main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Sequels to Spin Offs?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Summers1913, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I know I'm getting ahead of myself. But has anyone heard if any of the spinoffs will have the potential for a sequel?

If I were guessing I would think an Old Republic type spinoff would have more potential for a sequel than a specific character spinoff.

But has there been any whispers for this at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    All we've heard confirmed so far is that there will be three standalone / spin-off movies. I'm sure there will be more standalone movies after those, but I've never heard anything about any of them being sequels to earlier spin-offs.

Doesn't mean it can't happen, but yeah... this could be getting ahead of ourselves. :p

3. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    Oh I agree. I guess I'm hoping one of the spin offs has the potential to be a saga in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Knowing Hollywood....

mratm23, mes520 and darklordoftech like this.
  5. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I'm hoping for a "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" approach. There've been any number of surprise fan-favorites in the OT and wider geekdom (Boba Fett and Wedge Antilles being prime examples).
    If a certain writer, actor, and director combo produces a great Star Wars movie, they'll surely want to follow it up, and if a minor character from the ST sticks in fan's heads a post-ST spinoff is pretty much guaranteed.
    The spinoffs are the perfect opportunity to experiment and find the best in this setting. The more chances taken and minor characters explored, the better.
    Hand-in-hand with that, I hope they avoid major character origin stories as much as possible (I'm not saying never, I just don't want all the spinoffs to be "Young X!").

Sarge and Summers1913 like this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are sequels, trilogies, or even a saga.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope not. Star Wars is one of few movie franchises that successfully does sequels but I still think that "Han and Lando Play Sabacc, part 12: What Ship Will Lando Lose Now?" will get really old, really quickly.

Stand-alone only for the spin-offs please.

EHT likes this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The fact that they are pretty much using the term "standalone" interchangeably with "spin-off" suggests to me that each of the spin-offs will in fact be standalones... as in, not part of a larger story.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't get carried away with them.

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    If they're following the Marvel template, how "standalone" are the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America films?

11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If they insist on doing Han Solo, Boba Fett, etc. movies then there probably won't be many sequels. If they make the spinoffs more unique *movies following brand new characters, using time periods not yet explored, etc.) they could very well build certain stories into duologies, trilogies, etc.

12. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Well, they're stand alone if they can hold up by themselves without needing to have seen The Avengers or other Marvel movies.

I'd say the only ones where you need to see an outside Marvel film are Iron Man 3 (See Avengers first) and Avengers 2 (You're probably going to need to have seen Winter Soldier).

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Agreed. But that's why I think "standalone" doesn't preclude the films interconnecting.

14. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    James Bond series is another example. They're all considered stand-alone films because you can watch anyone of them without having seen any of the others. But they're still considered sequels to each other.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Padme Begins
    The Hot Senator
    The Hot Senator Falls

Team Padme and TKT like this.
  16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Sequels to the spin-offs they will have to do prequels first....prequels & re-boots are the in thing these days.......

17. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    I think we should not jump that far ahead of ourselves

18. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    This raises some really fascinating questions and scenario's.

Let's say a Boba Fett in 2016 movie completely crushes it and makes like 1 billion worldwide. At that point I can't see how Disney doesn't try forcing a sequel (or prequel, depending on how the movie goes) on LFL. But the problem would be, when does it come out? They would either have to push another standalone back, put out more than one movie a year, or wait until 2021.

My guess is that there is a strong possibility that the standalones will be a mix of true one-off movies and attempts to start sub-franchises.

19. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

Okay, I can't help getting ahead of myself after all:)

Lucasfilm and Disney will stick to their plan and any spin off sequels will come the current six movies are completely

There are a number of reasons for this, one important one is to have three original movies with the potential for sequels rather than shove in a sequel to one in the middle of the rest and push another original idea further out

ifleninwasawizard likes this.
  20. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Thinking about it, the idea that every standalone might be a bid to be its own sub-franchise makes more sense ever since Kennedy pointed away from the movies being about the core characters. I couldn't possibly see a series of Han Solo movies, but I could for Boba Fett or Rogue Squadron.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Will Padme use her secret voice?

TX-20 likes this.
  22. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Good point; I was wondering about that as well. I like the idea of an Old Republic Saga.

I'm thinking that they will probably stick to one movie per Character format. I could see them using a subtitle, with the Star Wars main Title, for the Spin-Offs. For example; Star Wars: Legends (fill in Character name), covering as many Characters as they can. Although; I could see them doing Sequels. if the one and done format isn't successful at the Box Office.

The Spin-Off format worries me more than a little though. I don't want them to recast Iconic Characters like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. The movies should be Animation only, if they can't get the original actors back, because of age issues or availability.

23. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Whilst some of us think these standalone movies may give them the chance to be more experimental to see what works, I can't help but think they won't be too experimental as they won't want these movies to flop. They have to play it safe to some degree.

These early films under the Disney banner (7-9 and the standalones) will provide the foundations for the SW franchise at the cinema in years to come.

But if one of the standalones is successful enough then I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a sequel to them.

24. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think it's virtually guaranteed that there will be sequels to the "stand alone" movies, at least for the more successful ones. It's ALL about $$$$$.

The original Star Wars movie was "stand alone," and look what happened there.

Or one of the movies will get a spin off TV show.

Summers1913 likes this.
  25. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    If there isn't an Old Republic and Bounty Hunters set of trilogies, I'll think that maybe disney missed the point of spin-offs.

Those should just happen. They just should!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.