main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Serenity -- The Firefly Movie -- Midnight at the Metreon

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Harlock415, Sep 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000

Except with random bits of Chinese swearing.

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    I'll try to get there before 6 PM. But just to hold our plce in line. There are some Browncoats who plan on seeing a few episodes at the Varnish gallery which runs from 8 until 10. We're playiing it by ear. The Press Screening tonight had to turn away over a hundred people in line because it was such a huge turnout. Unfortunately they cut the line off just ahead of me and Dale.

But that's okay since I cought an earlier press screening. But I do plan on getting to the theater late afternoon or early evening.

3. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, I usually get out of work around 7:15-7:30 so I will head up to the theatre after that (it's only three blocks away). I will need to grab some dinner but Robert, let me know if you need help with keeping a place in line. I've been hearing ads for it on the radio and am getting really excited. It's seems like it's getting good reviews. Hopefully that will encourage more people to go see it.

4. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I get off work that day at 6 pm, then I'll take BART to pick up my car.

5. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    So wait, you get off work from the Metreon at 6, gonna hump it back to DC on Bart and then drive back in? Kinda waste of time, dude.

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I just finished all of Firefly. Too bad it only had one season, just like Brisco County Jr. did... Why was it cancelled anyway? Too expensive like Brisco? I'm assuming the movie is gonna tie up some loose ends where the TV show left off? I'll wear a brown jacket for the occasion and I should be there by 11ish... ;)

7. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Because Fox Television is infinitely wise. That's why such horrible shows as Family Guy, Tru Calling, and Futurama were given the axe.

They showed the episodes out of order, hence, the pilot episode that introduced the crew was shown last. It was shown on Friday nights and was always being pre-empted by specials so it was hard to tell when it would be on consistantly. Plus they really had no idea what to do with it. Thus it had low ratings, but not as low as a show like Law & Order or Alias had their first season. If only Fox had stuck with it...

It's in Amazon's top 10 DVD sellers, despite the fact that the DVD set is 2 years old and is the oldest title on the list.

It also helps that they are currently selling the set at a special price of $29.99 with free shipping and no sales tax.

8. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    At least Firefly was released on DVD. Brisco County Jr. was a really good spin on the Western as a TV series but was so expensive to make they pulled the plug after the first season because the fan base also didn't develope fast enough. I actually don't like westerns all that much but Brisco had a lot of good ideas, characters, and stories. However, it's not on DVD and may never be.

9. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I missed out on Brisco too, much like Firefly.

But if you are interested Bruce Cambell will be making a personal appearence on Wenesday the 28th at the Tower Records in Fisherman's Wharf.

10. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    Wow, that's awesome! I guess that's cause Evil Dead 2 has been put out again with a really cool Book of the Dead. I hope it's made of different material than the one that's been out about 3 years. It's all rubbery, and icky and yucky to the touch. It makes me feel like somebody's scraping their finger nails on a chalkboard yucky. Ewww.

11. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    At the screening last night in Sac, a couple things were revealed to us.

If Serenity grosses $80 mill worldwide opening weekend, they will do a sequel.

Joss Whedon has signed a contract saying it won't go to a TV series for at least 10-12 years. He'd rather do movies anyways.

So go see it this movie this weekend! I can't reccommend it highly enough.

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I heard about that contract too, but the details on the years was vague. Serenity can easily gross $80 million, maybe not opening weekend, but with DVD sales being a second box office, I think Universal will be qite happy with the results. The Universal reps last night were still surprised at the huge turnout for the press screening. They did not anticipate 400 people showing up for a 300 seat auditorium.

13. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Matt - if you live off of the 280 I can give you a ride home after the show if that's the whole reason you are picking up your car. But if you are going back to take a break, meet up with people, then that makes sense too.

Just let me know,

Kay Dee

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    ^Actually, that was the reason, Kathy. I'll take you up on the ride offer too. :)

15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    No problem Matt - I'll give you a lift home. It's pretty much on my way since I usually take 280 home anyway.

I'm still trying to figure out what time I'll be getting to Metreon. I don't want to fight traffic, I may aim for closer to between 7 and 8 and grab dinner there?

- Kay Dee

16. AnasianSkywalker

AnasianSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 2, 2003
    FYI here is what Kim, what of the Browncoats organizers posted on the SFBrowncoats yahoo! groups regarding the screening:

"800! 800 folks have bought tickets to see our little movie at the
    midnight show tomorrow night. Two theatres so far have been assigned
    the movie.

Due to the numbers of those attending, Arielle and I have decided the
    best way to try to hold some semblance of crowd management is to have
    only 1 sign-up at the Metreon. I know some of you were hoping to go
    straight to the Varnish, but we ask that you please sign up in line
    at the Metreon first and then head over to the Varnish. This will
    truly be easier on us. We are talking 800 people!

I understand that some people may line up really early in the day,
    but Arielle and I do have to go to work. I have not been able to
    talk to the key Metreon management re: this screening (playing some
    serious phone tag, we are) but I only ask that you do follow the
    management's direction. As soon as I get a hold of someone tomorrow,
    I shall post the information.

Arielle will arrive around 6 pm and will then start putting names
    down on a "line list." If you show up before her, just line up where
    the Metreon Management directs you (I truly hope this will not be
    outside at any time, put if your there during the day it just might
    be). 800 people!!

Okay, so the thought is that if people leave the line for food or the
    Varnish, try to be back in line by 10:30 PM. I'll know more
    tomorrow, but I'm hoping we'll be let into the theatres around 11 PM,
    giving us time to give away some nice shiny prizes. (FYI: We will
    not be able to guarantee your spot in line if it starts moving and
    you're not there.)

Arielle is also planning on some line party games with some cool
    giveaways to pass the time if you decide to remain in line.

I most likely will not get there until around 7:30 PM (coming from
    Livermore), and I will be heading over to the Varnish, but not to
    take names.

800 people!!!! I'm a bit blown away."

FYI - Varnish is an Art gallery on 77 Natoma that has been playing Firefly episodes for a while. And at around 8p, they will be showing the Making of Serenity that aired recently on the Sci-Fi Channel. They serve beer and so it of course open those only 21+, and some folks will be going there before the screening.

More info will be posted asap, and/or before Robert picks me up! [face_mischief]

Stay Tuned!

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Shiny!:D

Guess I'll be arriving a litle earlier than 6 PM like I had planned.

18. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I just finished the series last night. I'm all set! :D

19. Adyn

Adyn Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    I am SO incredibly jealous, and wiiiisssssssssssh I could be there with you guys!!! :_|

BUT, I know you'll all have enough fun to have some extra for me hahahha.

I just got my tix for Friday night, and got my dad & hubby all worked up about going as well, so it should be a fun evening. I'm curious to see how it will do here in Santa Cruz... being a smaller town, but also being a college town. EPI III was fairly tame here opening day, but they also played it on like 4 screens in our big theatre and everyone else had it too, of course. I hope Serenity makes a good showing here locally... I've done my best to spread the love hehehe.

Have a GREAT time you guys!!! I'll be thinkin of ya!!

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks for the info Dale! It sounds like it might be worth my while to get there closer to 6? Just not looking forward to fighting traffic.

- Kay Dee

21. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    It was a great time and a great movie! :D Lots of costumers and prizes (although we had better ones for our line ;)) It seemed a bit disorganized (again, ours was better). But all in all, a good time, and I won something...again!

Kathy, thanks for letting me look through the "Dressing A Galaxy" book. Robert and Dale, thanks for keeping me spoiler-free. It was worth it.

22. jawbreaker666

jawbreaker666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    hey all. Kristin and I just wanted to say thanks for a great night, and after seeing the movie I'm convinced that dale and robert should be pro-poker players, cause how you kept the spoiler...i have not clue. we were both floored.

23. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It was a cool movie, just wish Inara was in it more, and naked.:D

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Well the slight line confusion was annoying but I chalk that up to first timers, plus the fact so many disappeared to go to Varnish and came back to find the line all compacted. It will be a lesson for next time --- There Better be a NEXT TIME!

Once again, the movie rocked and was not afraid to take risks with the story and the characters.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Eh! =P~ *crosses fingers* DVD deleted scenes!

BTW, a co-worker of mine went to the 12:15 a.m. show and he said that it was a bad print, and that it went light and dark, had lots of lines, audio problems, etc. He finished it though, and got a refund anyway! Also, it's now playing in the IMAX theater at Metreon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.