Senate Sequestration Pain Roundup

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Share your favorite austerity story!

Just to review, the CBO says:

Spending cuts hit US science, research
    In a Budget Gesture, Obama Will Return 5% of His Salary
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/u...dget-cuts-obama-to-return-of-part-of-pay.html

Cancer clinics are turning away thousands of Medicare patients. Blame the sequester.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...nds-of-medicare-patients-blame-the-sequester/

Budget cuts ground Blue Angels, Thunderbirds
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/09/us/military-air-shows/index.html

Fermilab faces $36 million budget cut
    http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/news/19124325-418/fermilab-faces-36-million-budget-cut.html

Oshkosh to cut 900 jobs in defense unit
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2013/04/09/oshkosh-to-cut-00-jobs-in-defense-unit/
    Budget cuts ground Air Force, Navy aircraft
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/09/3332298/budget-cuts-ground-air-force-navy.html

Obama Hits Wealthy On The Runway With Air Traffic Control Tower Cuts
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01/control-tower-cuts_n_2994421.html

Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Apr 9, 2013
  2. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    Can you add a bit of overall commentary to that?
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    According to the CBO,

The fiscal policies that reduce the deficit will lead to less demand for goods and services, thereby holding down economic growth this year, as CBO reported in The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2013 to 2023. If not for that fiscal tightening, CBO estimates, economic growth in 2013 would be roughly 1½ percentage points faster than the 1.4 percent real (inflation-adjusted) growth that the agency now projects, under current laws, from the fourth quarter of calendar year 2012 to the fourth quarter of 2013.

Is the pain noticeable? I've posted some links above. How valid are attempts to add a sequestration link to reports like this:

Wholesale Inventories in U.S. Decrease 0.3% As Sales Rise
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, Apr 9, 2013
  4. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    There's another Debt Ceiling showdown coming soon, it will need to be lifted by the middle of May or we may default again. Boehner is already pressuring for more spending cuts, especially Medicare cuts and Medicaid cuts and Social Security cuts.

Is everyone ready for the next round?

It's been far too long since we've had a good fiscal showdown, over a month I think!
    NYCitygurl likes this.
  5. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sequestration has frustrated me on a personal level for the last 6 months.

Back in October, I interviewed for a position supporting a large DoD program. It would have gotten me everything I'm looking for in a new job: a 20% raise (or more), a security clearance, education assistance to let me go back to school and get a Masters, as well as a variety of new challenges and a team of fellow system administrators to learn from. As a bonus, it would also have me working about 5 minutes away from my Aunt's assisted living center, so I would have easier access to help her, and would be able to visit her more often (instead of the usually 1-2 times each week my wife and kids do now). I was told that I was the top candidate for the most junior position on their most senior team of admins.

Then, the concerns about the Sequester started building, and they started to reorganize their budget in anticipation of the cuts that were scheduled for January. As part of that, they began a reorganization of all of their IT support, and put the hiring on hold until that was done. Once that reorganization was complete in December, they took the spot that I was in line for and redefined it as a "mid level" position, which would have resulted in about a 10-15% pay cut for me. Recognizing this, they told me that they wouldn't even try to offer me the position, but that something else might open up in another month or so.

In January, the same company contacted me about a different position supporting TSA. They called me in for an interview and it was hands-down the best job interview I have ever had, and yet I walked out of that interview knowing I didn't get the job. (We agreed that I wasn't a good fit for it, because my focus is Linux, not Solaris, and the client was looking for someone who had more Solaris-specific experience.) However, the same PMs oversaw the DOD contract, and they told me that they would go back to them to see what they could come up with for me. Things continued like that until last month, when I was told that it didn't look like anything was going to change at all (again because of the Sequester), but they were going to keep me in mind for future contracts that they had in the works.

Yesterday, they contacted me again, saying that they had a meeting with the DoD management about reclassifying those admin positions (which they haven't been able to fill at the price they were looking for) back to being senior-level and bringing me in for one of those positions. While this could be another round of spinning my wheels, I'm a little more hopeful this time, because with the Sequester already in place (and looking like it's here to stay), there's less uncertainty for them to plan around.

We shall see.
  6. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yours is not the first story like this I've heard. Hopefully something great will work out for you. This is a tough time for big state research universities. They're beset from all sides - states still trying to recover from their budget crises, DOD and other federal research funding scaled back, more families looking for financial assistance, plus Obama warning them that continual tuition hikes far higher than the underlying inflation rate are unsustainable.
  7. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Good luck, Kimball! Health care is also fraught with uncertainty right now. It's fairly scary.

Peace,

V-03
  8. darth-calvin Jedi Master

star 2
    We will be laying off 3.5 staff due to the sequester which will eliminate services for 19 children. If next year's sequestration happens then we'll be hit really hard. I don't think it will happen, but I didn't think this one would happen either. Personally I will have a reduction in hours for a couple months, but as a salaried staff person I will have all the same work to do ;-)
  9. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Our division staff sections have gotten pretty well gutted; there's no civilians at all working in Operations anymore out of ten or so, and about half of Finance got retired or fired. I'm not personally affected yet, but it sure made getting a phone call answered harder.
  10. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Offices of the IRS, EPA, HUD, and the Office of Management and Budget are closed today with employees on unpaid furlough. That should make fiscal conservatives enjoy their Memorial Day weekend just a tiny bit more.
    Last edited by Jabbadabbado, May 24, 2013
  11. Valairy Scot Backpacking One Pack a Day Mod of New Films

Manager
    star 6
    I've been notified unemployment benefits will see a 21-some% decrease. Oh, well - I'll be out of benefits in a couple of weeks anyway - and still no job. Sigh.
  12. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, I survived sequestration, but most of the rest of my team didn't. Out of 16 people on our help desk/operations team, 10 were laid off after sequestration caused massive budget cuts to our contract. (Our team represented 10 out of 22 layoffs on the contract.) Our 24/7 help desk has been reduced to 3 people to answer the phones (which means that we cannot maintain a 24/7 schedule), with the other 3 people left to maintain about 400 servers nationwide, plus support the remaining developers and applications. While my background is in Linux/Unix administration, I've also been pressed into service as desktop support for our local users, as a backup to our usual desktop support guy (who is backup/excess capacity for the people on the phones).

Each of us also has to take another 80 hours of leave between now and September 30 (which is why I took a very long weekend this past week). Fortunately, my prescheduled vacation in July counts towards that.

Needless to say, I am continuing my job search to find a better place to be.
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    All because Republicans thought for sure that they would be in charge of the White House after the 2012 election.

That one didn't work out so well.
  14. McLaren Jedi Master

star 3
    Many DoD civilian employees have been notified that, starting July 8th until the end of the fiscal year, they will have "free Fridays." Free as in furloughed - do not work, do not get paid. This will be a 20% pay cut for the last quarter which should be interesting to watch play through the DC area economy. But, the real question is: what will the Friday commute be like? ;)
  15. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Given that I go to work 3 hours ahead of them to begin with, not very different. :p
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, this one isn't pain so much, but I thought I'd share:

Since our DOD civilians don't work Fridays, the division commander has decided that all soldiers on Ft. Stewart will have every other Friday off for an indefinitely defined period of time.

Going to the beach in 2 1/2 hours :p
  17. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    A good move by Hagel:

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/hagel-top-military-brass-be-cut-20-percent

Last edited by Summer Dreamer, Jul 19, 2013
  18. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Honestly, about the only things that that'll permanently fix the budget at the Pentagon is 1) a total revamping of the selection process 2) foreign competition and manufacturing being allowed and 3) a great diminution of Congress' ability to decide spending. I've seen them pack budgets with frivolous congressional-district contracts (like the Air Force being forced to buy additional C-17s when the Air Force was saying there was no need or requirement to do so) for decades now; their sole role should be keeping the budget restrained, not adding to it.