FF:QLD Serenity

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarthOpus, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casual-jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Captain Reynolds eh???

I didn't know yer bread wuz buttered like that Goob. :p

...Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  2. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    There's a different way to butter bread?:confused:
  3. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm on my way to get me a copy of that bare butt, from JB Indooroopilly where they are now selling the Box set for... $25. They will hold for 24hrs, they have 6more in stock atm, and have just ordered another 20 copies.

SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    I've noticed that you can pretty much purchase it anywhere these days for that price, or close to anyway.
  5. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4

To quote Mal: I'm not Sly.

I was advocating Kahlan's purchase. :p
  6. MajorClod Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow.

Saw the screener Friday night, I enjoyed it immensly. I won't divulge any big spoilers here, I'll just talk about the overall feel of the film. Everything I loved from the series was there, bigger, yet darker. The film moved at a quick pace, the only downside being you miss out on some (not all) of the quieter character moments that work in a series so well.

One things for sure, Joss really knows how to take you on an emotional ride, it was intense. Knowing those characters really helps the emotional side of the film, I don't think it would be as good without knowing Firefly, and seeing these characters develop and change in these different situations to the series. The best thing about Serenity was that there wasn't a single moment where I was cringing from bad dialogue or acting. I didn't leave the cinema thinking that was sweet, but man... that NOOOOO was so lame.

If you are a fan of the series, you are going to love seeing our heros after such a long time. Its still the same old Firefly, just bigger, better and darker, the way it was originally meant to be.

If you haven't seen the series, you should still enjoy it, its a fun film, but to get the most out of it you'll need to know those characters, thats what its all about.
  7. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for sharing!

Five Questions:

1. Does it resolve much from the series?

2. Is anything left open for a sequel or (on the off chance another network buys the show from Fox) another series?

3. Is there sound in space?

4. In 1997's direct-to-video second sequel to "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids", hilariously retitled "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves!", only Rick Moranis remained from the original cast. As Adam was only a toddler in "Honey, I Blew Up The Kid", the different, teenage likeness is excusable. But Diane (the mother) is clearly an entirely different person. Does this mean there was an unseen 2.5th installment ("Honey, I've Given You Accidental Facial Surgery"), destined to be told only through speculative fanfiction?

5. If so, when will you be writing this fanfic?
  8. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL

My Goodness you're a funny lad Bob.
    Can one hire you for parties/ and or Eulogies?
  9. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Saw the preview when I went to see The Island last night. Very, very cool.
  10. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    OOOOOOOOOO Lozza pick me! What was the Island like???? Loks okay, but then again I'm thinking, Scarlett Johansen as a platinum blonde leading lady heroine, and Ewan as an action hero????
  11. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Why should I go see The Island? I think I saw 95% of the movie in the trailer, including the 2 huge twists!

We can almost start a countdown to Serenity!
  12. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
  13. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    If you're like me (and I know I am!) you're desperate for another Firefly fix and don't want to wait an entire two months for more. You might also be interested, then, in the three part Serenity comic series. It's co-written by Joss "I Am Really Very Awesome, Although I'm Not Admitting It" Whedon and bridges the series and movie.

You can find a preview at this link.

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=10-845

Reading those first few pages really feels like watching the show. It's so easy to imagine the voices and pacing. That really says a lot about the strength of the characters and writing, not to mention the imprint that show leaves in your mind. I'll definitely be picking this up if I can. Here's hoping they'll collect the three issues into a trade paperback before the movie.
  14. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Island RAWKS hard! Lozza and I immediately went out looking for the soundtrack after we saw it, and I would SO be up to see it again only I'm in the two-week costume countdown till D-day (departure that is).

Ewan as an action hero. YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (har-har)

But yeah.. ROOLLY YUMMY!

(inside yummy joke you will understand once you've seen the movie)
  15. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds good, I wonder if it will be out in Newsagents, Department stores, or Comics shops only?
    Grieyls?

If it's canon, great! The characters aren't drawn the best in some parts, but the essence of the show is definately there as HappyBob said.
  16. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Generally speaking Dark Horse comics by and larege do not appear on News Agencies shelves with some notable exceptions of course, ie; Star Wars, Buffy, Angel (Which is understandable as these all have a very big following as you would imagine) As such I doubt the Firefly comic will make it due to it's smaller audience. It may be the best Sci-Fi show to be created in a long time but that does not make it appealing to the masses, a pity really. Of course that is not to say that it won't appear in News Agencies only that it is unlikely. Still your bigger chain stores may get copies in.
  17. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks G.

Oh my god! Oh my god!

Serenity TRAILER is now online! Longer than the teaser and soooo much prettier! I've heard that there's no swearing in chinese, or chinese spoken at all in the movie. MajorClod? Imperial_Courtessan?
    How about sounds in space??
  18. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
  19. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm trying to be excited to keep up with you guys, but am yet to see Firefly the series. It's been on order at EZY DVD for 3 weeks and still hasn't come in..grumble grumble.

20. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that I work at EZYdvd in the Myer Centre, I'll let you know when it arrives :) .
  21. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    So, while we're all here twiddling our thumbs - what's everybody's favourite Firefly episode?

I'm voting for Out of Gas. It has a brilliant balance of brilliant drama, brilliant comedy, brilliant storytelling and general all-around brilliance.

Jaynestown and Trash tie for second place, mainly for the humour. I already had a huge deal of respect for Ben Edlund for creating The Tick, but these two episodes have pushed the Respect-O-Metre up to a dangerously high level.

I've just lent my set to BigBossNass. 50-50 odds that he'll be finished within 48 hours. The bets are on!
  22. ImperialCourtessan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Trash without a nano-second's hesitation - for reasons of obvious gratuous nekidness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh. my. GOD yes.

23. NeecH Force Ghost

star 4
    Serenity: The Movie -

There's definitly swearing in Chinese.

There's also no sound in the space scenes except for the last battle which takes place close to atmosphere and in a cloud of gas. Apparently they 'cheated' with this one to give the battle more impact.
  24. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for easing my (our) concerns NeecH.

The Episode list can be found in many places online if you don't have the box set near you, but most lists are the airing order, which was terrible. Imagine Objects in Space airing before other episodes! The Pilot screened half way through the season! Ick!
    Here's a FireFly episode list in intended order.

I like: Serenity (The Pilot), Mrs Reynolds, Out of Gas, Trash, The Message... I like the whole damn show!
  25. MajorClod Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chinese swearing is there. Sound in space is still absent. Sound on the edge of atmosphere or in gas clouds is, but its hardly a big issue. Our characters are very much the same.

I managed to pick up the last set of Serenity #2 I could find in Brisbane on Saturday. Can't read it yet though, I missed out on #1 so I had to order it from the US.

As far as favourite episodes go, it would be a hard choice between Out of Gas, Objects in Space and Ariel.

Everything in Out of Gas is excellent.. its shot well, put together well, some excellent moments with the crew. Love the background stories, and really shows Mal's love for Serenity.

If anything, I love Ariel for the confrontation at the end of the episode. I won't spoil anything here, but that moment is quite intense, and changed the way I view Mal.

Objects in Space... that opening sequence following River around the ship is fantastic, and really makes me feel for her. Jubal Early is an intense and cool character, and I feel we would have seen some more of him had the series continued.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.