1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (10th-12th November), Adelaide (17th-19th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (23rd-24th September), Sydney (30th September-1st October),

FF:QLD Serenity

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarthOpus, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieyls Jedi Knight

star 6
    Well in that case, let the mayhem begin ;)
  2. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ...so you'll be getting it through work then, MS? Staff Discount??? Nice! [face_dancing]
  3. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Definatly will. :D.

I might be able to get some Firefly boxset's for you guys, at 10% off, if you want. ;)
  4. General Cargin Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be interested if the preview I shall be looking at soon proves interesting.
  5. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    [link=http://www.serenitymovie.com.au]The Australian Serenity Website[/link] by UIP has a competition running to win $5000 to spend on "your own version of Serenity".

Lots of forums, too.
  6. Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I was watching Titan AE a few nights ago, and commented- to the other person on my couch- that it was reminding me of Serenity..only to discover at the end credits that Joss Whedon wrote the screenplay. I was proud :D LOL

Watch it again..you'll notice too. And on another point, I WANT ONE OF THOSE BROCHURES FROM BCC!!!!

7. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    ...anyone else enter the competition?

This article (also found online or I'd have had to transcribe it all!) was in the Australian the other day.

Outsider finds Serenity in another unverse.
    September 14, 2005.
    Buffy creator Joss Whedon continues his obsession with word play and powerful girl-women in his latest big-screen effort, says Sophie Tedmanson.

YOU can understand why Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, has a thing for the Mad Max films. With rugged landscapes, savage violence and post-apocalyptic adventures, there are obvious influences of George Miller's films in many of Whedon's creations, especially in his new movie Serenity, with deadly bad guys called Reevers who look like something from the legendary road movies.

"I've been talking a lot about the different precursors [to Serenity] and there's Star Wars, Aliens ... and the one I keep leaving out is Mad Max," Whedon says.

"We tried so hard not to make the Reevers look too much like Mad Max rejects ... [but] some of them do. It's inevitable that you're going to run into some of that territory when somebody does it first and they do it right."

Whedon describes the second Mad Max instalment, The Road Warrior (1981), as a perfect film. He also cites Milos Forman's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975), for which Jack Nicholson won his first Oscar, and the 1956 musical comedy The Court Jester, which starred Danny Kaye.

He means perfect in the all-encompassing sense, in that the film-maker gets it right on all counts, from script to screen.

"There are very few movies that I think of as kind of perfect and they are not always my favourite movies necessarily but [ones where] I just sort of go: 'I think that's perfect."'

Whedon - a multi-tasker who writes, directs, produces and composes soundtracks - is sitting in an empty bar at the top of a Sydney hotel, trying to politely stifle the yawns that keep coming as a result of his jet lag. He is on his visit to Australia to promote Serenity, based on his ill-fated television series Firefly. The series, about a crew trying to survive aboard a small spaceship 500 years in the future, was canned in the US before the first series ended in 2002.

But the show's fans helped keep it alive by buying copies of the series DVD in bulk and making Universal Pictures take enough notice to ask Whedon to make a feature film.

Whedon screenplays are known for their wit, clever dialogue and cultural references. They include the 1996 animated feature Toy Story, which Whedon co-wrote.

He loves English literature, especially Shakespeare - "English was the only subject that I actually completed my A Levels in" - and he studied Russian, German and Latin.

"The poetry of everyday speech is something that has always fascinated me and the great thing about Serenity was I really got to create a language and it was really just based on other things that I'd experienced or read or seen: Elizabethan English, turn-of-the-century Pennsylvanian Dutch, some Irish.

"I'll take a colloquialism from anybody and make them up [with] bits and pieces and when you do that, and it all starts to flow and you get it right, it's an extraordinary feeling. It's like writing music, it's not just like writingdialogue."

Most of Whedon's works involve made-up worlds and he explains his attraction to science fiction as something that "comes from being an outsider".

"A lot of the great science fiction works are very complex sociological examinations of the human condition," he says.

"They really are entire universes and if somebody is very alone, then they can go and live in them. I think the attraction, more than anything else for me, is a world that I am welcome in, better than the one that I am in. [But] now I feel this world is pretty good: I have a job, I have a family and I've started to live like a person might, and that was a long time coming."

Whedon is also famous for creating strong female characters: Buffy has long been hailed as an alternative feminist. Serenity ce
  8. General Cargin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I've watched Firefly, and all I can is "Bring on September 29!"

I'll have to settle for a Jayne hat for opening night - Wash just doesn't cut it without someone to pussy-whip him...
  9. MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight

star 5
    I still havent seen this show yet...but i feel compelled to now!

I can possibly lend some star trek next gen bos sets when i get them :p
  10. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    Heh, I'd love to see you in a Jayne hat, Cargin :p
  11. Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hey I could tell ya what to do all night Cargin if you like ;)
  12. General Cargin Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll get my Hawaiian shirt, Kahlan... ;)

BBN, I'm not sure which cinema I'll be at on the 29th, but I'll be wearing the Jayne hat for it. :D
  13. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    If you can find them, I suggest you all pick up all three issues of the Serenity comic series. They combine to form what is essentially a new Firefly episode. The story isn't essential by any means, but it will explain why certain things are ...different... at the start of the film.

The novelisation and Visual Companion are also out. A word of warning: do not open (or even touch) the Visual Companion until after you've seen the movie! Even a curious glance could potentially spoil the movie - one of the most significant moments in the film gets a full page photo. Once you've seen it, though, BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT! It has the entire screenplay, lengthy and in-depth interview with Joss and many production notes. (He goes into a lot of great details about the writing process. As an aspiring scriptwriter, I found this a dream come true.) The script section is full of great concept art and storyboards. You can also find out about certain deleted and altered scenes.

The novel seems worthwhile too. Keith R.A. DeCandido is obviously a big Firefly fan - he opens the book with the opening scene from the pilot and references a deleted scene from the same opening. You can find a spoiler-free excerpt [link=http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/index.html?fuseaction=tools.shownews&news_id=175]here[/link].

Note that all of the above products are somewhat schizophrenic in their availability. The three comic shops around the mall seem to order all three items in often, but being Firefly-related, they get snapped up very quickly.

There's also that action figure of Mal Reynolds that looks nothing like Mal Reynolds. Whatever floats your boat.
  14. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I got my copy of the VC from Daily Planet, who had at least one more in stock, and the girl at Comics Etc said that they would be getting more in soon. Sniff around, you ought to be able to find one somewhere.
  15. Grieyls Jedi Knight

star 6
    Even if you order them online... Heaven forbid [face_worried]
  16. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The [link=http://www.serenitymovie.com]Official Site[/link] has been changed and looks awesome.

I like the "wallpaper creater".
  17. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan

star 4
  18. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    HappyBob, are you able to bring the comics Thursday night?
  19. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Would anybody be interested in seeing Serenity next saturday 'arvo at southbank?

I can't go to the premiere, and I'd love to go see it with you guys. And BBN, I'd be able to give you your DVD's then, if you wanted to go.
  20. Grieyls Jedi Knight

star 6
    Well seeing as Thursday is a no go for me I would have to say that Sat arvo is a very good option indeed :D
  21. General Cargin Jedi Master

star 4
    I've got my Jayne hat ready to go, my goatee is coming along nicely and I just have to find a banded t-shirt. That shouldn't be too hard.
  22. Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Got my Monday tv week and saw that Serentiy was the Movie of the week and had been given 4 1/2 stars!! OKay so tv week isn't gospel on movie reviews but seriously, they normally don;t even give sci-fi a showing. I am SO excited about Thursday!! PLease everyone who can come come!!!!
  23. GoobaFish Jedi Padawan

star 4
    M_S, sorry mate I can't make it back down for it on the weekend, but I hope you can see it with some fellow fans!

Oh, I've got my attire organised for the movie, too.
    ;)
  24. Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That's cool, Goob. Maybe next time.

Anybody else want to go on the Saturday?
  25. HappyBob Jedi Master

star 4
    Just thought I'd say that BBN and I are about 90% through our Firefly marathon shindig thing. Everybody concerned is quite drunk. Wheeeee!

HappyBob, are you able to bring the comics Thursday night?

Ack! Sorry, I just lent them to a friend a few minutes ago. A thousand and one apologies.

If anyone wants a brief-but-spoiler-filled comic synopsis, email me (happybob_ at hotmail dot com) and I'll happily send one over.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.