main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Sequel Trilogy Timeline

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Bops, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree that Star Wars is on a completely different standard that only a few other movies can be on par with... I don't mean to think that Star Wars and Expendables are on the same level or even the Star Trek reboot. I would think about comparing it to Marvel's Avengers only due to the fact that Disney will stick close to that formula for the new Star Wars with a little bit of history to explain the new villains

2. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Let me just say, that I can not wait until Summer 2015, if for no other reason so that we may argue, not over what is going to happen but things that have happened in Episode 7... Way more fun... What did they mean by ______________? I hope both the EU fans and the casual fans are both pleased with how it turns out

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    We already had a whole Prequel Trilogy explaining the origins of Luke and Leia's parents and stuff. Because of this, it would feel strange to jump into 7 with Luke and Ben without the mother.

I mean you'd think after the treatment of Anikin and Padme, the next two Skywalker parents would be given a fair amount of exposition about how they met as well. For those who haven't read the Thrawn books that are SW fans (and they are legion,) it would feel extremely random and strange to see Luke and his kid without knowing anything at all about Mara.

But given the situation with the timeline now, it is going to be very difficult for the writers to make things work. I mean think about it.

They could have 7 set 20 or so years before 8, in which Luke could run into Mara trying to kill him, but then they fall in love at the end. Then in episode 8 we have Ben and the others, ect. This would be strange though because it would reduce the amount of time that we see Ben as the main protagonist. Ie it would be like episode 1, but with a bigger gap.

I would love it if they did this because I love the story of how Mara and Luke fall in love. By starting them as bitter enemies, then having them get together would be awesome to see on screen. Because in a way, this is the reverse of Anikin and Padme's love story. They start out by falling in love rather quickly, then they become enemies in Episode 3 because of Anikin's actions. Would be interesting to see that dynamic reversed in all its glory!

However the writers may just jump into the time when Ben is 20ish and not mention the mother ever. In which case of course the fans will be confused given the amount of screentime Padme received.

Handling Luke's lover in a way that doesn't slow down the story in a way that satisfies every fan will be one of the hardest thing the writers will have to deal with.

That is if they plan on Luke having a child in the first place....

The Bops likes this.
  4. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I agree with this notion entirely. If Ben and Jaina are in Episode VII, they'll be introduced like any other new character. We'll jump right into them being what they are; in their case, Jedi. We don't need to see their entire life story since birth laid out on screen.

Apophis_ likes this.
  5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I am most excited to see Ben Skywalker get friends finally...

6. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I get your point, but given the attention given to the Anakin, Padme, Luke, and Leia back stories, it would feel strange to jump into the third generation... especially if Luke's wife is not alive.

I'd really prefer Episode VII to set up the rest of the ST, like Episode I did for the PT.

7. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    You articulated my thoughts perfectly. Given the attention to the Anakin, Padme, Luke, and Leia back stories, to just jump into the third generation with no appearance of Luke's wife would feel inconsistent.

Episode Swag likes this.
  8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    When people watched tron legacy did you REALLY want to know who Sams mom was? Or was it enough that he was flynns son?

9. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I agree with Corvax. I didn't know or care where Luke came from when I first saw ANH. I didn't know or care who his mother was when I first saw ESB and RotJ, and I still don't care. It was enough that Vader/Anakin was his father. I didn't know or care that Leia was his sister...and so on. The fact is, they can do the exact same thing with Ben, Jaina, etc. Will a non-fanboy person care or really need to know who Bens mother was when they first view Ep7? Nope.

You see, it's really quite simple. I'm completely, absolutely certain they can make a new movie without disturbing one iota of the EU. They don't need to explain anything. You don't need to know a characters entire backstory to enjoy their current story. Stang, if I can come up with a perfectly good plot and story for Ep7 without damaging the EU and without needing to explain who's who and what's what, so can the folks at Disney. They actually have people who get paid for that.

Wether they will or not, remains to be seen. If not, I'll be disappointed, but I'm not going to freak out about it.

Apophis_ likes this.
  10. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    You keep saying that... I DON'T CARE ABOUT 'DUDE' FROM TRON.

Star Wars and the Skywalkers are on a different level for me.

But again, my friend, we will need to agree to disagree.

11. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    You made me smile today Mike. Thanks.

But, again, we're gonna have to agree to disagree... :)

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    If the writer/director feel that the viewer need to see Ben's mother but don't want to include her. (They always could bring her back to life from the EU). But more probably as the Big 3 will probably be supporting characters and no main ones for this trilogy. I doubt they are going to want to add a wife for Luke if all she is going to put toward the plot is being a wife for Luke. With that though, if they want to explain where Luke came from they can easily explain through Luke or Ben looking at a picture of Mara. Thereby explaining it.

Between the OT and the PT, fans didn't know about Padme at all. It was enough that Luke Skywalker was son of Darth Vader. The Prequel Trilogy had to cover all that had been brought up in the OT. Clone Wars, Kids Being Born, Anakin falling to Darth Vader. Only characters that needed to appear were Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine, and the newly created Padme. That entire arc was pushing toward the birth of Luke and Leia and the fall of Anakin.

You don't need to sit and explain where Luke's son comes from, because he comes from Luke... and a passing mention woman. For the fans who want to see Luke and Mara's romance in EP 7. You want to Luke star in EP 7 then step back in EP 8 and 9? That doesn't seem right. I would rather they not include Ben at all if that were the case.

But with all of that, Ben is a good hero and will steal the show... I promise...

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is why I want the Mother to be the main antagonist of the new trilogy. It gives us our much needed emotional conflict and the mother is more than just Luke's wife and the protagonists mom. We've seen the Evil Father, now I want to see the Evil Mother like Lucas said! [face_devil]

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I feel like that is a rehash, I would be just as thrilled with the Evil Illegitimate Brother that Luke didn't even know about...

"Luke, I am your son..."
    "No, oh no, not again."
    "I have Star Maury right here with the paterity results"

Brother vs. Brother rather than Mother vs. Son/Daughter

15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I disagree. I think a renegade Jedi with a large number of followers is thematically different from a Jedi turning to the dark side. I also like the idea that instead of seeking to redeem her mother the daughter would be seeking revenge for killing Luke. This would of course bring her closer to the dark side and could set up a scenario where in the final confrontation between mother and daughter it is the mother who somehow saves the daughter from the dark side. In fact I could see an epic lightsaber duel between mother vs. daughter (Mara Jade vs. Nomi Skywalker) and sister vs. brother (Jaina Solo vs. Jacen Solo) where the mother, sensing her daughter is dangerously close to the dark side, is forced to goad the brother into killing her thus saving her daughter from having to be the one to take her life. I don't know where this would lead with Jacen but I don't think the two cousins should then strike him down (maybe Jacen realizes what he's done and shows remorse perhaps sacrificing himself to allow his sister and cousin to escape!)

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Too much family... You are getting into to some Once Upon a Time Family Thing

Snow White+Charming=Emma
    Emma+Neil=Henry
    Henry adopted by Evil Queen
    Neil could be son of Rumple...
    Evil Queen is step mother of Snow
    Evil Queen's mother is Queen of Hearts....

See it just gets convoluted and hard to follow, would make for a great movie, I will give you that. But honestly I don't see that many main characters being related, cause then you have to add in Romances, Threshold Bad Guys... All fo them speak... Suddenly, the characters don't get developed just because there are so many....

17. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONOONONONONNO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Everyone would love to see the classic characters come back in a new adventure, so why make them really old? We want to see them like they were in ROTJ!

18. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    This thread stinks. Every reply on here stinks. (not the people that made them though)

19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Relax. Take a deep breath. Find your center.

21. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    Door's that way -->

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  22. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    In all seriousness though, I'd love to have 40 year old Han and 30 year old Luke and Leia. However, it would be impossible without recasting and that is unacceptable.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Speak for yourself! I want to see 60 year old Jedi Master Luke Skywalker rockin' the white beard and braided hair! I want to see Han Solo as "that old fossil" our heroes dig up! I want to see Jedi Master Leia Organa Solo whooping some young punks who think she is nothing but an old grandma! Yep, that's what I want!

The Bops likes this.
  24. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    based on that criterion and respecting EU, i think that EPVII will take place in 45 ABY, when Ben Skywalker is 19 years old.

Apophis_ and Corvax855 like this.
  25. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It may take place in 45 ABY... but, that does not mean it'll respect the Expanded Universe. They will do what they want, as they are writing a film and the film overrides everything else. Moreover, the films are supposed to be about the largest events in a character's life. How do you use the EU when the biggest events in some people's lives take place off-screen. Stuff like the deaths of immensely important players in the lives of the characters... people like Mara Jade, Chewie, Jacen Solo, and so forth.

All it would take to erase large sections of the EU as they currently exist would be for the opening crawl to say... "Peace has reigned in the Galaxy..." or "The New Republic Senate..." When it's set in 45 ABY.

Fundamentally I think Kyris is right, that the EU should be treated as inspiration not doctrine. What I imagine seeing likely is that those elements that would be the most detrimental to the plot and development of the film... Chewie's Death, Jacen's Fall, and Mara's Death will most likely be retconned explicitly by the film... we'll see each of them alive at the start of the film (I would not expect them to stay that way through the ST). Other elements will be more swept under the rug or eventually rewritten or revised. We've seen fix-fiction before in Star Wars (I, Jedi... Thrawn Duology... and so forth) so seeing it again wouldn't be a surprise.

When we've followed Luke Skywalker since birth to his death and never see the mother of his son... something is wrong. When a beloved character is said to be dead in an aside (like what may happen with Chewie, Jacen, or Mara) you've done something terribly wrong in your writing.

The Bops likes this.