main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Serenity -- The Firefly Movie -- Midnight at the Metreon

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Harlock415, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Serenity, the movie based on the cult series Firefly will have a midnight showing -- well actually 11:59 PM on Thursday Sept 29th.

The local Browncoats will be hosting this shindig and be raising money for Equality Now, one of Joss Whedon's favorite charities. I will be there as well as other members of Fan Force. If anybody is interested, please join us Thursday night for the Big Damn Movie of the season.

And personally, having seen it at a press screening, I have to say that this is one hell of a film and deserves to be seen again and again, not just to prove that Firefly and Serenity get the recognition it deserves, but to make Fox look bad for cancelling the show before it ever had a chance. Serenity is a Universal production which has gone out of its way to support fans by having pre screenings and working with the fans who have basically resurrected the show from the ashes.

2. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    Now that I've seen a couple episodes and the trailer, I am interested in seeing this. However, I can't come to the midnight show, I have school the next day. :( If anyone is interested in seeing it in the theatre again after the midnight show, I'd like to go.

3. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well since Saturday the 1st is the LOTR picnic, I'm probably going to see it again on the 2nd.

4. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I already have my ticket for the "midnight" show so i will see you there.

5. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm going. Now to put a costume together... ;)

6. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well in the episode "Heart of Gold" there are male prostitutes.

7. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Harlock, is the midnight showing you speak of at the Metreon?

- Kay Dee

8. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Yes. Looks like over 100 hundred Browncoats are signed up to be there.

9. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Doh! Should have looked at the title of your post. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. I got my ticket! Now I have to catch up on the rest of the episodes on DVR. Where will I find the time! Ack!

- Kay Dee

10. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    I would love love love to be there *sigh* but, alas... a midnight show up in SF is not doable with my stamina level lately [face_tired] I plan on catching it locally Friday evening, but I will be with you all in spirit!!

Big thanks to Robert for hooking me hahah (and through me, my hubby, my dad, and my brother [face_laugh]

I think I need a Kaylee costume now!!! :D

11. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Hey. I think this is awsome. Firefly is so great, just finished the box set again last night, and just finished up the dark horse comic. Hopeflly I'll be there. Down with the Alliance!!!!

12. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'll be there! :)

- Kai

13. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    The 29th is a Thursday so I'll be working. You guys have fun!

14. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Can't, Smallville season premier takes all precedence!

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Come to teh movie after Smallville. It is a midnight show after all.

16. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Alright, you've peak my interest. Although do you need to know the TV series to get the movie?

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    It helps to know the TV series a little bit. I'll let you borrow a few DVDs.

18. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    Yeah, I'm going to the midnight show as well. I always thought that if you love Star Wars, you will also love Serenity/Firefly.

For all of you Browncoat Newbies, here is a really good web-site that has links to other sites:

FireFly Fans

And the official site:

Official Serenity Movie site

And btw - if you want to get direct info on the screening and events just go and/or sign up with the SFBrownCoats:
    SF BrownCoats

19. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Just got my tickets for for the thurs. 11:59 pm show. Can't wait!!!!!

20. Callisto_DAerisian

Callisto_DAerisian Jedi Knight star 2

May 26, 2005
    between you guys and my bf singing praises in my ear about this, i now have the entire firefly series to watch before i see this movie this weekend. it looks good! although i won't be able to see it on thurs. with everyone else.

can't take time off work for this one - it's no Star Wars, after all [face_love]

21. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I watched the first 7 or so episodes. It's a good series. It's like a cross of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. and The Han Solo Adventures novels. I think I'll finish before thursday. Matt did you pick up a ticket for me?

22. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Got it, Ming.

23. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    That's a great summary! I was struck when I watched the pilot episode of how much it reminded me of Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy...

- Kai

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    And for all you Browncoats and potential Browncoats, a special message from Joss Whedon to the fans who have made this all possible:

Post subject: We few, we happy few...
    Well boys and girls and boys dressed as girls and girls dressed as Kaylee, the time is almost upon us. This Friday we take that old rust-bucket out of the shipyard and see if she can breach atmo. It's been a long (to paraphrase a band I like) strange trip, and it'll be nice finally to show everybody what it is we've been tinkering with all this time. You already know you have my thanks, from the hardcore fans to the softcore... fans.... let me try that again. From the people manning the booths, buying DVD sets for their friends, getting banners seen everywhere on Australian TV, raffling artwork for ticketholders (Adam Hughes, take a bow), to the most casual fan who just wants to see the flick and won't ever even read this. You guys are the fuel in the engine, the Fire in the Fly, the weird green stuff coming out of Serenity's butt. (Hmmm. Forget that last one. I'm a little bit out of control here.)

Everyone needs something to keep them going. Mal has his ship. Zoe has her integrity. Jayne has Vera. And I've got you guys.

So what now? There have been so many posts about seeing it, seeing it again, the first weekend, the second weekend, being enthusiastic without being obnoxious (and yes, it IS hard to see over the pom-pom of a Jayne hat), buying tickets in advance, making a noise... I honestly wouldn't know what to add. I can tell you this: the movie will play in about 2200 hundred theaters, which is a good number. Too many, and you get empty theaters with no energy -- not enough, and you get, well, not enough. It may be hard to find in some areas but it'll be out there. Leave no multiplex unturned! This is going to be a ground war, peeps -- we have to hold the valley for a long while. However it opens, it needs to HOLD. Instead of the Alliance we'll be fighting viewer apathy, fear of something new, the urge to wait for DVD, and Jessica Alba in a bikini. (Although I have it on good authority that she spends 90% of the film in a huge wooly parka. Make sure that gets out.)

The day this puppy opens, I'll be seeing it with my family (don't worry, there's a lot of them, and they're all paying) and then I'm off to Europe to learn the word 'Browncoats' in nine different languages -- 'cause like I said, it's all about holding. I'll never be far from a computer, though, so I can check in with y'all. Thanks for every damn thing.

And remember, amidst all the urgency to make this an event, all the work and the worry, to take two hours and just enjoy yourself. That is, after all, what all this fighting's about.

-joss.

We few, we happy few, we band of browncoats...:D For Joss, Serenity, and Firefly! Once more into the breach!

25. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    So, will our Fan Force be meeting up at any specific time on Thursday? Just trying to make plans :)

- Kay Dee (Who wishes she could be Kay"lee" for one night ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.