many ways, better than TFA. Not every way--as I said, it seriously lacks a Finn--but in many ways.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    we are debating if the NJO had a better story than the TFA.

I say NJO is better.

Then people say TFA is better. Because the Disney Universe is better.

Then I say NJO with its old EU is better.

Finally people say give it a rest, old SW EU is gone. Give it up.

Then I say telling people SW EU is non canon is a mistake.

Finally some people say we are not debating Disney vs old EU, we are not debating with you.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I disagree. NJO was completely divorced from Star Wars. It was edgy, contrived, and featured our favorite characters either dying pointlessly, or twisted into something they aren't.

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    [​IMG]

:)

Outsourced and DARTH_MU like this.
  22. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Considering Spider-Gwen is winning awards...

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I disagree wholeheartedly.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I feel like the Sequel Trilogy works better for a number of reasons.

1. The Original Trilogy characters competed with the younglings for the top spot in NJO but here they got to make a break while also paying homage.

2. The Vong are too far removed from Star Wars lessons on the fact they're evil HUMANS not evil aliens.

3. A bunch of evil refugees who have an evil religion and are savages who need to die is not the message we need for 2017.

4. The Vong are one-dimensionally evil for 90% of the books.

5. Kylo Ren has a much better set up as an evil Son of Han and Leia than Jacen Solo.

6. Rey has a very clear role as THE HEROINE of the series.

7. More diversity in characters.

8. The NJO overshadowed the Muggles to the point of their non-existence.

9. The First Order is the Imperial Remnant and the IR has always been superior to the Vong.

10. Organic technology isn't something which works very well in Star Wars.

11. The idea of a race immune to the Force is antithetical to its more mystical elements.

12. The trilogy of trilogies has a strong focus on democracy. That would not be the case with the Vong.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I am so sorry but I don't feel that way.

1. The NJO has a better story period.

2. Jacen Solo is a much much better character and I'm not just saying that because I am a Jacen fan.

3. I don't like Rey.

4. Muggles-they don't shape history in Star Wars force users do.

5. Traitor will never be beaten in terms of depth-the ST isn't fit to shine its shoes.

6. Han and Leia stay together.

7. The NJO has unique, interesting, and dynamic villains that aren't imperials with the stereotypical habits and behavior as millennials.

8. The NJO is really the story of the Vong's redemption and Jacen's story.

9. Nom Anor is a much better villain individually than any ST one.

10. TUF will never be beaten in terms of awesomeness and satisfying ending.

11. The ST is a soft OT reboot.

12. Organic technology is fine it is science fantasy after all.

In summary the NJO is better.