main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA SERENITY

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by The-Bald-Wookiee, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Bald-Wookiee

The-Bald-Wookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2005
    Holy Crap!!

I just got back from seeing Serenity the movie based on the very short-lived, but very excellent(thank you Kai) t.v. series called Firefly. Wow. I'm happy to say I think this movie puts the last three Star Wars movies to shame, yes all of them. And this opinion isn't based just on my affinity for the show(did I say thanks to Kai yet?), but on my sense of story, and my appreciation of a good story well told. This was a hell of a story. I don't think an unfamiliarity with the show would hurt anyone's ability to enjoy Serenity, but knowing the characters makes it even better. The fact that I can actually care about these people is a definite leg up over The Prequels. Yes, it was an emotional moment when Obi Wan defeats Anakin, and yells, "You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them! It was you who would bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness!" even after all the corny garbage that came before it. Not half as poweful as Wash's whispered, "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

Easily the best science fiction movie of the year, and definitely one of the best action movies of the year. Certainly my favorite so far.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone into sci-fi and good stories. I know I can't wait to see it again.

The t.v. show is well worth watching for that matter(pretty sure I've thanked Kai, but just in case... Thanks Kai!).

There, I've said my piece.[face_cowboy]

2. mileniumhanandshrimp

mileniumhanandshrimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2005
    wow. glad you liked it, sounds impressive.

now who did you say turned you on to this, again? ;)

3. xdarthsmithiousx

xdarthsmithiousx Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2005
    in my best impression of the father of George Costanza from Seinfeld..."SERENITY NOW!!!"

4. Liz_Skywalker

Liz_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2005
    is firefly on dvd yet? i just finished Lost and i'm going through withdrawls already. i need a new show. though i guess i can take this opportunity to catch up on InuYasha.

5. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    Firefly's been out for a while on DVD, I picked it up at Comic-Con on a whim, after seeing the enthusiam of some of it's fans. Great show.

6. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Glad you liked it! :) I've seen it...er...several times now. I was lucky enough to attend two of the prescreenings through the SF Browncoats, of which I am a very small part, and then went to the midnight premiere and took a friend and my mom to see two different screenings (just got back from one today, in fact).

I have to admit, as much as I love Firefly and Serenity, I felt a small "ow" when I read that you think they put the Star Wars prequels to shame. Not because I disagree, unfortunately...but because I DO agree, and to love Star Wars so much and yet admit, "You know what? This movie does it...way way better." That hurts. At least, it does for me.

I will always love Star Wars for the first set of movies, for my childhood, and for lucid, shining moments in the prequels that cut through the bantha poodoo of the rest of the movies. But...argh. When it comes to good dialogue and characters with dimensionality...

...gotta go with Firefly and Serenity, damn it.

*But loves her Star Wars, nonetheless...as I know we all do, warts and all*

- Kai

7. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    Yes! I still love Star Wars, the First Three were a huge part of my youth, and still are for that matter. Part of the thing is that when I see the originals I see them with those eyes I had when I first saw them. And when I see the new ones I see them with, what I'd like to think, are more advanced I eyes. Eyes that have seen and studied and have a much greater affinity for the art of Storytelling. So I have a tendency to be more critical where the Prequels are concerned, but they really are not very well written (I've actually rewritten them in my head, and I think my versions are much better, but it's a lot easier being an armchair revisionist). Visually they are fantastic, but they have no heart. It's like Lucas spent all his time on the look and the design, and ignored the actors altogether (which is actually pretty close to what he has admitted he did).

Serenity is just a better story, better acted, and most certainly better written. It has a heart. And this is the most important difference.

The funny thing is Serenity will do nothing near the business of Episode III. In fact it's dropped from #2 to #9 in a week at the box office. I want it to have the staying power to be successful financially, and I believe in the loyalty of the fans to keep it from going under for a while, but smart science fiction has always been box office poison, for some bizarre reason. The Dukes of Hazzard made three times what Serenity did during its first week. So there's no telling what the average American movie viewing public is thinking[face_hypnotized]. (Serenity's reviews were universally better, so go figure).

My Mom's hooked on Firefly too, I loaned her the DVDs because she really, really liked Star Trek The Next Generation and Stargate SG-1, and is the reason we saw Star Wars in the first place. Now she's bugging me to go see Serenity again (not really bugging 'cause I want to see it again too, but we saw it Friday, and she's mentioned it twice now that she's ready to see it again)(I've got a cool Mom!).

I'm still gonna go out dressed as General Grievous, and whip poor Jedi Subete (before having to tackle Obi Wan) tho'. The best thing about all of Star Wars is that Lucas has given us a wonderful universe to play in, and we can make it so much more than the movies were. And in that he's got the jump on Joss Whedon, because Star Wars has got practically thirty years of stuff to work with.

But when the movies come out on DVD Serenity's got my money first day, for Star Wars I'll wait and see what changes Lucas is going to make, and what other versions he may put out, or at least put 'em all together in one big 'ol set. (I may just have my old, letterboxed, untweaked videos converted to DVD, for my own personal use, and leave it at that... probably not, the duel at the end of Episode I was just too cool).

...Not to mention the fact that, here I am posting all this on the Star Wars boards, while only occasionally glancing at the Firefly boards and little more.:D

8. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    < ...Not to mention the fact that, here I am posting all this on the Star Wars boards, while only occasionally glancing at the Firefly boards and little more. >

true dat. and yes, warts and all, we loves us the star wars ;)

9. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    I can understand some people liking the original trilogy and not really caring for the new three movies, but ever since Revenge Of The Sith came out, I haven't really thought of the Star Wars movies as two trilogies at all. I look at Star Wars as one long story, in six chapters(or episodes, duh).Like ANY story, there are parts that are more interesting than others, and parts than you don't really care for. Jar Jar, or Anakin's whining, or Luke's bad hair, it all comes with the territory as far as I'm concerned. Every one of my favorite movies all have at least a part or two that doesn't really do anything special for me, but the scenes that affect me make everything worthwhile. It's hard for me to even think of the original trilogy VS the new ones, because they're all one story for me.

As for Serenity: I REALLY want to see it, but I'm waiting to watch Firefly on dvd first so I know what's going on more.

10. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    as i recall, they say you don't actually have to watch the series first, that the movie stands by itself pretty well, and is enjoyable that way.

11. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    You will get more out of Serenity if you see Firefly first, or at least an episode or two. However, I have been around several people who have never seen Firefly, saw Serenity, and "got it" and enjoyed it. So, it won't be a "no fun" experience without first seeing Firefly. And hey, if you can get out there soon and see it, that's a good thing for the (hopeful) franchise, because--as was pointed out--it's struggling in the box office. Every little bit helps. :)

And yes, I love Star Wars, warts and all, and post here all the time, and almost never on the Firefly/Serenity boards. Star Wars has been a lifelong love affair for me, even when the relationship hasn't been as rewarding as it sometimes was. ;)

And the point about Lucas having created this wonderful universe to play in is really true. Most of my enjoyment from SW these days comes from fellow fans, from the Knights of the Old Republic games, and other ways in which people aside from Lucas himself are playing in that universe. I get a lot of joy from that.

- Kai

12. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    I'm just the type of person who insists on seeing the firsts of everything before any sequels/continuations. It's kind of like the Chornicles Of Riddick, a lot of people didn't know that it was the second movie, but they still enjoyed it(some people did I hope). Liz and I got a lot more out of it because we were big fans of the first movie, Pitch Black. From what I've seen and heard, Serenity looks amazing and well put together. Now if only Netflix would take the first disc of the series off of "Long Wait", and send it to us!!! GRRRRR.

13. Ischade

Ischade Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    ahh...Firefly...fun show....i think my favourite bit has Got to be the opening shot of this past Friday's show.........Mal...sitting on a rock...in the middle of a rather barren..scrub-brushy-type...desert...absolutely....totally.....Naked.......his first line??....."that went well...."....

meow.....

me*

14. Liz_Skywalker

May 22, 2005
    >>(I've got a cool Mom!)<<

i feel the same way about my dad (not that i don't love my mom, it's just different). if it weren't for him, i might not be obsessed with silver shiny pokey sharp things, sci-fi, or fantasy. though, i think if you asked him, he'd say he created a monster.

15. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    < ....."that went well....".... >

yeah, i know that feeling...

16. Yodaa

Yodaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    I am with Jerry.... I need to watch the Series first. I found and ordered it on Amazon... should be here in a few days. Jerry, if you want to come over for a weekend Marathon of Firefly, I hope to have it by the weekend. Anyone else who wishes to come by is welcome. Then I hope to see the Movie next week.

17. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    Sounds like a plan

18. The-Bald-Wookiee

Feb 13, 2005
    Hmmmmmmmm, I guess I could sit through Firefly again. If only I could find a place to get the hat... I know Kai knows which one I'm talking about... THE hat :D I could totally pull that off.

------------"Ah! Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal!"-----------

Ischade, the Mal's Butt Opening was a cool episode, my favorite line tho' is, "I'm sorry to interruput your CRAZY TIME!!!"

Hee hee hee, it really is a fun show.

If it weren't so freakin' late already I'd watch one now. Today has been a loooong day. I had to get up an hour earlier than normal so I could go to an In-Service, but they fed us... which is nice. Then I get home with just enough time to check the boards and have a quick 30 min. nap (didn't get to sleep on time as it was), then off to Tulare for an extraordinarily long Dive class. In fact I haven't been home for much more than half an hour... In even facter, I should really be in bed now. So, umm... night! [face_tired]

19. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Yeah, the "sitting on the rock" shot is awesome...both for the body sitting on the rock, but also for the delivery of the first line, and then the looooooooooooooooong flashback that explains how he got there, and why it was a good day.

And yes, the Wook'd look great with THE hat. ;) And so, just to help...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jayne-hat-Firefly-Serenity_W0QQitemZ4777718771QQcategoryZ60377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- Kai

20. Liz_Skywalker

May 22, 2005
    aw, i could prolly whip one of those up for you Mr. Wookibaldi if you'd really like one. grant you, i'm no professional.

(knitting, one of Liz's lesser-known talents)

21. mileniumhanandshrimp

Feb 13, 2005
    < And yes, the Wook'd look great with THE hat. wink And so, just to help... >

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jayne-hat-Firefly-Serenity_W0QQitemZ4777718771QQcategoryZ60377QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

awww, yeah... very fetching. we should all wear those! and now that we will be practicing all winter in the freezing cold, it might even be a good idea.

woman, get to knittin' ;)

22. xdarthsmithiousx

May 18, 2005
    Liz and I watched the first episode of Firefly last night, and I was greatly impressed. For some reason I recognized the captain, so I looked it up on the very informative IMDB
    and looked him up and it all came back to me.

I don't know if anyone's ever seen Saving Private Ryan before, but there's a scene in it where the soldiers find a soldier called Ryan, who they think is the one they're looking for, and they break the news to him that his brothers were killed(the ryan they were looking for lost three brothers in combat). The man insantly breaks down, bawling his eyes out and is hysterical. He asked how his brothers died, and the soliders tell him that it was in combat, and then Ryan replies with something like..."what?? my brothers are only twelve" or something like that, and finds out that he wasn't the one they were looking for, and he just lost it and bawled for nothing. hahaha. SO yeah, the man who plays the wrong Ryan, is the captain form Firefly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.