main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sequel Trilogy Retcons - Being Prepared, Being Positive (Minor spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 18, 2014.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They didn't release as many books the last couple years because they didn't know what the plan was. SOTJ and that Kemp duology (still waiting to know what that was about) would have been released.
    Borrowing from Havac from another thread but
    But boy, is that outline tantalizing. All that pre-Republic stuff, a piece on the Kanz Disorders, a piece on Czerka, O/RDs, Uueg Tching and Atrisia, Hapes, the Great Droid Revolt (I really, really want to see that), Foerost (!), Saul Karath and a bunch of KOTOR-era stuff, a piece on Ruusan, the Nova Guard, the Stark Hyperspace War, Senate Commandos, local security forces (that would have really been interesting), Sidious's pawns (sounds intriguing . . . Jason, can you tell us who you were thinking of for that?), RAITH SIENAR, Military Funding and Conscription sounds interesting, ARC troopers, peace movements, Imperial Royal Guard, Clone Wars holdous, pirates and slavers (sounds fascinating), the Lortan Fanatics (might the soldier's story have been told by Baron Fel?), Traditions of the Imperial Navy!!!!!!!, chanteuse for the ISO sounds great, a bunch of stuff on Anaxes, Kuat, and Carida which would be totally awesome, friggin' Sixtus Quin, all the stuff on lesser-known trooper types that could be pretty interesting, all the different manufacturer profiles throughout the book (especially TaggeCo), Trianii stuff that would be a great nod to Daley, the two early sections of the Rebellion chapter, a look at prisoners of war could have been a really informative take on an under-considered issue, I'd have loved to have seen more on the Hell's Hammers and Storm Commandos, PRIVATEERS, TARKIN, Basso!, Rebel Fighter Corps, SpecForce, Fondor, Derra IV, Jowdrrl on the Falcon, post-Hoth, more on Endor, Nagai, Lemelisk, Milagro, Denon, Salm, Rogue Squadron, the Marg Sabl (always wanted more on that reference), KATARN COMMANDOS, Airen Cracken, a Mon Calamari profile, a piece on the Crimson Empire would have been fertile continuity ground, return to Bastion (what would that have been about?), a Base Delta Zero piece, SIEN SOVV, a Lah bio, THE CHISS FLEETS and Csilla, THE EMPIRE OF THE HAND, Mandalorian Protectors . . . there's like a whole two more books here of stuff I want badly.

The EU finished? Not likely.

Sinrebirth , Zeta1127 and LelalMekha like this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The way I see it, LFL could have fixed a lot of the problems by jettisoning the post-NJO, since there is sadly no way in a million years they would ever do away with TCW, but no they just had to take an all or nothing approach out of shear convenience.

Abadacus likes this.
  3. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

To be honest though going with an all or nothing approach is a lot more realistic than what many of the EU fans are saying (which is save what I like and discard what I don't like).

Disney did the right thing and they either kept the whole enchilada or discarded the whole enchilada.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Except they didn't. They told us EU fans tough luck nothing you care about counts but we'll cannibalise all the EU materials we want and change them evidently expecting us to be happy. Some of us aren't.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Like I said, Lando had a realllly busy week when he had the Falcon! A lot of times in Marvel comics, people point out "how could Wolverine or Spidey be everywhere at once"? I just view it as these are fictional characters who lead exceptionally busy lives.

6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

That's pretty much the same as discarding. And anybody who has ever worked knows it is impossible to make everybody happy as no matter what you do some will find fault in it (sometimes simply because they want to find fault in it).

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For you, perhaps.

8. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014

The post-RotJ EU, or rather just the post-NJO EU was seriously ill because Del Rey mismanaged their licence horrifically. Cheap authors made for high profit margins, but pissed off old fans who were used to better, while crazy long multiauthor series with hardcover galore kept the cash coming in but deterred new readers. What the EU needed was a better publisher and editor. Star Wars is a bankable enough name that you can afford to give the publisher a bigger cut and sacrifice profits in exchange for great books that will draw in readers and turn them into fans, who will make up the loss elsewhere by buying things and raising their kids as Star Wars fans.
    It could have used some retcons, or selective amnesia - I think you'll find most of us agree on a few things there - but we clearly still wanted more stories in the universe we'd known for so long, and the point just before NJO was a perfect place to start a new trilogy that would reinvigorate it.
    Instead, they took the EU off life support, and gave those same publishers and editors a blank check to redraft much of the universe, with only the Story Group to constrain them this time.
    So far, they've announced decent-to-great authors for the first wave (with JJM in particular being a standout) but if they continue the mistakes of the past and bring in Denning or others of his ilk, it would bode very poorly for the future of the franchise, IMO.

Zeta1127 and Vthuil like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU has thousands of years worth of stories left to be told.

Zeta1127, Abadacus and LelalMekha like this.
  10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I mean, LFL couldn't even be bothered to keep anything directly connected to the films, so what exactly was the point of the last 38 years now?

kubricklynch likes this.
  11. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yep. They do.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  13. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

It is still there. Just as an alternate universe to the movies that are going to be made from this point forward.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As I've said a million times, the 'keep this but don't keep this' approach would never have kept anyone happy, and asking for it repetitively would only have resulted in a reboot, or, worse, a partial reboot.

For example, Zeta argued strongly and relatively consistently that TCW should go. When the reboot happened, TCW stayed. So not only is he annoyed that TCW stayed, but also that a lot of what he wanted to stay was thrown out.

Shrug.

But I'm loath to remind us that griping about this isn't the point of the thread :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I knew I was probably never going to get my way with TCW since it came from Lucas himself, but now I am just never going to get my way with anything, because everything that meant something to me is now basically irrelevant.

16. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I tell you what. Read 'A New Dawn'. Get 'Tarkin' when it comes out in November. Watch a bit of the television show when it starts up in a couple weeks. There is plenty of stuff out there for you to get into again. Most people seem to think that 'A New Dawn' is one of the better Star Wars books ever written and there is a good chance that Tarkin will be just as good if not better based off of who is writing it.

If you are going to be rejecting the new EU don't be rejecting it out of spite. If you enjoyed the old EU chances are you will like the new stuff just as much if not more.

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Let me put it this way, the films are the only thing retained in this new canon business that I care about, so what exactly is the point of being a fan anymore? TCW has made it so I have no desire to watch Rebels, because Star Wars television seems to be destined to contradict the EU at every opportunity. From my point of view and based on their declaration, no matter how good A New Dawn and Tarkin are, they will never really be the same Star Wars I care about. Why did they even really need such a declaration to do that, TCW sure didn't and it basically did the same thing on a much larger scale. I couldn't wrap my head around what TCW did, so do you really think I am likely to be able to wrap my head around what the ST does to the universe?

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    She now dies to Order 66, and her Padawan is in Rebels.

So if you care about old canon then she recovers from her coma and is rehabilitated, insofar as much as Barriss Ofee has to be to die in Order 66 too.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that her Padawan was about 12 when she's first seen thinking of recruiting him, and 14 at the time of Order 66 - that would suggest that the scene at the start of the book, takes place 1 year into the Clone Wars - only a few months after Shatterpoint.

Sounds like a very quick rehabilitation.

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Unless she was thinking of recruiting him, went to Haruun Kal, was rehabilitated, and then took over his training again later,

The Council could have paired them back up to help Depa or vice versa if her Padawan blamed himself for the fall. The kind of thing they'd do to be fair.

Darth_Garak and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I did notice that Shatterpoint is one of those things that even very "movie-centric" reference books like the Dorling Kindersley series (Mysteries of the Jedi in this case) still make references to - it lists all the TPM High Council members, plus the ones that joined the High Council after TPM, and calls out Depa as having fallen to the Dark Side during the war.

Similarly - the more recent "Star Wars The Clone Wars: Who Are The Jedi?" references Quinlan as having fallen to the dark side and been brought back - so even in a TCW book, there are nods to the Republic comic series.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Interesting. More and more survives.

The Clone Wars novel references Galidraan, Ruul, Jabiim, etc

And we still don't know the provenance of the Clone Wars novels like Gambit, No Prisoners and so forth.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep in mind that, movie-centric and TCW-centric as they were, those books still predated the announcement.

Vialco likes this.
  24. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well that is your choice I guess. You are being extremely bullheaded about the situation though and the only person you will be hurting is yourself by turning your nose up at good star wars stories simply because you want to turn your nose up at them.

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    My choice? So it is my choice to make the EU functionally irrelevant for the sole benefit of more films that most people had resigned themselves to never getting. Bullheaded? LFL has said they aren't going to necessarily follow anything from the EU going forward. Which makes this entire thread a pointless exercise, because there aren't going to be anymore retcons going forward. Yes I have, but that doesn't mean I wanted it all thrown out the window, because the majority of the EU was Star Wars to me, definitely a heck of a lot more than just the films.

And I meant TCW basically did the same thing on a much "smaller" scale in my previous post.