main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Serenity Premiere

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kahlan72, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Is it necessary to see the Firefly episodes before hand?

As I've said before, it's a solid action/adventure film with an optional fifteen hours of backstory and character development. If you haven't seen the show, you should enjoy it. If you have, though, it's infinitely better. It's the difference between "well, that was a fun two hours of escapism" and "wow, that was a cinematic masterpiece and I want to see it again".

I suggest checking out the double-length Firefly pilot (also, confusingly, titled Serenity). It establishes the characters and setting fairly brilliantly. And chances are you'll enjoy it and snap up the DVD set immediately afterwards.

2. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Just "received" the first three eps of the TV series...I finally get to see what this show is all about :)

3. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Oh I so have to start wathing the series again to get it done by next Thursday.

In other news, I found a great Zoe shirt today, no vest, but the shirt'll do. Got home, tried on some pants, tied some leather around my neck, and presto, I look kinda similar ;)

Also found 3 great Inara pieces, but dunno if I could handle looking that gorgeous in front of everyone. Don't want to show anyone up after all LOL. Joking of course. I am kinda torn still between lookng like a half as wonderful Inara, or a not so tough ( not so black ) Zoe.

I also have a great Chinese dress that is a size too small for anyone who wants to go in the chinese mode. It'd fit you fine I think HappyBob...[face_whistling]

4. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Nice work on finding all that costume stuff, Kahlan.

Yeah, if anyone was to ask me whether they needed to see the series before seeing the movie, I would recommend that they did, simply because they'll get more out of the film that way. It's not completely necessary though, but in some places it really helps.

Marv, we're looking at having that Firefly marathon at HappyBob's sometime during the next week (huzzah for midsemester break), which is very close to where I live, so that would be an ideal time to see the whole series, since you've missed out so far.

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Ahh, I'd love to go in costume, but I don't have anything to wear and the short blonde hair does sort of make it hard to fit into any characterisation.

Oh well, I'd love to go as Inara :) Pity I don't look anything like her in any way.

Kit

6. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    There's always the option of going as 'Generic Browncoat extra #47'. Get yourself a coat of a brownish persuasion, some boots and a tunic, and you'll look the part.

7. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Yeah or just generic chinese/american/western/urban generically dressed street person!
    .. and Kit, I think you'd make a great Kahlee. I saw some cheap cute orange or green overalls in Lifeline yesterday, that could be done up cute for her. Althouhg I always imagine her in clothes like on the Firefly cover ie sleeveless jacket, over florally shirt and cargo pants. My husband said for Kahlee-just wear whatever and have some grease on your cheek and a spanner in your back pocket :)

8. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Be sure that you can eat Strawberrys :p

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I can sure eat those strawberries! But I don't know if the Cinema would let me in with them instead of popcorn.... :p

Kithera

10. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I also have a great Chinese dress that is a size too small for anyone who wants to go in the chinese mode. It'd fit you fine I think HappyBob...

Tempting, tempting... but I have a horrible fear I'd be the only one in costume. Then I'd look down and realise I'm not actually wearing anything, and it's not the South Bank cinemas, but the school dance.
    Actually, I've got a friend who might be game. It won't fit him, but that would only add to the embarassing charm.

I can sure eat those strawberries! But I don't know if the Cinema would let me in with them instead of popcorn....

I think the South Bank cinema's a bit more lenient with that sort of thing. Hell, they even sell chocolate mudcake - one of the many reasons they kick Greater Union's bottom with gusto and pizzaz. Just smuggle them inside via a nearby bag (preferably your own) and you should be fine. That's the strawberries, by the way, not the metaphorical bottom. Um.

11. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    So who's coming to this ere Shindig???

There's me..and Husband hopefully
    and...

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    *Raises hand* YO! I'll be there. :D It's midsemester break, and I don't work Thursday nights, so it's all good.

Actually, I've got a friend who might be game. It won't fit him, but that would only add to the embarassing charm.

I shake my head that I don't even have to ask who you're talking about there, Alastair. :p

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002

BBN, Casual Jedi dropped in there last night (Thursday night) and the staff told him that they weren't sure if it was in Cinema #5 or not (due to Cinderella Man), and they weren't selling tickets just yet (the reason he went to Brisbane).

If it's possible for you to pick up a ticket for Casual and one for me, that would be great. I can't see myself making it to Brisbane until the day and I would expect tickets to sell out very quickly if they're just going to put it in a smaller cinema. The Browncoats are coming out of the woodwork left, right and centre!

14. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Southbank cinema

The cinplex site is excellent.

If you have secure connection, you can buy your tix over the internet.

For cinemas, click on the 'more info' link under the movie piccie and it'll tell you which cinema it is playing in at which time. Click on the time, book the tickets.

The booking fee is about 20c I think. When I booked 3 tix to star wars this way, it cost less than $1 in booking fees. You pick the tickets up from the guy at the top of the stair.

easy peasy japan-esey

From past experience, the listing comes up as soon as the tix go on sale. Batman was selling tix like this a week before the screening.

And while I realise it is a week before the screening, it's probably best to check every day for changes.

Also, you might find enough enquiry calls to southbank will top the scales in Serenty's Cinema 5 favour.

15. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm guessing you have to register on the site to do that?

Thanks Kahli.

16. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Ooh, nice find, Kahli. I'm certainly going to look at getting my ticket that way. But Goob, if you still want or need me to go in and buy tickets for you and casual, that can be done, no problemo.

17. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Hmmmm, still not looking good for me :(

18. GoobaFish

Apr 15, 2002
    Alright, just repeating:

9pm Tomorrow night! (Thurs)[b/]

I will be at the Cinema at 7:30pm. Anyone interested in going across the road to Tosciani's for dinner? I'm guessing those browncoats on the Australian Serenity forums will be lining up from 8:30-on, maybe even earlier.

19. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    I might actually come.

I know I have just been hanging out at the fringes of this little group.

But I want to see the movie, and might aswell go along.

20. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    Sounds good to me, Goobs. Look for a turkey in a Jayne hat...

Err... on second thoughts, maybe not. There's likely to be a lot of turkeys wearing Jayne hats.

21. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Yeah come along Enempe!! My husband would be glad to have another along that doesn't normally hang with us freaks..he's ben avoiding admitting his Star Wars inclinations :)

So I have coming about 10 of us which'll be great!. We should be there around 8 I guess :) Look out for you guys either across the road sitting on the grass or lined up with everyone else. And General Cargin!! I thought you were gonna go as Wash So I could Whip you all night :) I'm sorta going as Zoe. Although my hubby is wearing an obnoxious Hawaiin shirt, but it's no fun as he's used to doing what I say :)

See you then!

22. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Just read an email I got back from Cineplex at Southbank I sent a few days ago, saying that the movie should be playing in Cinema 5 but not til 940 or so!!! Well it might be late but at least it'll be int eh good one.

The site itself hasn't changed yet..well when I checked a few hours ago. Hopefully we won;t all crash the system trying to buy tickets when it's updated!

EDIT:

OKAY SO TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE ONLINE!!!!!!

http://members.cineplex.com.au/now_screening_southbank.php

Was only 38 or so left when I bought mine not 2 minutes ago!!

BU PEOPLE BUY!

23. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I just got my mitts on a pair of tickets for Cinema 5, with a nice tasty receipt number, so hopefully, all's good. :)

24. EnempE

EnempE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2005
    I sure as hell hope that y'all meant the 9:40 session of the movie.

else I will be lonely and tired. ;-)

Consider me in, I will be the one looking out of place.

25. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Yeah I hope u meant the 9:40 session cuz that is what I have booked for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.