main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sequels/Spinoffs/Reboots/Remakes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jun 2, 2015.

1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Seeing all Star Wars films. MCU films too, unless any look particularly bad. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has me most excited, though; I adore the first. Seeing Batman v Superman, but the rest of the DC films I'll play by ear. Love Harry Potter, so I'll be seeing Fantastic Beasts. Ghostbusters I'll play by ear, as I love the original and am hoping they do the concept justice. Seeing Jurassic World for sure. Spectre, definitely. Any future Indiana Jones films I'll be seeing at midnight, as well. That's all that comes to my tired mind right now, but I'm sure there are others I'm either planning to see, or at least willing to give a chance. Oh, X-Men: Apocalypse for sure. I can't believe that slipped my mind, it's the superhero film I'm looking forward to the most.

Off-topic, but I'm also ridiculously excited to see both Crimson Peak and The Hateful Eight. Also, Edgar Wright's Baby Driver. His departure from Ant-Man killed 90% of my excitement for that movie, and I'm a fan of the character (if you can't tell by my username).

2. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Kathy Najimy is one of the few people that's consistently entertaining in every single project they do.

And that includes being a Disney alien.
    [​IMG]

The2ndQuest and Juliet316 like this.
  3. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Here's a question....there are so many BAD movies out there, why not remake those instead?

Seriously....you could take something certifiably terrible like Manos: The Hands of Fate and polish it up into at least a halfway decent film.

Heck....there's THOUSANDS of bad movies to choose from!
    [​IMG]

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Hollywood does not like to risk all that much.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There's not exactly a lot of money, praise, or critical acclaim to be had from remaking infamous bombs, either. There are times to accuse Hollywood (And indeed most large corporate media sources) of being risk averse... that's not one of them.

6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    You have a point there, but

Big Trouble in Little China was an infamous bomb. 20th Century Fox had no idea how to market it, it tanked at the box office and yet now with the Rock's clout, it may be remade.

I understand it's a business, The older I get the less appeal current Hollywood (and other countries film industries) have for me.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, it would have been cool to attend that screening and Q&A of Big Trouble in Little China. If it was done in San Francisco's Chinatown, I would have definitely been there. I think James Hong could still play Lo Pan and probably won't need that much make up.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yep, Lo Pan has still got it. 86 years young. I hope I get to meet him at a convention.

For this remake, James could be Lo Pan, but Ching Dai would also be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing Lo Pan being cursed way back when.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I never expected to see anyone this passionate about Sister Act.

Marvel has me hooked for its blockbusters, and I'm interested in Rogue One. Those are the only ones I can really promise to go out and see. Ghostbusters, Zoolander, etc. I'll probably get around to seeing at some point. If by some miracle Batjustice vs. Super Dawn: Man of Affleck is good, I'll probably see it. Everything else is probably ranging from pass to "maybe on video on demand if it gets good reviews."

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I don't care about that, but the starter of this thread sure had a likeable and clever screen name. I like it. There's one user around here who has the most uninspired and boring screen name, though. New guy, chose to call his account Rylo Ken. Can you believe that? The most unimaginative uncreative name I can think of. What a waste.

SuperWatto and Rylo Ken like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Alice Through the Looking Glass
    Barbershop 3
    Batman v Superman
    Ben-Hur
    Bourne sequel
    Captain America 3
    Conjuring 2
    Deadpool
    Divergent 3
    Dr. Strange
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Friday the 13th
    Gambit
    Ghostbusters
    Ice Age 5
    Independence Day 2
    Jungle Book
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    Neighbors 2
    Now You See Me 2
    Nut Job 2
    Pete's Dragon
    Purge 3
    Ride Along 2
    Rogue One
    Star Trek 3
    Suicide Squad
    Tarzan
    TMNT2
    X-Men: Apocalpyse
    Zoolander 2

Saw the Tarzan trailer in front of "Gods of Egypt" - one of the worst non sequel, reboot, remakes of 2016 so far

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I agree. This reminds me that I need to get around to seeing Greystoke. I haven't seen it, but I've had it recommended to me.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Lethal Weapon is a series too, now. MacGyver received a reboot that looked atrocious from the trailer.

17. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If the original Star Wars was the Magnificent Seven of sci fi movies, then the new Magnificent Seven must be the The Force Awakens of westerns.

18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Why? Did it recognise the original plagiariser's intent and make a better plagiary?

Sarge and Rylo Ken like this.
  19. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    The title of this thread basically describes 95% of Hollywood films since at least the beginning of this millennium! If you also include mostly yawner films "based on true events" and wars whose only goal is to get the popularity contest win of the ridiculous Oscars, that's pretty much everything in a nutshell.

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Storks is entirely originalt, but it is the result of Warner Bros. putting together a strike force in 2013 so that the studio could finally really begin to capitalize on the booming market for cgi animated feature films, so there's no reason to be particularly pleased about "original content" at least in this case. It's content developed in an R&D center designed for manufacturing content. Content grown in the lab with the hope that it will stick when thrown into the marketplace so that it can be properly sequelized.

21. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Highlights for me in recent years have been films like Ex Machina, Oblivion, and despite being based on a true story, Bridge of Spies.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    MacGuyver aired episode 1 today. I will watch with my kids and report back. Doubt it'll be as retrotastic as Hooten and the Lady.

23. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I have to say that I generally dislike remakes. In fact I can't think of a single one I found better than the original. I generally stay away from them in the first place. Who needs another Conan the Barbarian or Point Break, when the originals were more or less perfect? Same with all that remade Halloween, Evil Dead and Friday the 13th stuff. Why can't Hollywood simply leave good enough alone? To be clear I'm talking strictly about remakes, not new film versions of books. Those don't count. The only one I can think of at the moment that isn't strictly crap is POSSIBLY Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's doesn't come close to the original but isn't totally horrible either.
    Sequels are a different story for me. I have nothing against them generally, IF they are well made. Some that are (almost) as good as the originals - in very rare cases better - include:
    - naturally all the Lucas SW sequels and prequels (meaning excluding the ST)
    - Aliens
    - the Back to the Future sequels
    - Terminator 2 (actually it may really be better than the 1st one)
    - Godfather Part II
    - partially the Psycho sequels
    - Jaws 2 (I know, not generally liked, and certainly nowhere near the original, but at least not a total disaster either. John Williams' soundtrack is actually pretty good and IMO underrated.)
    - Temple of Doom (yes, in my opinion actually better than Raiders)

Those are just a few examples I can think of right now. I'm sure there are more. Again, I'm not including sequels based on books like LOTR or Harry Potter.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The Thing
    Little Shop of Horrors
    The Fly
    (debatable)
    Ocean's 11
    A Star is Born
    (pick one)

Master_Lok and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  25. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    True. I should definitely have included The Fly. I can't say much about the others as I haven't seen the originals. But I have at least seen parts of the original The Thing, and I'm pretty sure Carpenter's version is better.