1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:QLD Serenity

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarthOpus, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've just lent my set to BigBossNass. 50-50 odds that he'll be finished within 48 hours. The bets are on!
    Finished the final episode just 30 minutes ago. :D Am officially in love. And if it had been possible, I would hate Fox even more than I already do. Brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT show.

So, about all this talk of a Firefly marathon night just before the movie comes out...?
  2. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4

Amazing BBN. You would have read us raving about FireFly for so long, which may have given you expectations, but that show is so good that it made such a great impact on you. As it is for me, I'm guessing the affect on you is as different as it is for us all.

And as for a marathon, count me in! It would go for what, 10 hours. That's easy when we're all seeing it (as a group) for the first time.!
  3. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea! I finished watching Firefly on Sunday :) enjoyed v. much.
  4. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Those of us who enjoyed 'everyone including ewan mcgregor trying to kill ewan mcgregor' last night were also treated to the serenity preview on the big screen.

Looks good!
  5. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL yeah, we got that when we went to see it the day it came out... Though now having seen the series I'm trying to figure out how the movie fits in with it.
  6. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm gonna be relaly annoying and say that I didn't think the trailer looked that good. Dialogue and character looked good but the trailer itself didn't really get me in. I spoke to a couple of stores today about my delayed Firefly series coming to me, and they all said there were no stocks left in Australia to be found, and everyone was waiting! That right MurderSandwich??

If I haven't got it 2 weeks before the movie comes out, I will need to borrow it from those that have offered :)
  7. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You would have read us raving about FireFly for so long, which may have given you expectations, but that show is so good that it made such a great impact on you.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I've heard nothing but praise for it, so I was concerned that I would be expecting too much. As it was, I wasn't all that impressed for the first half of the pilot, but then it all just clicked in my head and I just GOT it. It's fantastic.
  8. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh... :)

I got my box set yesterday and watched Serenity parts 1&2 last night. Took me a while to get into it too, but by the end my husband and I were both sitting there thinking..cool!

Took me while to get used to the lead characters voice, kinda hard to pick up and sort of monotone. Actually I was told that he sounded a lot like when I talk, and you just get used to straining your ears to hear! THE CHEEK! True though.

So we are watching an episode a night for now. Might big screeen it tonight. I was worried about Goob's post about it being out of chronological order, but haven't really read the post in detail. Sorry GOob, but it seemed to make sense watching the first episodes well first! :)

Reminded me a quite a bit of Farscape, and some of the lines were very Angel, which is a good thing for me. THe characters were very real. Love the pilot. I guess I'll start remembering their names soon.

I'M in the CLUB!! :D
  9. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    For the second time is as many days, I'll resort to bold to ensure everybody reads something important:
    Ace Comics has issues one and two of the Serenity comic in stock.

There were plenty of copies on display today (and at least two of the three alternate covers available for each issue). Given the popularity of the series, though, it's hard to say how long they'll be there.

If you need more Firefly before the film, I definitely suggest you check it out. The medium works - it's close enough to an episode of the show to feel "authentic", and it certainly helps to have Whedon as a co-writer. The story includes at least one storyline that probably would have made it into the show had it not been axed, and there's a promise of some sort of grand revelation in issue three.

Unfortunatly, we have to wait another month for the final issue. Right now it feels like I've sat through a two thirds of a promising Firefly episode, only to discover somebody's taped over the ending.
  10. Lozza Jedi Master

star 4
    What is it w/ ppl axing sci-fi shows. The only sci-fi show that I can think of that managed to last the full story arc as conceived by the director/producer/writer AND wasn't (isn't) Star Trek or Star Gate was Babylon 5.
  11. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Kahlan wrote:
    [snip]
    Took me while to get used to the lead characters voice,

I'm sure by the time you get to "Trash", you'll quite like Mal. :p

[snip]
    I was worried about Goob's post about it being out of chronological order, but haven't really read the post in detail.

The show aired in the US in 2002/2003 out of order. The DVD Box set is in the correct order as Joss Whedon intended.

[snip]
    I'M in the CLUB!! :D

Good to see! Hope to see you guys there (wherever we see it) on September 29! :D
  12. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I just finished watching the pilot that I downloaded and I loved it! Im definatly going to watch the series! Excellent show! :D

So are we having a midnight show for Serenity? :p
  13. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hope to see you guys there (wherever we see it) on September 29! :D

It would take a horde of rampaging space monkeys to keep me away. :D
  14. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Space Monkies? cool, where can I get one?
  15. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    You can get them on Persephone.

No, wait! They're cheaper on Ariel!
  16. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Well then, I'll be off to get some :D
  17. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They'll mess up your engine room, though.
  18. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    OH NO!!!

I've only got 2 episodes left to watch! I'm wanting to keep them til the weekend or something, just so it lasts longer but I know I won't be able to!

Liked the naked one :), and had trouble watching War Stories. Almost had to slap my husband when Inara was making out with her female client. Must take her an hour every day to look gorgeous before she steps out of her shuttle!

Anyway..loving it. Don't want it to end. Where's the website demanding that more series be made? Count me in.
  19. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't worry Kahlan, it's just as good the second time around.
    ;)

"I'll be in my bunk" was a pearler of a line.
  20. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    Indeed it was!

Did Mr Whedon know he wasn't getting another series, cause it was SO NOT a final episode. Loved it though. And I really liked Kaylee in the last few episodes, and the doctor's relationship with Jane..or is it Jayne?..or is it Kahli??is that you got it from Kahli??

Anyway, it is all finished...too quick and too sad. WIsh there were 6 more seasons at least.

Serenity Fan!!...and I'm like a PR perosn for it with my friends and acquaintances right now. I have the feeling my dvd's will be doing rounds.
  21. Grieyls FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 6
    Join the Browncoats! ;)
  22. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    BROWNCOATS!!!

"I'll be in my bunk" was a pearler of a line.

Oh man, that line cracked me up. [face_laugh]

And mmmmmmmmm, Inara....
  23. GoobaFish Jedi Master

star 4
    Kahlan, the show was axed half way through the first season, so they finished the show they were filming and that was the end of it.
    As it says on your DVDs, some of the last episodes weren't even screened on US tv.

And I think you might mean (Doc) Simon's relationship with (Engineer) Kaylee. That was good, I would have liked to have seen where that went. Same with Mal and Inara. Hopefully the movie gives us some more to go on there... [face_shhh] MajorClod, IC!!
  24. Kahlan72 Jedi Master

star 4
    No I actually meant Simon's relationship with Jayne. The increasing sarcasm and comments about Jaynes stupidity and the ongoing tension re Jayne not wanting him aboard and after Simon knew about his betrayal. I liked the dynamic between them.

Interestingly Jayne reminded me of someone from around here :)

I admit I haven't read the DVD spiel and watched the special features yet. Makes sense if it ended half way through the season then.

I liked the Mal/ Inara thing but didn't think they would ever get together anyway, unless they wanted to ruin the show. I really didn't like the way Inara broke down after she found out about Mal and that "whore". Surely she wasn't THAT devastated! I was expecting it to be about something else. I actually always expected there to be some kind of storyline about Kaylee being infatuated with Mal..half way through the first episode I still thought they were together!

Anyway, I could discuss it all day. :D
  25. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Master

star 4
    I asked at work, and we CAN order in Firefly if you want. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.