main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy or NJO story, which was the better choice?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, Jul 17, 2017.

1. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'd take a DIFFERENT story any day over the same old tired cliches and downright rip-offs present in TFA. The NJO was interesting and new.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    No it wasn't. The NJO was made at a time when alien invasion stories were all the rage. The NJO was just Star Wars attempt at putting in their own alien invasion story.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    My response?

[​IMG]

AusStig likes this.
  4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    So TFA is just a attempt to cash on the reboot craze?

Charlemagne19

They were. They didn't let him have a gf.

Seriously though. NJO, specifically the Edge of Victory duology needs to be purged again and again for what it did to Tahiri. It's true. But TFA? It was EOV Conquest on steroids.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Another series around the same time did the same plot with alien genocidal raiders and religious fundamentalists much better.

[​IMG]

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Contrary to most people who post here, I would say most people who bought LOTF and FOTJ liked the books.

I did. A lot. But I was only in the minority here.

The TFN boards are not a good representative sampling.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Darth_Duck and DARTH_MU like this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016

"Then you are lost."

Anedon likes this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Well played.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    No. TFA was an effort to bring the 'fun' back into Star Wars after many movie goers were disillusioned a bit by the prequels.

10. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    This is a difficult question to answer since we have only seen the first installment of the ST. However, I think I'd prefer the ST. I did enjoy the NJO, but the ST is more thematically appropriate and fits better with the rest of the saga. The OT is central to the saga and so it needs to inform the conflict in the saga films. The main conflict in the OT was the Rebellion versus the Empire and Luke's quest to restore the Jedi. The PT went back and showed the origin of what we saw in the OT. Now the ST goes forward and shows the aftermath of the OT. Having the FO resemble the Empire is appropriate for this because the antagonists and eras should reflect each other. While the FO is not the Empire, it is a remnant of it due to being composed of surviving Imperial soldiers and former NR senators with Imperial sympathies. The Bantam era EU did the same thing with the Imperial Remnant. The ST just moved up the conflict 29 years. Since Star Wars is a film franchise it is appropriate to resolve this on screen. Plus it really does fit well with the other two trilogies. In the PT we see how the Republic army is twisted to become an instrument of authoritarianism. Now in the ST we see how the Empire's army evolved into a new sort of evil. The Empire was very influential and so it is logical that its influence is still being felt. Having a completely different antagonist would have resulted in the ST feeling disconnected from the rest of the saga. While doing so would have been interesting, it would have been a bad way to tell a multiple installment saga. For the films to form one story, they need to be connected.

The ST also allows for the restoration of the Jedi Order to occur on screen. While it would have been cool to see a new order, having the order form on screen is a more thematically appropriate decision. Jedi are central to the saga and having their restoration brushed over would have been a mistake.

In addition, I'm very much enjoying the NEU that was formed due to the new films. The way the story is being told is superior and more complex than in Legends.

I do disagree with the accusation that TFA was a rehash of the OT. It definitely resembled ANH on a surface level, but other than that they were quite different. Rey, Fin, and Poe are very different characters than Han, Luke, and Leia. This makes a large difference in how the events of the story proceed and how they impact the audience. Rey's rejection of the heroic call to action is an important example of this. Anakin and Luke eagerly accept their opportunities to become a hero, whereas Rey refuses until the very end. She doesn't want to be heroic, she just wants to find her family. This forces her story to be different. The ST is setting up to continue the themes of family and redemption, but it is also emphasizing self discovery. The FO does resemble to the Empire, but so did the Clone Army. The Resistance and Rebellion are similar, but precursors to Rebellion technology also originated in the Clone Wars. The fact that the Empire's successor and a military that originated from the NR,would use technology that looks like what we saw in the OT is logical.

The closest similarity to ANH in TFA was Starkiller Base, but when that entire sequence is looked at, it is very much different from ANH. In ANH, the emotional weight and character development was centered around the attack on the Death Star. Luke and Han both had major character moments during the space battle. In TFA, the emphasis is placed on the conflict between Rey, Fin, Han, and Kylo Ren. The battle itself is incidental to the plot of the movie. It exists more to illustrate the wider conflict, but has no impact beyond that. It exists solely in the background, whereas the Battle of Yavin is central to the plot. On Starkiller Base though, a lot happens. Han's character development is emphasized. In the OT we see him go from selfish, to loyal and willing to stay and fight for his friends. In TFA, he has grown to have a stronger belief in redemption and is willing to put himself in an incredibly vulnerable position to save his son. Here, he is taking a far bigger risk than at any point in the OT and this is the first time he has really chosen to sacrifice himself. Also, this is the first time we see Han state a belief in the Force, which is an important illustration of how much he has changed since ANH. With Kylo Ren we don't have a complete villain. He is very much unlike Vader who was corrupted to evil and has suppressed the good in him. Kylo, is a villain who wants to be evil, but struggles with the good within himself. His good side is fairly close to the surface. He is working to suppress it and here he takes his biggest step towards that goal. Also, Fin finds something to fight for and believe in at this point, which the movie established he was unsure about. Fin overcomes his fear and fights what he knows to be evil. Furthermore, Rey accepts her role as a hero. Nothing in ANH resembles what these characters go through in TFA. There just so happens to be a battle that resembles the attack on the Death Star. But if we really look at the structure of the films, TFA is far more similar to the duel on the second Death Star combined with Mustafar; and the closest analogue to ANH is actually the final battle in TPM (I'm not saying these movies are of equal quality).

So as a whole, I'd likely choose the ST over the NJO. It continues the themes of the OT, but approaches them from different directions, and allows for them to be reflected upon in ways the OT didn't. As part of a multi-trilogy saga, the ST is more of an appropriate continuation than the NJO was.

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    The NJO had a few really good books. The series overall all was just all over the place. A lot of mediocre to bad ones in the mix.

I did like the ambitious project Del Rey undertook. But the execution was pretty bad.

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    The restoration of the NJO is never going to be on Movie screens. They died horribly at the hands of the KOR. <Captain Von Trapp> THE NJO? There is no NJO. </Captain Von Trapp>

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's really a poor point to bring up the TST right now because Disney stopped cold in giving us a new universe to expand on as well as details about it because, as we've found out, they have no idea what any of the new elements are. The big change with Disney is we're mostly getting stuff in the Original Trilogy Era which is a bizarre sort of situation given how much of us want info in the new era.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I agree with what you posted, and would have put up a like, but the TFA trilogy at this moment is copying, and executing exactly everything bad about the NJO.

15. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I find it very likely that after training Rey, Luke will go on to make a second attempt at restoring the Jedi Order by the end of 8/beginning of 9

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    jamminjedi23

It was new for Star Wars.
    EDIT: I highly doubt anything Star Wars does will be considered original. All I can hope for is Star Wars does something it hasn't done before. NJO does this. TFA does not.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    we are looking at NNJO then.
    Also, when the time for Episode 10, we will find out that the NNJO has all turned to the NKOR, because Rey has become a new Sith Lord.
    We will then have 210 kid books per 1 adult book. All of them called Journey to Episode 10. Join the NKOR is a famous kid book series.

18. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Yes, but only if your definition of copying the NJO means that they are nothing at all alike. Lol.

That's just a straight up dumb statement.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I mean the NJO also made the older generation indecisive, willing to put kids in danger while they hid, made the NR leadership idiotic. The young kids fight the evil bad by themselves. Innocent people die needlessly, being tortured and worse.

20. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I doubt they'd overwrite the movies if they do a fourth trilogy. Also, there has actually been more adult books released than kid books. And JTLJ is actually quite even. They have one adult, one young adult, and one kid book. So they're essentially giving each age range their own book. However, based on the quality of books, I find the target audiences fairly meaningless. Some of the kid books have been very complex and the young adult books are difficult to distinguish from the adult novels.

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    According to the wook, for the future books, from today to the end of the year 2017, there will be

5 YR books (Young reader)
    2 Original Junior Novels
    2 Adult Novels

a 7:2

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know that "the NJO is Jacen's story" is a point in its favor any more than "the ST is Kylo's story" is a point in its favor.

23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    both of them were in the same division.
    NJO wins by a tip of the lightsaber.

24. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    The TFA "kids" were adults. And only Luke was in hiding. We don't yet know why. But I am supremely confident it will continue to be nothing like the NJO.

Your opinions are your opinions, but don't just make up **** to support them.

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Did you type all those stars or were you seriously cursing?